Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

Yeah I like the breakfast show and the H and J show but avoiding it like the plague the now.

Adrian Durham, Goldstein and Cundy will be insufferable for months if they win on Sunday.
If they lose on Sunday you can guarantee that Durham will do some clickbait piece on Monday's drive that slags off Southgate.

2 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Honestly believe this will continue on Sunday, it’s going to be a such a massive ‘come down’ for the England faithful if it does. Don’t think we’ve ever seen such levels of hysteria. The mourning after Wembley 96 will pale into insignificance.

If you believe England fans are sure they are going to win then you are 100% wrong.

They know England are playing a top, top team .. its almost a free hit for them (bar a pumping in the final). Theyve exceeded most folks expectations and then some more. Made some great memories for the country.

Its a win-win for England.

If you believe England fans are sure they are going to win then you are 100% wrong.
They know England are playing a top, top team .. its almost a free hit for them (bar a pumping in the final). Theyve exceeded most folks expectations and then some more. Made some great memories for the country.

Have they really exceeded expectations? I had them as favourites for the group. I thought if Germany had played like they did against Portugal then they'd probably have been knocked out but Germany were also gash in their group as well so it was always going one of two ways. From then on I expected them to beat Ukraine and Denmark; though if Denmark were at home I may have fancied them.

The Italy game is genuinely the first game I expect them to lose. I think after the Germany game they've done exactly what most folk would have expected to have happened if using an objective head.

Agreed, I think they have exceeded the expectations of most, but the anticipation of ‘football coming home’ is now at a level, where defeat on Sunday is almost unthinkable. That’s certainly how it seems looking in, given the wall to wall, round the clock build up. I’ve no axe to grind with the England side (apart from the theatrics[emoji849]), but the mega-hype is going to absolutely crush your support should you lose. The pressure on the players must be incredible too, far beyond Italia 90 or Euro 96.
I’ve got so many result/score predictions wrong this tournament, if I go Italy 2-0, I might just be doing you a favour. Good luck anyway fwiw, it’s a media blackout for me now, right up to kick off.

It will be another tight and cagey game and I think extra time/penalties is the most likely outcome.
Austria took Italy to extra time, they squeaked by Belgium with some fine shit housery and they needed penalties to beat Spain.
They aren’t going to come to Wembley and blow England away.
Similarly, I can’t see England scoring more than one against that Italian defence.
1-1 AET
Italy win 5-4 on penalties. Kane misses the crucial kick - can’t knock the rebound in on shoot outs.

I've already said I dont expect us to win against Italy but this tournament has surpassed any previous experiences as an England fan and even if the Roman's pump us 5-0 I'll still be happy with how we actually managed to look efficient in knock out stages against good opposition.  So as @SoloXI says it's a win win for me, if we lose I'll still have fond memories but if we win I'll be beyond ecstatic! 

Whereas predecessors as England coach would stick to talking about matters on the field, Southgate has often talked about the role of sports in uniting the country since the 2016 Brexit referendum. And he doesn’t shy away from how the nation has been shaped by military conflicts — and the place victory over Nazi Germany in World War II has in the sense of nationhood.

Southgate brought up how much it resonated that England beat the modern-day Germany 2-0 in the round of 16 at Euro 2020.

“People have tried to invade us and we’ve had the courage to hold that back,” Southgate said. “You can’t hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that. I never mentioned that to the players, but I know that’s part of what that story was.”

https://apnews.com/article/euro-2020-europe-sports-soccer-international-soccer-8f576098ebec191c2dd9c7d318489239

Completely normal, you get all sorts of gammons going on about a war that was fought 20 years before they were born as if they were an integral part of the downfall of the Third Reich.
They'll say it's banter but we all know that when they sing songs like 10 German bombers they are showing their true racist colours.

I'm on a large FB group that normally posts pics and stuff about long-lost grounds - it's been inundated with these arrogant p***ks in the past few weeks. The types that moan about woke lefties and "not bending to the knee". The thing is - when you check their profiles, to a man, they are all fat, balding, Al Murray lookalikes. It's also noticeable then certain clubs seem to have more than their fair share of these wankers - Chelsea, Leeds, Millwall, West Ham and Man United.