Failed Statelet Premier League & Other Divisions 2021/22

Ballymena suspend fans after pitch invasion and altercation - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59797071

A pal at the game put in our group ‘match chat’, that 4 lads jumped over the perimeter wall of the main stand when their second went in, Conor McKendry (who had been exchanging a ‘bit of banter’ with the home support) was still on the ground from an incident leading up to the goal, near the touchline. At least one of the fans appeared to ‘remonstrate’ with the player as he lay stricken awaiting attention, my pal was unsure if the fan had actually taken a swing. A couple of stewards and players then got involved in the ensuing melee, which made things look even worse. No excuse for encroaching the field of play though, expect all four will receive lengthy suspensions from attending Warden Street, if not a life ban for the individual who approached the injured player.

Championship Round Up 01/01/22: Firstly a couple of games called off on this weekend’s card; Knockbreda Vs Welders postponed on Friday afternoon along with the Loughgall Vs Ards game today.

On to the action;
Not a good afternoon for leaders Newry who faltered again at lowly Institute in a goalless draw at The Brandywell. City missing a penalty shortly after defender Stephen Moan had received his marching orders for a second yellow.
Ballyclare's brief resurgence ended at home to Annagh United, after going a goal in front through Tom Mathieson, the visitors hit back with two 2nd half goals in quick succession from Niall Henderson and Lee Upton to take all three points at Dixon Park.
Dundela and Dergview served up an exciting contest in East Belfast, the home side clawing back an early 2 goal deficit to secure a 2-2 draw. Former Ballymena stalwart, right back Tony Kane on the scoresheet for the Duns.
Over in Enniskillen, Sean McEvoy and talisman BJ Banda both enjoyed a brace as The Mallards hammered bottom club Queens Uni  5-0; Ballinamallard retain 2nd spot with the win but remain 6 points behind the leaders and having played a game more than 3rd place Annagh United.
A quick look at the top of the table then before the break.

Newry City P23 PTS 47
Ballinamallard P23 PTS 41
Annagh United P22 PTS 41

It's as you were at the bottom,

Dundela P23 PTS 21
Institute P23 PTS 20
Queens P23 PTS 9

18 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Over in Enniskillen, Sean McEvoy and talisman BJ Banda both enjoyed a brace as The Mallards hammered bottom club Queens Uni  5-0; Ballinamallard retain 2nd spot with the win but remain 6 points behind the leaders and having played a game more than 3rd place Annagh United.
A quick look at the top of the table then before the break.

Newry City P23 PTS 47
Ballinamallard P23 PTS 41
Annagh United P22 PTS 41

It's as you were at the bottom,

Dundela P23 PTS 21
Institute P23 PTS 20
Queens P23 PTS 9

Changed days for Queens since their Irish cup heriocs

A blow to Glentoran's title hopes as an on song Larne win 3-2 at the Oval in a highly entertaining match.

The ref didn't look too pleased at Larne's 2nd goal. I reckon he had "Draw at 55 minutes" on his coupon...

Earlier Linfield and Cliftonville both won, the Blues crushing the Swifts at Stangmore, 6-1, and Cliftonville seeing off Glenavon 2-0 at Mourneview. Fortunately for the Swifts Portadown got hammered 4-0 at the Ballymena Showgrounds.

Carrick got a welcome point at Seaview, 0-0. @Clockwork

Changed days for Queens since their Irish cup heriocs

Aye it’s seems a long time ago now (just 24 months though) since the Linfield game. Also finished a respectable 9th in 19/20, with a few resounding wins at ‘The Dub’ that season. The goals seem to have dried up since though. Still a hard working side, from what I read (and brief highlights) but with such a porous defence and a lightweight forward line, (Marc McKenna top scorer with just 3 league goals this season) it’s perhaps no surprise that they struggling even for a side that has some amount of experience within the ranks.

A blow to Glentoran's title hopes as an on song Larne win 3-2 at the Oval in a highly entertaining match.
The ref didn't look too pleased at Larne's 2nd goal. I reckon he had "Draw at 55 minutes" on his coupon...
Earlier Linfield and Cliftonville both won, the Blues crushing the Swifts at Stangmore, 6-1, and Cliftonville seeing off Glenavon 2-0 at Mourneview. Fortunately for the Swifts Portadown got hammered 4-0 at the Ballymena Showgrounds.
Carrick got a welcome point at Seaview, 0-0. [mention=76245]Clockwork[/mention]

Yep, pleased with a point and a clean sheet at Seaview, sounds as though with a little composure Carrick might have made more of a couple of real chances on the counter. It’s a decent result to halt the slide though.
Watched the live encounter from the Oval, thoroughly entertaining, the Glens will be kicking themselves, to lose their unbeaten run like that though. A comedy of errors across the park (for both sides) but no arguments with McDaid’s winner for Larne however, a cracking strike. Really enjoyed the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59843194 - reports, no goal highlights as yet

Top: Linfield P 21 Pts 46, Cliftonville P 20 Pts 44, Glentoran P 21 Pts 43

Bottom: Dungannon Swifts  P 20 Pts 13, Portadown P 21 Pts 12, Warrenpoint Town P 19 Pts 8

