2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

Looks to me like the boys quitting are the ones not used to - or not wanting to - actually have to work for a living, having been denied the transfer budget thought necessary or the squad of fit and enthusiastic players required. 

The plethora of late and last-minute goals suggests there's a gap in terms of fitness or readiness that's going to mix things up a bit this season. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Looks to me like the boys quitting are the ones not used to - or not wanting to - actually have to work for a living, having been denied the transfer budget thought necessary or the squad of fit and enthusiastic players required. 

The plethora of late and last-minute goals suggests there's a gap in terms of fitness or readiness that's going to mix things up a bit this season. 

Surely Mackay and Low had day jobs already?

I mean work for a living in the context of actually managing a team and getting more out of the players, and not just flinging money at the project. The two what recently abandoned Keith seemed confused that having to play youth players may occasionally see some piss poor results come your way. Think they did that at Huntly, too.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

BoD dispose of Locos in the Aberdeenshire Shield.  Does anyone know how seriously the HL sides take this competition?

It was the Aberdeenshire Cup, the Shield will come later in the season. Locos were on a hiding to nothing last night. Didn't look right against Lossie, couldn't manage a goal against Keith and are now managerless. BOD would have been wound up a treat waiting on that lot coming to town. BOD take this more seriously than their senior peers because they've been to the final and never won it (or the Shield) and now Cove are out the way, it should be between them and the Broch. 

35 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Nairn were pretty awful at Formartine. A well deserved hiding. Pitmedden and North Lodge Park are quite pleasant though, so I've had a nice day out.

Pain in the arse to get to by public transport though.

Fort were at Lossie in midweek. What a fucking gang of a team. Odd mix of some old hands from the last couple of seasons, mixed with a bunch of guys recruited via LinkedIn to come work for the manager during the week, live in a caravan, and play football on the weekend. Mental behaviour.

Still, they looked a bit beefier than before and a bit more streetwise in places, but still honking pretty much all over the park. They're back at Lossie in October for their home game, and we're guessing the team will look wildly different to how it did on Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Pain in the arse to get to by public transport though.

Also took in the game there today, that walk along the road fairly keeps you on yer toes. Still find the ground/concept of a team playing on the outskirts of Pitmedden a bit odd. That's oil money for you, I guess.

Thought Nairn were pretty rank for most of it, and deservedly blown away in the end.