2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

Class game at Clach today, 4-3 with a late winner vs Fort.

Clach hit the post, hit the bar, had one off the line, a clach player blocked a goal bound shot on the Fort line, a stonewall penalty wasn't given, a goal was chalked off and missed an open goal. 

One of those games until the 85th minute or so I wondered if Clach would ever get a winner, but they kept plugging away. The defending for all three Fort goals was utterly shambolic. Clach at the very least are entertaining as hell.

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

Oh and I won't be taking over, in part as I'm based in the central belt!

Am aware that people won't like dad, but he's served football in the north for a very long time, both at schools level, north FA etc. 

I can't see him not being at a game on a Saturday!

I'm sure he's respected by far more people than not. He gets the blame for everything that goes wrong and none of the credit when things go right.

Edited by welshbairn

Interested to see how CLach stack up against Brora on Saturday. Clach concede far too many so I don't expect a win but I think they may give Brora some problems this year.

2 hours ago, Comrie said:

Interested to see how CLach stack up against Brora on Saturday. Clach concede far too many so I don't expect a win but I think they may give Brora some problems this year.

Given the way we battled against Rothes, Fraserburgh and Formartine in recent weeks, I don't think it'll be a rout, and for the first time in years I think we have a real chance. Can't wait. 

Hats off to the intrepid Brechin fans making their way to Wick today . Early start for most  but a few  making a weekend of it  . A few with hangovers this morning I would think so go easy on them Wickers. 

Sadly can't make it up myself but hopefully the team can do the business today. 

Mon the hedgehunters. 

best performance i've seen at clach park the day, brora were dominant from around the 10th minute onward.

can only think of two chances for clach, a near post header than flashed wide and anderson being flagged offside when it was 1-1 but was absolutely miles onside

Edited by Comrie

5 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Would be a shame if Brechin were almost in Wick and the game was called off. 

That almost happened when we played them in the Scottish cup a good few years back. 

When our bus  arrived and drove past the park there was a fire engine pumping water off the park . It was touch and go but I think the ref let the teams decide that the game should go ahead .........................given half the population of Wick were already queueing to get in . 

Turned out to be a cracking game with Wick 4-2 up with 10 mins to go then conceding 2 late goals for a 4-4 draw. 

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

best performance i've seen at clach park the day, brora were dominant from around the 10th minute onward.

can only think of two chances for clach, a near post header than flashed wide and anderson being flagged offside when it was 1-1 but was absolutely miles onside

The young linesman who called the offside was chatting away with a couple of Brora players just after like they were big mates, not that I'm accusing him of anything. And the ref whistled for a foul before one of their goals, then pretended he hadn't. Otherwise a well deserved victory for Brora, confident and comfortable all over the park, we defended well for the most part but very rarely threatened their goal. Thought heads might go down after the third with half an hour to go, and we'd get a pummelling, but they kept battling till the end.

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And the ref whistled for a foul before one of their goals, then pretended he hadn't. 

I'd forgotten that. Both sets of players looked confused as hell. So did the Brora fans next to me.

3-1 flattered Brechin today.  Strangely played the first half with our top 3 scorers on the bench (downslope), and had a miss of the season contender after skying a cross, but scored within minutes of the restart with Marc Scott brought on 

Pretty ropey defending from us should have seen Wick make it 2-2, but they smashed it off the crossbar instead.  Far too close for comfort and Wick were first to every loose ball for the last 10-15 mins, but a nice finish across goal from us thankfully finished it at the end.

Eta: the size of one of the linesmen though, oftcha!

Edited by Hedgecutter

4 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

That almost happened when we played them in the Scottish cup a good few years back. 

When our bus  arrived and drove past the park there was a fire engine pumping water off the park . It was touch and go but I think the ref let the teams decide that the game should go ahead .........................given half the population of Wick were already queueing to get in . 

Turned out to be a cracking game with Wick 4-2 up with 10 mins to go then conceding 2 late goals for a 4-4 draw. 

I was referring more to the circumstances that surrounded the planned replay. :lol:

On 07/10/2021 at 13:00, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

This might be one for @Jimmy Shaker but does anyone know if there is an archive of Highland League results anywhere online?

I've seen the stat doing the rounds this week that this season is Ross County's worst league start since they entered the SFL in 1994. I'm assuming it will be the worst since at least 1986, when County finished bottom of the HFL.

You can get a book on the first 100 years of the Highland League that have information on the seasons, although they only have the finished tables.

it’s known as the Highland Hundred but officially called “The History of the Highland Football League 1893-1993”.  Ends with Elgin being stripped of their title 🤣