Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

I see Southgate's tactics are under fire. Yes, they were negative and boring, but they worked for the most part. They got England to a final even though some of their more talented attacking players were given limited game time. In particular, Foden and Sancho did not get much time on the field. The only time other than tonight I saw England really struggle was against Scotland and I think that's what spooked him. England were bested in midfield by a side that, from our own admission, are no world beaters. From there, the shape changed to a more Conservative approach. 

The use of Grealish seems to take most the heat, but what did he offer tonight? Southgate has him bang to right - a luxury player that cannot be trusted when the going gets tough because he is totally useless in a scrap. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Your pundits were giving it - Kane is dropping deep tonight and dragging the Italians all over the place. England lose and Southgate gets blamed for playing Kane so deep.

Quite amusing that the system that got England to the final is now under scrutiny. To the surprise of absolutely no one.

Yeah .. all true .. thats the thing with the "goals win games, defences win tournaments" thing .. when it fails it makes you look a right unimaginative c**t. when it works its garlands all round.

He got credit for sticking to his gameplan .. but now it blew up .. ???

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

G9vXZFC.gif

Not sure the point you are making, it's difficult to process combined with officially the worst comedian in the world being shown in gif format, but be aware, as Scots we only look small minded when celebrating an English defeat. No matter the amount of joy that brings, and trust me it's considerable, any nationalist has to rationalist that emotion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fucking ecstatic England lost, but ultimately we need to move on from that singular dimension. We are more than just the rivals to England.

Right, it's a bit late, but let's nip this in the fucking bud.

Football does not belong to England, and as such, it was neither the invention England gave to the world neither is it ever "coming home".

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Your pundits were giving it - Kane is dropping deep tonight and dragging the Italians all over the place. England lose and Southgate gets blamed for playing Kane so deep.

Quite amusing that the system that got England to the final is now under scrutiny. To the surprise of absolutely no one.

Hysterical that their star goal scorer had zero touches inside the box tonight.

10 minutes ago, SoloXI said:

ffs .. trust me, only moonhowlers are talking about Scotland tonight. Why would England care about how well the Scotland team is doing more than, say, Celtic care about how Falkirk are doing. Yeah, they are close by but .. ffs.. get real .. 

Is that the Scotland team that outplayed you less than 2 weeks ago.

England just finally got found out the night.

They ain't that good

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Running that through Google Translate, because I'm too lazy to decipher Italian at 1 in the morning...

The faces of women, men, old, young, children and those who saved our lives: doctors
You pushed us! You helped us! You sang with us!

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Right, it's a bit late, but let's nip this in the fucking bud.

Football does not belong to England, and as such, it was neither the invention England gave to the world neither is it ever "coming home".

In Italy it's not even called football. It's called calcio, because it's a codified version of the 16th century Florentine sport.

England didn't invent football, they were just the first to get a lot of those playing it to agree to a common set of rules. 

Just now, GordonS said:

In Italy it's not even called football. It's called calcio, because it's a codified version of the 16th century Florentine sport.

England didn't invent football, they were just the first to get a lot of those playing it to agree to a common set of rules. 

I think you'll find the English media's narrative may differ..  ;)

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Could quite easily see Chiellini and Bonucci playing Calcio storico.