Failed Statelet Premier League & Other Divisions 2021/22

Big surprise in the League Cup was Ballymena's win at Seaview. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/58906477
Glentoran beat Glenavon on penalties, and Coleraine see off Carrick, 2-0, and Warrenpoint beat Loughgall https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58906475

Seems like your boys eased past Carrick tonight@jacksgranda, know they’re carrying a few injuries but just hope Stuart King’s side aren’t about to hit a real dip after such a positive start this season . Ballymena’s result at Seaview definitely a surprise though. What a goal from Daniel Bramhall btw.

A decent set of fixtures to look forward to this weekend, including the live game at the Oval in the late kick off, Glens Vs The Bannsiders!
Hopefully Carrick can bounce back from last week's trouncing at Windsor, but a tough gig at home to Cru's. Game of the day must be at Solitude though with the league leaders taking on The Inver Reds!

All good stuff. [emoji6][emoji108]

From this afternoon’s Championship fixtures, you wouldn’t expect much trouble for leaders Ards at home to bottom side Queens Uni. Game of the day in Portadown perhaps as third place Ballyclare visit 4th spot Annagh United.

Cliftonville 2 Larne 1 

Glenavon 4 Dungannon Swifts 2 (Swifts concede 4 again) 

Portadown 0 Ballymena United 1  (Big 3 points for Ballymena there) 

Warrenpoint Town 0 Linfield 3

Currently 1-0 to Coleraine at the Oval.

ETA: 1-1  WTF was the keeper doing?

ETA 2:  2-1  Senseless penalty to concede

ETA:3   2-2  Good goal, Can either side grab the winner with 7 odd minutes left?

ETA:4  Nope, finished 2-2.  Good game

Edited by Jacksgranda

Fireworks there in the closing moments at the Oval, decent game for the neutral, but what the f*ck was McCarey doing decking wee Burns after the equaliser? It was hardly his fault, he might have given the ball away on the half way line but others could have halted Kane’s run into the box. That was a proper ‘head’s gone’ moment, crazy stuff. [emoji15]

(ETA link)

Watch: Glentoran keeper McCarey sees red for lashing out at team-mate Burns https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/58942834

In the Championship, superb result for Ballyclare Comrades, 4-1 away at Annagh United to consolidate third spot (25pts)
Ards comfortable 2-0 winners over Queens stay top (28pts), 2nd place Newry (26pts) win away at the Brandywell. Ballinamallard also away winners, 3-1 at Dundela. Dergview nudge past Loughall 1-0, with the points shared in East Belfast 1-1 Welders Vs K’Breda.
Queens 4pts and Dundela 5pts with just one win apiece this season already with some ground to cover, adrift at the bottom of the table.

14 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Fireworks there in the closing moments at the Oval, decent game for the neutral, but what the f*ck was McCarey doing decking wee Burns after the equaliser? It was hardly his fault, he might have given the ball away on the half way line but others could have halted Kane’s run into the box. That was a proper ‘head’s gone’ moment, crazy stuff. emoji15.png

(ETA link)

Watch: Glentoran keeper McCarey sees red for lashing out at team-mate Burns https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/58942834

That's the second time a goalkeeper has been sent off in a match I've been watching and I didn't realise it had happened! :lol:

In fairness, I had the sound turned down and was jumping back and forward between that and the Dons' score.

(I think the other time it happened it was Glentoran as well.)

That's the second time a goalkeeper has been sent off in a match I've been watching and I didn't realise it had happened! default_laugh.png
In fairness, I had the sound turned down and was jumping back and forward between that and the Dons' score.
(I think the other time it happened it was Glentoran as well.)

Real bully boy stuff to pick on wee Burns like that (ex Hearts?). Can’t see that McCarey would have tried that sh*t on with Pat McClean, Luke McCullough or Hrvoje Plum for example. [emoji107]

ETA: Keeper Dayle Coleing sent off in their 3-3 draw at Windsor last season along with teammate Seanan Clucas?

17 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Hows Lisburn Distillary doing these days.

Spent a pleasant afternoon getting smashed in their club at a match about ten years ago.

They were top flight but struggling.

