2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I talked to one of the Buckie blazers, wasn't keen on promotion as he'd heard from Peterhead officials that they don't get welcomed to the board room for free drinks and sandwiches in the SPFL. Clach missed 2 open goals, thought it was pretty even for the first half.

Honestly though, does that not tell you all you need to know about the SPFL ? 

16 hours ago, Robert James said:

Well done Fraserburgh, you deserved to be champions.

If the Broch defeat both Bonnyrigg and Cowdenbeath in the SPFL play-offs, they will be promoted to the SPFL. Cowden however, would be relegated to the Lowland League and not to the HFL, which means a NET loss of one HFL club. reducing it from 18 to 17 clubs, as  both FW and BoD can't win the HFL play-off.

Or will the HFL pyramid play-offs be cancelled, with north champions Banks gaining promotion, and Fort being granted a reprieve from relegation to the NCL, in order to retain 18 clubs in the Highland League, for next season ?  

No.

How many times does it have to be explained the HL is quite comfortable running with an odd number of teams?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No.

How many times does it have to be explained the HL is quite comfortable running with an odd number of teams?

Oh I’d say a good few times yet, and I very much look forward to spending the journeys to Bonnyrigg and Cowdenbeath reading hot takes from journos about the pyramid, and how Fraserburgh are looking to step up to senior football, and bits on former Highland League clubs to be playing in the SPFL, such as Inverness. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Says quite a lot about Buckie, too. 

Drinks and sandwiches in the boardroom should hardly be the first priority of a team in with a chance of promotion.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Oh I’d say a good few times yet, and I very much look forward to spending the journeys to Bonnyrigg and Cowdenbeath reading hot takes from journos about the pyramid, and how Fraserburgh are looking to step up to senior football, and bits on former Highland League clubs to be playing in the SPFL, such as Inverness. 

:lol:

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I talked to one of the Buckie blazers, wasn't keen on promotion as he'd heard from Peterhead officials that they don't get welcomed to the board room for free drinks and sandwiches in the SPFL. Clach missed 2 open goals, thought it was pretty even for the first half.

Last Vale/Buckie game Buckie fans were chucking litter on the canal bank, one guy was even asked why he never used the bin which was 2 feet in front of him, he just mouthed back, funnily enough the same guy was moaning towards stewards at half time and Vale fans at full time. Was it him you were speaking too?

9 minutes ago, Vale Vale Vale said:

Last Vale/Buckie game Buckie fans were chucking litter on the canal bank, one guy was even asked why he never used the bin which was 2 feet in front of him, he just mouthed back, funnily enough the same guy was moaning towards stewards at half time and Vale fans at full time. Was it him you were speaking too?

Nope, a very civilised and amiable gentleman.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Drinks and sandwiches in the boardroom should hardly be the first priority of a team in with a chance of promotion.

I remember working with a Brechin player who said the further south you went the worse the hospitality gets, and some southern/central clubs were miserly as f**k and always amazed when they came up to even Rothes or Lossie and got fed at full time. 

But no, it shouldn’t really be the hill to die on with regards to whether a club wants promoting or not. Bring your own fucking sammiches in that case. 

Saying that, it may just be the case that it’s not encouraged this season but will return to normal next season. 

46 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

How many were at Fraserburgh to watch them claim the Championship?

Can't find a number but queues outside meant kick off was delayed for 15 minutes. Maybe a couple of thousand?

Edited by welshbairn

From my conversations across the HL it appears nobody is really bothered about getting into SPFL.  Happy to gather HL titles.

For what its worth I can only see FW dropping out and BOD coming in. Cowdenbeath will keep their SPFL status.

Congrats to Fraserburgh.

1 hour ago, Cold Feet said:

From my conversations across the HL it appears nobody is really bothered about getting into SPFL.  Happy to gather HL titles.

For what its worth I can only see FW dropping out and BOD coming in. Cowdenbeath will keep their SPFL status.

Congrats to Fraserburgh.

My impression is that Fraserburgh will have a real go at promotion, think they'll struggle to get past Bonnyrigg and Cowdenbeath though. Cowdenbeath aren't as poor as Brechin and Berwick were. Buckie likely would have found half their players unavailable due to 'previously' booked holidays, stag parties and anniversaries. Brora weren't keen in the past but seem to have changed, though you might have a different impression if you watched last year's playoffs versus Kelty Hearts. I doubt other clubs have thought about it much as it hasn't really been on the horizon. Here's the Fraserburgh chairman from the 20/21 season:

The Chairman thinks that the club is more than ready for the next step:

“You want to reach the highest you possibly can. We’re part of the pyramid so there’s good belief we could survive in that environment (League 2). If we don’t and get relegated back into the Highland League, there’s worse places to be relegated into.“

“There’s not that big a gulf between the bottom half of League 2 and the top half of the Highland League. Obviously since there are teams in League 2 with a full seasons experience (at that level) they would probably have the upper hand slightly. As Cove, Edinburgh City, Peterhead and Elgin have proved, Ok Elgin have remained in League 2 but they’ve survived, they’ve never been anywhere near being relegated.

“It’s something we could definitely budget for and survive in. We certainly wouldn’t hit the heights that Cove, Edinburgh City and Peterhead has done but we can run to our current budget and see where that takes us. If we get relegated so be it but I don’t think we would, I think we’d survive.”

https://ne98.net/2021/02/05/fraserburgh-chairman-finlay-noble-on-potential-promotion-linking-the-northern-juniors-and-lockdown/

Edited by welshbairn

Aye Fraserburgh definitely want promotion to the SPFL. As do BOD although their chairman was clearly getting ahead of himself. Even more so given they didn’t want to join the HL for long enough.