2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

10 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

Top 4 place gets invite to league cup (£20k for just turning up) and to challenge cup (or whatever it is called these days).

But one thing in SPFL was that you rarely get to a level of safety until close to end of season or playing for playoff positions. Although not always a good thing LOL.

Anybody know what the prize money is for the challenge cup?

11 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

Top 4 place gets invite to league cup (£20k for just turning up) and to challenge cup (or whatever it is called these days).

But one thing in SPFL was that you rarely get to a level of safety until close to end of season or playing for playoff positions. Although not always a good thing LOL.

It's only the Champion that gets an invite to the SPFL League Cup. Possibly 2nd place due to the 5 European spots and how things played out this season.

Deveronvale away seemed like the most sparsely attended Saturday 3pm game I've been to this season. I'd say there was barely 100 people there. That can possibly be caveated by it being a thoroughly dreich December day at the height of a Covid surge.

I don't think Nairn home attendances have dropped too much from pre-pandemic, with the notable exception of last Saturday when very few folk hung around for the late kick off.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Deveronvale away seemed like the most sparsely attended Saturday 3pm game I've been to this season. I'd say there was barely 100 people there. That can possibly be caveated by it being a thoroughly dreich December day at the height of a Covid surge.

I don't think Nairn home attendances have dropped too much from pre-pandemic, with the notable exception of last Saturday when very few folk hung around for the late kick off.

Forres at home this season the crowd was under 100, that was just after Turriff United beat us 6-0, that was the lowest crowd I had seen since a midweek cup game against Nairn which Nairn won 2-1 after extra time, 2017 I think. Forres and Nairn never took much of a support.

I was at the Nairn/Vale game at the start of the season and must say it’s the biggest home support I’ve seen from Nairn, was a good crowd. 

During the lockdowns we still turned out, 20-30 watched from the road when we played Keith, some even used step ladders, had my step ladder looked out for an away game to Buckie which got called off.

Edited by Vale Vale Vale

Isn’t it the top 2?

Of all the banana skins in Fraserburgh's wake, it is Strathspey Thistle who have pegged the Broch back half an hour in while Buckie lead Forres. Shirley no?

Edit: 1-1 now, important they got that before half-time

Edit 2: Even better to take the lead before half-time, 2-1 Broch.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

On 27/03/2022 at 20:46, welshbairn said:

It's been quite the week for disappointing behaviour in the Highland League. Vale fans spitting at a Buckie player, and Nairn and Keith fans shouting racist stuff at one or more Huntly players. 

http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/News/Item/2107_SHFL_Statement_re_Racist_Verbal_Abuse.aspx

Missed this but Keith didn't delay in sorting this stuff out. Posted on the club website the day after.

Keith FC have investigated and identified the person who made the racist comment at the home match against Huntly FC on 26 March, 2022.

No action could be taken at the time of the incident as a thorough investigation needed to be undertaken so that the correct person was identified.

Keith FC have issued a letter informing the person identified of a lifetime ban from Kynoch Park and any Keith FC event. Huntly FC have been informed of the action taken.

Keith FC have never had such a situation occur before and take racism and indeed any form of unacceptable conduct, be it directed to players, staff or spectators very seriously. Keith FC condemns racism in any form, either on or off the pitch.

Keith FC aims to create and maintain a working and spectating environment free from racial harassment, abuse and unacceptable conduct of any nature and will give their full support to the police in any criminal actions.

We will continue to remind supporters that racist taunts and abusive or threatening behaviour will not be tolerated by Keith FC. There is no room for such behaviour in life at all.

Once again we sincerely apologise to all at Huntly FC for the incident and applaud their support of both their and our players who may have been affected. We too have provided support to all of our players following the incident.

https://keithfc.com/new-blog/2022/3/27/update

I know he's not liked by all but the end of season sees dad retire from football coaching and administration. He's worked and volunteered at many levels in Scottish football. 

Fraserburgh presented him with a gift today (as did spfl but I can't bring myself share a photo of cockwomble 🤣)

He's the shorter one!

received_5334729493244286.jpeg

Edited by RH33

He's liked and respected by most people I know, a few numpties blame him for every decision that doesn't go their way even though it's usually down to the clubs. I thought he did a tremendous job steering the league through Covid, always calm and flexible, in public anyway, and redoing the fixtures at a moment's notice.