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59843194 - reports, no goal highlights as yet
Top: Linfield P 21 Pts 46, Cliftonville P 20 Pts 44, Glentoran P 21 Pts 43
Bottom: Dungannon Swifts  P 20 Pts 13, Portadown P 21 Pts 12, Warrenpoint Town P 19 Pts 8

Will be interesting to see how discussions go at the virtual league meeting on Wednesday this week, including debate on the possibility of a ‘circuit breaker’(C19). Seems that a ‘number of clubs’ are open to it, given the option.
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nifl-chief-gerard-lawlor-no-22624402

Irish Cup underway next weekend and not sure if a glut of midweek fixtures to catch up on a 2-3 week league postponement is going to help. Understand concerns over isolation and player availability but It would be a real shame to lose the competitive momentum that sits at the top of the Premiership at the moment?

Oval goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59849572  First four goals are a comedy of errors. Looks to me like the Glens' keeper drops his right hand as McDaid's shot smashes past him?

Some other goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59849139

Edited by Jacksgranda
Wrong link

Oval goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59849572  First four goals are a comedy of errors. Looks to me like the Glens' keeper drops his right hand as McDaid's shot smashes past him?
Some other goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59849139

Can’t see anywhere that the rearranged North Belfast Derby at Solitude tomorrow night is on the iPlayer, which is a shame.[emoji853]

On 03/01/2022 at 16:22, Clockwork said:

Can’t see anywhere that the rearranged North Belfast Derby at Solitude tomorrow night is on the iPlayer, which is a shame.emoji853.png

Linfield win again as Cliftonville lose their first home game of the season (I think!) at a snow covered Solitude, 2-0 to Crusaders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59875873

Goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59872862

Cliftonville would have gone top with a win, Blues 2 points clear, both played 21.

Good couple of nights for Linfield without kicking a ball!

Linfield win again as Cliftonville lose their first home game of the season (I think!) at a snow covered Solitude, 2-0 to Crusaders.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59875873
Goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59872862
Cliftonville would have gone top with a win, Blues 2 points clear, both played 21.
Good couple of nights for Linfield without kicking a ball!

Credit to the team at Solitude for getting the game on in the conditions and to Crus’ for such an impressive away win and performance given the recent decimation of their squad due to C19. Blues looking ominous in top spot now as those who seek to usurp the ‘moral order’ take a wee dip in fortune. Still a long way to go though with hopefully plenty of twists and turns to come![emoji6]

Cup Weekend begins tonight at Mourneview with the live all Premiership clash, Glenavon Vs Crusaders.

A few intriguing ties, selected from tomorrow afternoon's fixtures perhaps?

Bangor FC Vs  Larne

Dergview Vs Glentoran 

Institute Vs Portstewart 

Ballyclare Comrades Vs Carrick Rangers (tie of the round for me 😉)   

Warrenpoint Vs Newry City 

Glenavon 0 Crusaders 4

Crus’ in command, but a result that still perhaps flattered their performance. Some questionable defending in both halves by the home side, but unlucky on two offside calls/ disallowed goals. One definitely looked onside (Snoddy) and the second (Waterworth) picking up the rebound/last touch from a Crusaders player? Also denied what looked a clear penalty when Robinson handled in the box. Beautiful finish by Ben Kennedy for Crus’ 3rd though to seal it. Could easily have been 3-4, but Crus’ go into the hat for Monday’s draw.

9 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Glenavon 0 Crusaders 4

Crus’ in command, but a result that still perhaps flattered their performance. Some questionable defending in both halves by the home side, but unlucky on two offside calls/ disallowed goals. One definitely looked onside (Snoddy) and the second (Waterworth) picking up the rebound/last touch from a Crusaders player? Also denied what lookealthough I had to rewind to see the first one.d a clear penalty when Robinson handled in the box. Beautiful finish by Ben Kennedy for Crus’ 3rd though to seal it. Could easily have been 3-4, but Crus’ go into the hat for Monday’s draw.

That could have made it 1-3 instead of 0-4.

Thought Crues walked it to be honest, but I was only dipping in and out, you obviously watched the whole game, so will accept your report!

I caught all the goals, all the same, although I had to rewind to see the first one.

That could have made it 1-3 instead of 0-4.
Thought Crues walked it to be honest, but I was only dipping in and out, you obviously watched the whole game, so will accept your report!
I caught all the goals, all the same, although I had to rewind to see the first one.

Yep, they won comfortably@Jacksgranda, no question[emoji106]. The 4-0 scoreline didn’t perhaps reflect the efforts of the home side that’s all, particularly in the first 20 after the break, when they really got at the visitors, but certainly not fine margins. Very much looking forward to this afternoon’s fixtures, always a wee buzz around this Saturday in the calendar.

The Glens survive a scare against Dergview thankfully, fair play to them though, never gave in by all accounts. 
Sounded like a cracking game over at Castlederg. Fantastic result for Portstewart, rewarded with an away tie at Ballymena after a great win at Championship Institute, Newry given a home game against Dundela after beating Premiership neighbours Warrenpoint.