Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, plenty of examples of clear non bot accounts though.

image.png.0b75951729a4928ac5965d159c57ad17.png

Fwiw, I've had a few friends of late have their social media account hacked, although this will no doubt act as a highly convenient excuse for genuine bigoted arseholes out there.

That said, when they're hacked, it's usually for somebody's attempted gain, e.g. trying to get personal data through PMs, rather than just being plain nasty.

It's times like this where you see people's real thoughts, i.e. the types that try to appear woke whilst harbouring abhorrent views.  It's for this reason that I believe you can't fully trust somebody unless you've been out on the piss with them. 

I'm finding the whole 'don't worry, this is just another step along the road to winning World Cup 2022' narrative that is emerging a bit bemusing. The point is being made that this tournament saw them go one step further than 2018, and that this crop of players are destined for greater things.

What I find confusing is that it's being played as some sort of litany of continual development from 2017 onwards. Half of the players in this tournament's squad weren't even at WC2018, and some of the players being heralded as the future back then, Alli, Lingard, Dier, for example, have since been discarded and are viewed as joke peripheral figures. Is this some sort of subconscious admission that it's highly likely that some of this 'golden generation' are likely to have disappeared up their own arses by winter 2022?

I can't recall Foden, Mount, Saka, Rashford, Sancho, or Bellingham doing anything of note at all in this entire tournament (except choking penalty kicks), rather everything successful that England did came about through the 'old guard' of Kane and Sterling, so what's to say that the aforementioned youngsters aren't just this cycle's version of Alli and Lingard? Can't say I saw anything in them that would have me particularly excited if I was English.

Perhaps if they had a manager with the brain capacity to develop anything more than a completely sterile and negative defensive system that actually exploited some of this alleged attacking talent, then some of their optimism would be well founded, but as it is it just looks like yet more desperate straw clutching and trying to put a brave face on yet another failure in the face of every advantage possible being handed to them on a plate.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Fwiw, I've had a few friends of late have their social media account hacked, although this will no doubt act as a highly convenient excuse for genuine bigoted arseholes out there.

That said, when they're hacked, it's usually for somebody's attempted gain, e.g. trying to get personal data through PMs, rather than just being plain nasty.

It's times like this where you see people's real thoughts, i.e. the types that try to appear woke whilst harbouring abhorrent views.  It's for this reason that I believe you can't fully trust somebody unless you've been out on the piss with them. 

He had some other 'dodgy' views.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Yup, the old 'I didn't mean that , I was drunk' excuse has never flown with me and is actually the total opposite. All the real shit that resides up there comes out when the inhibitions are lowered.

I've drifted away and lost many a friendship due to people being unpleasant with a bevvy in them.

Edited by djchapsticks

Also, back to tonight's game. Had England won that, Harry Maguire's penalty sparking the camera in the goal clean out would have been memed to death by them.

As it is now an afterthought though and will in no way be celebrated,  I can freely admit that it was as cool as f**k and I was very impressed by it.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Also, back to tonight's game. Had England won that, Harry Maguire's penalty sparking the camera in the goal clean out would have been memed to death by them.

As it is now an afterthought though and will in no way be celebrated,  I can freely admit that it was as cool as f**k and I was very impressed by it.

It was some fucking penalty like, worthy of praise. It wrecking the camera made it especially cool. Too bad it was followed by the complete opposite from Rashford, and the subsequent 2 misses.

Oh well...

Italy have a few of those individual players folk over here rate way above their level because they play in a league we don't see as much of, and are thought of as being a bit exotic as a result.  In a similar vein you have folk talking about Luke Shaw as if he's a complete diddy despite the fact he's been very good for the last year or so at least.
Mkay

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Was a belter. Reminded me of the Grandstand opening credits.

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Full replay is on BBC right now, in case any borderline insomniacs/folk who are still pished and on a high fancy watching the hilarity all over again.

For a whole month I've thought "what sort of weirdo wants to watch the entirety of a game they can find out the ft score for on demand (at 2am)?"

Now I know.

Eta: funnier now knowing that Italy won this having offered nothing for the entirety of the first half.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

For a whole month I've thought "what sort of weirdo wants to watch the entirety of a game they can find out the ft score for on demand (at 2am)?"

Now I know.

I'll put my hand up and admit it's something I do quite often, as watching a game a 2nd time lets me concentrate more on off-the-ball stuff that I missed the first time around, and confirm things I thought I did or did not see the first time around.

Yes, I'm a nerd. Not ashamed to admit it. :geek

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'll put my hand up and admit it's something I do quite often, as watching a game a 2nd time lets me concentrate more on off-the-ball stuff that I missed the first time around, and confirm things I thought I did or did not see the first time around.

Yes, I'm a nerd. Not ashamed to admit it. :geek

I know what you mean. One of the aerial shots shows a wifey with a crutch dressed in a toga towards the front at some point, and I didn't see enough of her the first time around to commit to a  "wid"-type post.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
5 hours ago, Fratelli said:
Italy have a few of those individual players folk over here rate way above their level because they play in a league we don't see as much of, and are thought of as being a bit exotic as a result.  In a similar vein you have folk talking about Luke Shaw as if he's a complete diddy despite the fact he's been very good for the last year or so at least.

Mkay

I stand by that. Players like Insigne and Immobile ( to a lesser extent - i think he's just off form) are thought of by some as being verging on world class level players and then folk are astounded when they see them in games like this making mistakes and being fairly anonymous in spells.  Players who play in Serie A or the Bundesliga have a bit more of an allure to folk over here than players they see playing every week in the Premier League. Like how Thiago Silva went from being the hipsters favourite to a supposed fraud when folk saw that he wasn't infallible when he chucked a couple in against West Brom. 

Watched the game over in Carrickfergus this evening, with very much a neutral audience, so no sway either way. It wasn’t a classic with both sides evenly matched. Shame it had to go to penalties but well done Italy. Will welcome the newly crowed European Champions to Windsor Park in November.

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I know what you mean. One of the aerial shots shows a wifey with a crutch dressed in a toga towards the front at some point, and I didn't see enough of her the first time around to commit to a  "wid"-type post.

I clocked a rather substantial black lassie in the crowd once or twice, who appeared to be wearing some sort of metal band T-shirt, and had a decidedly 'what the f**k am I even doing here' look on her face both times the camera focussed on her. She was really out of focus on one shot and looked like some sort of demonic avenging spirit come to claim the soul of anyone who claims Jack Grealish is a big sand-dancing pansy. I'm keeping an eye out for her.

Southgate's coaching limitations exposed. Seems to have a limited range of pre-planned substitutions and struggles to respond to how the game develops. After the first half hour it was clear that Italy had control of the game and he needed to change something.