2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Hard to tell much from that about the first sending off apart from it making a hell of a clatter.

Some say it was a clear red and other a yellow, linesman was saying yellow but I suspect the rush of Fraserburgh players swung the decision. The lunge was unnecessary and the rest is history.

On another note are we likely to be the first team to play the 'improved' Fort William? Think their game this weekend is off and we play them the week after. Suspect we have no idea how these new players will be. Might be a mixed bag.

Lets hope its not a banana skin.

Just now, Cold Feet said:

Some say it was a clear red and other a yellow, linesman was saying yellow but I suspect the rush of Fraserburgh players swung the decision. The lunge was unnecessary and the rest is history.

On another note are we likely to be the first team to play the 'improved' Fort William? Think their game this weekend is off and we play them the week after. Suspect we have no idea how these new players will be. Might be a mixed bag.

Lets hope its not a banana skin.

I very much doubt you'll fail to make double figures. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I very much doubt you'll fail to make double figures. 

We, all season have a habit of scoring a few and then stopping. It bit us big time at the weekend. So I would think if we get to 4  or 5 by half time then we will start farting about and not sieze the moment.

1 minute ago, Cold Feet said:

We, all season have a habit of scoring a few and then stopping. It bit us big time at the weekend. So I would think if we get to 4  or 5 by half time then we will start farting about and not sieze the moment.

I think being utterly ruthless when you're ahead is the way to success in this league, Brora in particularly never slackened for a moment in the years they won. Saw them beat us 10-0 or 10-1 a few years ago and they were ferocious right to the end.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I think being utterly ruthless when you're ahead is the way to success in this league, Brora in particularly never slackened for a moment in the years they won. Saw them beat us 10-0 or 10-1 a few years ago and they were ferocious right to the end.

We have been saying that since about the 3rd match in but our players and management can't seem to grasp that philosophy. 

The cornerstone of Brora's two full season titles was to hammer teams inside of the first half, or at least be winning at the interval. Only twice in their unbeaten start to the 2013/14 season did they not reach half time in front, and one of those was 0-0. In the other, they were 1-2 down to Huntly, but won 4-2. The rest, they were either in front and in control, or out of sight. Allowed them the benefits of easy second halves, which meant their small-ish squad stayed fresh all season, which in turn led to them doing the exact same thing the following year when they finished the season unbeaten.

The Broch are slightly different in that they are a very tough nut to crack. Six times this season they've come from behind to win or find a late goal to rescue a point. They will, on occasion, just go at a team from start to end and absolute will not stop until you are dead. 

That Fort William team will be no better than the one they've just ditched, or the team that one replaced. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Allowed them the benefits of easy second halves

I never saw them coasting the second half, full pelt to the whistle every time. Cove were often happy to win by the odd goal, which caught them out a couple of times but I don't think they were that bothered about winning until Balmoral was finished.

Edited by welshbairn

As a thought to those who have been in HL longer than us.

I was reflecting on what I miss and dont miss from the SPFL. One thing I do miss is that you always had something to play for whether that was promotion or relegation playoffs. Rarely you wnet into the last half dozen games known exactly where you were likely to finish.

In HL it can be pretty much over with half the season (certainly feels that way). I wonder if there is an appetite to change the format for more than the top team getting a playoff opportunity, say top two even.

That said I am not getting a real desire to do anything else than get a HL title to their name.

Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

As a thought to those who have been in HL longer than us.

I was reflecting on what I miss and dont miss from the SPFL. One thing I do miss is that you always had something to play for whether that was promotion or relegation playoffs. Rarely you wnet into the last half dozen games known exactly where you were likely to finish.

In HL it can be pretty much over with half the season (certainly feels that way). I wonder if there is an appetite to change the format for more than the top team getting a playoff opportunity, say top two even.

That said I am not getting a real desire to do anything else than get a HL title to their name.

Thoughts?

For most clubs it's about finishing higher in the table than the year before. Not playing the same clubs at least 4 times a season is a big bonus. Like most Premiership sides a top half position is a major achievement to aim for with next to zero expectation of ever winning it.

Edited by welshbairn

There was the Sandy Stables plan a few years back that would have split the HL into two divisions similar in size to Leagues One and Two in the SPFL. Got rejected probably in part because of a bonkers 18 league games angle.

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/sport/stables-highland-league-plan-falters-100975/

1 hour ago, Cold Feet said:

Unless of course your club decided to lift money for no investment in its playing squad and stinked out the division with a record low points total and zero wins all season. 

Which has worked out well. 

There's not been much desire to change the format, mainly because the format has bounced between 15 and 18 teams and for the last decade has been relatively fluid compared to other periods in the history of the league (three new teams in, one team out, then Brechin appeared). Stables plan (and the one a couple of years later) were thrown out because certain Shire types were trying to finagel plans amongst themselves to avoid trips to Wick and Fort, only to get rumbled. 

Only playing each other twice a season means there's still some novelty to proceedings every year. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Unless of course your club decided to lift money for no investment in its playing squad and stinked out the division with a record low points total and zero wins all season. 

Which has worked out well. 

And your back - missed you irrelevant wisdom.

On 07/01/2022 at 17:21, Jimmy Shaker said:

The Broch are slightly different in that they are a very tough nut to crack. Six times this season they've come from behind to win or find a late goal to rescue a point. They will, on occasion, just go at a team from start to end and absolute will not stop until you are dead. 

That Fort William team will be no better than the one they've just ditched, or the team that one replaced. 

Agreed on Broch. I don't think they're that easy on the eye but they are a miserable side to play against. You need to fight for absolutely everything.