Also had a wonderful afternoon in Dundela social club before going to Hillsborough for festival at night.

Currently bottom of the third tier atm.

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Wow what a decline, what happened?

Here's a snippet from their official web site - 

At the end of 2009 financial issues threatened the very existence of the club. However after the efforts of its supporters and the sale of New Grosvenor Stadium the club managed to survive though a greatly reduced income would mean more realistic ambitions playing-wise. It was no surprise that the spectre of relegation loomed large in 2009/10 when the club found itself 13 points adrift at the foot of the Irish Premiership table. Few would have believed what would then happen – but under the management of recently appointed manager Tommy Wright, the club mounted what is known in its history as “The Great Escape” with an unbeaten run in its last 11 league games. The club eventually finished eight points clear of the drop zone. Wright’s remarkable transformation of the club continued the next season as the club defied the odds again and won the CIS Insurance Cup when it defeated Portadown 2-1 in a televised final.

110402-CIS-IMG_3444.jpg?resize=400%2C600

Tommy Wright lifts the CIS League Cup, after having defeated Portadown 2-1

Tommy Wright then moved on to St Johnstone and the club survived a play-off the following season. In February 2012 the club sold its’ New Grosvenor ground to meet debts and the subsequent financial restraints meant the club struggled to attract the top players. After an awful season the club was relegated to Championship 1 in April 2013.

Relegation then occurred again in 2016, when the Whites were relegated from the Championship into the newly formed Premier Intermediate League.

Colin McIlwaine and George O’Boyle were appointed in the summer of 2016, and had to rebuild the entire squad. They finished 9th that season and followed up with two good years achieving 4th place in both before they moved on.

The curtailed 2019/20 season under Stephen Hatfield stopped with the team in 7th spot. Former player, Johnny Clapham replaced him at the start of the 2020/21 season.

FOLLOW:

Lost their ground due to the Troubles and eventually moved to a greyhound stadium in the middle of nowhere outside a town filled with Linfield fans leaving them with little or no support is how it has been explained to me. Bit like what happened to Clyde closer to home but they were propped up for longer by the Irish League not having relegation.

Distillery have lost all 3 league games to date this term (unsure why they’ve only played 3 games when others have played double that in the Intermediates). Apart from a drubbing in the League Cup away at Championship side Loughgall they’ve won 5 Cup games (albeit against NAFL opposition) on the back of reasonable signs of a rebuild in pre-season. Hopefully the fortunes of Whites might see a bit of an upturn in the coming weeks. It’s a shame to see where they’ve fallen to in recent seasons.

11 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Distillery have lost all 3 league games to date this term (unsure why they’ve only played 3 games when others have played double that in the Intermediates). Apart from a drubbing in the League Cup away at Championship side Loughgall they’ve won 5 Cup games (albeit against NAFL opposition) on the back of reasonable signs of a rebuild in pre-season. Hopefully the fortunes of Whites might see a bit of an upturn in the coming weeks. It’s a shame to see where they’ve fallen to in recent seasons.

Bangor have been flaffing around in the nether regions for the same length of time as Distillery.

Bangor have been flaffing around in the nether regions for the same length of time as Distillery.

Yep a similar downward spiral, whilst their tenants at Clandeboye and close rivals Ards look set for a decent push back to the top flight this season. At least they’ve made a decent start in the league I guess (4/4).

It's never a good idea to sell your stadium before the new one is built.

Distillery didn't have much option, of course. Did they get much compo for Grosvenor Park? They were always on a hiding to nothing trying to get a new stadium in Belfast, the city is choc a bloc with well established clubs, with their own identified catchment area.

I can remember Distillery, Ards and Bangor as Irish League clubs (they still are, of course! :lol:) and was at each of their grounds. Dessie Dickson scored his last goal for Coleraine at Clandeboye Park - with his head!

But that's the point of a pyramid, I suppose.

Bangor were 2-0 up at Solitude last night too![emoji15]
Sky Blues having a torrid time of it at the moment, every time I see big DJ interviewed (recently) he almost seems resigned to the fact that his side are also rans, just scrapping for points week in week out.