2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't think so, and there doesn't appear to be a social club either. Not much around Balmoral Stadium either but at least they have a bar. You could always fit in a Pilates class before kick off. 

Cheers. I was hoping to avoid the city centre, since Aberdeen are playing Hibs at the same time on Saturday afternoon. I'm sure there are a few pubs in Torry, but that areas reputation precedes itself.

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Cheers. I was hoping to avoid the city centre, since Aberdeen are playing Hibs at the same time on Saturday afternoon. I'm sure there are a few pubs in Torry, but that areas reputation precedes itself.

There is a beefeater type pub on Wellington Road heading back towards Cove just past the Shell offices. Probably about a 10-15 minute walk from Spain Park . 

The Wellington is up the hill from Spain Park, but is a fair hike for the sake of a pint. Your best bet would indeed be somewhere in the city centre. 

The number 3 bus route is a long one, there's bound to be some boozer on it somewhere that'll be relatively quiet. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

The Wellington is up the hill from Spain Park, but is a fair hike for the sake of a pint. Your best bet would indeed be somewhere in the city centre. 

The number 3 bus route is a long one, there's bound to be some boozer on it somewhere that'll be relatively quiet. 

Easy solution is get dropped off at pub then it is downhill all the way to the fitba. That can be taken in whichever context is appropriate. :lol:

I'm getting the train through from Inverness, so I'm not overly keen on a long uphill walk when I get there :lol:

I think I'll give the Fierce Brewery bar a shot. I ordered a few times from them in lockdown and really enjoyed their stuff. I'll just need to put up with the Aberdeen and Hibs hipsters.

52 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm getting the train through from Inverness, so I'm not overly keen on a long uphill walk when I get there :lol:

I think I'll give the Fierce Brewery bar a shot. I ordered a few times from them in lockdown and really enjoyed their stuff. I'll just need to put up with the Aberdeen and Hibs hipsters.

I was at the Fierce Bar a few weeks ago and would highly recommend it. I'd advise you to book though, as it's not huge and if the weather isn't great ypu don't want to end up outside!

They're tenth in the table but mostly as a result of reeling in a few points early doors. They've only collected 4 from their last 24, and have lost their last four away games as part of a winless away streak running to five games. When they've lost of late, it's not been by a lot, although going 0-3 down at Nairn inside of 50 minutes was a bit of a surprise. 

Top scorer Angus Grant (4 goals in all competitions) is out injured for the foreseeable, and they've been relying on the rest of the team to fill in for him. So far, since he got injured, they've scored 9 goals in 9 games, but six of those came in the space of two games against Hill of Beath Hawthorn and Fort, which in the case of the latter could be considered a bit disappointing. Goals are their main issue, TBH, with the trebles scored against the two mentioned above being the only times they've managed more than 1 goal in a game across their last ten outings. 

They don't concede a whole lot, however, and have shipped more than 3 goals just 3 times in 16 games - twice to the Pitmedden Allstars, and once to the Broch. Those games were some months back, tho, and other than the Nairn anomaly they've tightened up a bit. 

On 19/10/2021 at 11:05, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The Dons-Hibs match won't be noticeable in a lot of the pubs in the city centre.  The nearest pubs to Spain Park would be the Grampian and Victoria Bars in Torry I think.  I'd give them a miss and stick to the centre of toon - Spain Park isn't that far of a hoof actually, or you could jump on the bus and get off just after Tesco Wellington Road.  

48 minutes ago, resk said:

The Dons-Hibs match won't be noticeable in a lot of the pubs in the city centre.  The nearest pubs to Spain Park would be the Grampian and Victoria Bars in Torry I think.  I'd give them a miss and stick to the centre of toon - Spain Park isn't that far of a hoof actually, or you could jump on the bus and get off just after Tesco Wellington Road.  

Cheers. I've seen that I can get a bus from Market Street to that Tesco pretty much bang in time for kick off.

13 hours ago, resk said:

... The nearest pubs to Spain Park would be the Grampian and Victoria Bars in Torry I think.  I'd give them a miss and stick to the centre of toon - Spain Park isn't that far of a hoof actually, ...

One of the first things you learn when living in Aberdeen after finally figuring out what the locals are on about with phrases like furry boots is that Aberdonians tend to be terrified of venturing into Torry. If you are from the central belt it's not at all obvious why.

12 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

I’m seriously considering travelling to the Formartine v Forfar game tomorrow, I’ve heard parking is in short supply there, any truth in that and any advice?

There's a decent amount of parking at the ground on either side of the road, if you get there early enough. I've been to games when there's been cars parked along the verge as well. Other option is to park in Pitmedden and do the walk of death along the Oldmeldrum Road.

3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

There's a decent amount of parking at the ground on either side of the road, if you get there early enough. I've been to games when there's been cars parked along the verge as well. Other option is to park in Pitmedden and do the walk of death along the Oldmeldrum Road.

Thankyou for that info, I’ll have my kids with me so won’t be walking on Oldmeldrum Road (I’m assuming there’s a lack of footpath?)

8 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

Thankyou for that info, I’ll have my kids with me so won’t be walking on Oldmeldrum Road (I’m assuming there’s a lack of footpath?)

Exactly that, although it's a lesson in how to walk against tractors and speeding traffic attempting to overtake them.  A major life skill for Angus tbf.

22 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

I’m seriously considering travelling to the Formartine v Forfar game tomorrow, I’ve heard parking is in short supply there, any truth in that and any advice?

If you are there in plenty time do not think you will have any bother parking right across from the ground. As an alternative Pittmeddan Gardens is just a wee bit further up the road towards Ellon which has parking and a path from there down to North Lodge Park which i think keeps you off the road.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Exactly that, although it's a lesson in how to walk against tractors and speeding traffic attempting to overtake them.  A major life skill for Angus tbf.

I have driven that road a few times but out of interest (for future reference) how long would it take to walk from the pub to the ground ?