2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

I see Turriff lost 6-0 to Inverurie Locos today, doesn't sound like they've improved any. Clach play Locos away next Saturday in their first League game which will be a decent test for them after beating Burghead today, also 6-0.

Nairn were pretty solid against a second string Elgin in the first half on Saturday, but it was very easy for Elgin in the second once Hester, Tony Dingwall and others came on for them. Nairn looked exhausted towards the end, which is no surprise given the lack of game time over the last 18 months + the Mediterranean-esque heat and wind in Elgin on Saturday.

Big kick off tomorrow then.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of crowds turn up - is it too much to expect some kind of post-lockdown boost?  Had a casual look through Twitter and there are very few clubs making a big deal of their opening home fixture as far as I can tell.  Sometimes I wonder if some HL clubs are that bothered about getting folk through the turnstiles.  Anyone know what's the status of corporate bookings at these games?  There didn't seem to be any corporate at the Cove v Stirling game nor the Dons game last night (the two games I've been to).  

And they're off!  No real surprises today with wins for the Jags, Cattachs, the Broch, Locos, Wee County, the Speysiders, and er, City (I'm not calling them the "Hedgemen", f**k that).  There were draws at Forres and Huntly.  

On 23/07/2021 at 19:40, resk said:

Big kick off tomorrow then.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of crowds turn up - is it too much to expect some kind of post-lockdown boost?  Had a casual look through Twitter and there are very few clubs making a big deal of their opening home fixture as far as I can tell.  Sometimes I wonder if some HL clubs are that bothered about getting folk through the turnstiles.  Anyone know what's the status of corporate bookings at these games?  There didn't seem to be any corporate at the Cove v Stirling game nor the Dons game last night (the two games I've been to).  

There was a decent turnout at our game yesterday not sure exactly how many but it looked and felt like more than normal.

Corporate is an issue for clubs I think mainly because they are needing to use different spaces for players changing rooms. At Brechin the bar under the stand is where the away team are changing in at the moment.

(And you’re right “Hedgemen” is ridiculous!!)

19 minutes ago, charlie king mvp said:

There was a decent turnout at our game yesterday not sure exactly how many but it looked and felt like more than normal.

Corporate is an issue for clubs I think mainly because they are needing to use different spaces for players changing rooms. At Brechin the bar under the stand is where the away team are changing in at the moment.

(And you’re right “Hedgemen” is ridiculous!!)

Attendance 510. 

I also see the Highland league website has our result as 3-2 and the table as a goal difference of 1. 

If they are using the ref's report as the official end result , I can understand where the mistake was as he was making his own rules up as he went along.  😂

I have heard that the refereeing standards drop significantly in this league though so no real surprise with that clown yesterday. 

Rothes matches against Forres Mechanics & Brora postponed due to the death of Rothes secretary Garry Davies

ROTHES' North of Scotland Cup tie against Forres Mechanics, scheduled to take place tonight, has been postponed after the "sudden death" of the club's secretary Garry Davies.

Mechanics announced the news this morning and sent their condolences to all involved with Rothes, as well as Garry's family.

The Speysiders' Highland League match versus Brora Rangers, scheduled for Saturday, has also been postponed.

All other Highland League matches will go ahead with a minute's silence prior to kick-off.

First ever Highland league game for me today. Lossiemouth 2 v 2 Inverurie Locos. Cracking end to end game. Locos should have been out of sight at half time after dominating the play and camping out in the Lossie half. 2-1 locos at the break. 

Second half Lossie showed a lot more belief and played some nice stuff through the middle. Locos defended well and looked more likely in attack with their number 10 a pest down the left hand side. Lossie grabbed an equaliser with about 5mins to go precipitating scenes on the bench and on the terraces. A deserved point and an absorbing game.

Very decent pie too.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

Very decent pie too.

Fucking pie! Raging at that, I was starving at Grant Street today, hopefully they'll open it up for the next game. No masks apart from getting through the gate.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Fucking pie! Raging at that, I was starving at Grant Street today, hopefully they'll open it up for the next game. No masks apart from getting through the gate.

The pie stall was open amigo. My old fella bought two. 

Locos taking off Gauld fucking ruined their afternoon. The rest of them didn’t know what to do after that. Lossie put the foot down and had some fun. 

Lossie are two years into a four year youth project and it looks like it might be working ok. 

13 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Locos taking off Gauld fucking ruined their afternoon. The rest of them didn’t know what to do after that. Lossie put the foot down and had some fun. 

Lossie are two years into a four year youth project and it looks like it might be working ok. 

Cheers for the info. Was Gauld the number 9? Smashing player who managed to win everything in the air using his wits and strength. Man is about 5'8''.

Buckie just sneaking it with a 10-0 win. 

... and there was me thinking that Brechin 4-0 Keith was a decent result for us last week.  <_<

Eta:  I see that BBC are on the ball as usual

image.png.c6e267b5a357e9c50bfd58f92fc31ac7.png

Must presume that 10 is a null value or something.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Nairn with an excellent draw away to Rothes. Conor Gethins rolling back the years with a lovely free kick.

Heard that Nairn managed to get a couple of last minute loans in to help cover a major list of injuries.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Heard that Nairn managed to get a couple of last minute loans in to help cover a major list of injuries.

Aye, Williamson from Ross County and Fyffe from ICT. Fyffe was also one of the ICT ringers at Fort William a couple of seasons ago.

Steven McKay has rage quit as Brora manager this evening.