2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

2 hours ago, Loki said:

You can get a book on the first 100 years of the Highland League that have information on the seasons, although they only have the finished tables.

it’s known as the Highland Hundred but officially called “The History of the Highland Football League 1893-1993”.  Ends with Elgin being stripped of their title 🤣

The most amazing thing about that season is that Fort William finished it with 19 points.

8 hours ago, Loki said:

You can get a book on the first 100 years of the Highland League that have information on the seasons, although they only have the finished tables.

it’s known as the Highland Hundred but officially called “The History of the Highland Football League 1893-1993”.  Ends with Elgin being stripped of their title 🤣

That book - the first edition anyway - is a disgrace. 

33 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Aye that would have been a bit of a midweek trek although I think Wick airport would have been utilised for that one. :lol:  For the players at least. 

It was a Saturday trek south for Wick for the replay, and I think they got as far as Dundee before Brechin realised that a testimonial dinner or summat they had planned for that night would be interrupted if the game went to extra time and pens, and the pitch became mysteriously and conveniently waterlogged. 

Wick rolled on down again the following midweek, the pitch was fine and they got skelped. 

Dundee? Might have been Aberdeen, it’s hard to tell with the Wickers, they’ve to travel an hour for a pizza so that kind of detour means nothing.

Brechiners at the game (when it was eventually played) openly admitted the shenanigans that went on and that the call off was sketchy. There’s a full thread about it on Fitba North. 

Such activities caught up with Brechin in the end tho, so it’s all good. 

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Dundee? Might have been Aberdeen, it’s hard to tell with the Wickers, they’ve to travel an hour for a pizza so that kind of detour means nothing.

Brechiners at the game (when it was eventually played) openly admitted the shenanigans that went on and that the call off was sketchy. There’s a full thread about it on Fitba North. 

Such activities caught up with Brechin in the end tho, so it’s all good. 

Relying on an obscure and slightly biased football forum for your information kind of highlights the credibility of your reporting skills. :lol:

7 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

That book - the first edition anyway - is a disgrace. 

Why’s it a disgrace?

Anytime we have gone to Brechin we’ve went down the A9 and up to Brechin.  It may be a longer route but it will always be quicker.  A96 can be a nightmare, even more so if you’re doing it by a bus.

50 minutes ago, Loki said:

Why’s it a disgrace?

Anytime we have gone to Brechin we’ve went down the A9 and up to Brechin.  It may be a longer route but it will always be quicker.  A96 can be a nightmare, even more so if you’re doing it by a bus.

I went across the Grampians for a game in Montrose once from Inverness in a thunderstorm, it was exhausting. Thinking of trying the A96 route for Brechin away with the new Aberdeen bypass, but perhaps you're right.

Getting through Aberdeen can be a nightmare but when you’re going to a football match you miss the really busy traffic times.  The bypass will help with that.  Going through Nairn and Elgin can be time consuming, and depending on what traffic is on the road your journey can vary by anything up to an hour or more.

Although last time I did that trip was in 2008 when County were about to win the Second Division Championship with Brechin chasing the playoffs.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I went across the Grampians for a game in Montrose once from Inverness in a thunderstorm, it was exhausting. Thinking of trying the A96 route for Brechin away with the new Aberdeen bypass, but perhaps you're right.

I'd definitely do Inverness to Brechin via A96 and A90 now the bypass exists rather than A9 then cross-country.

13 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Does anybody know if there Is there is a good pub in the vicinity of Spain Park, or am I better off just staying in the city centre and wandering down in time for kick off?

Don't think so, and there doesn't appear to be a social club either. Not much around Balmoral Stadium either but at least they have a bar. You could always fit in a Pilates class before kick off.