2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

Think a general thread of the HL Chatter is probably needed

The League gets underway on 24th July with an 18 team division for the first time in a couple of seasons since Cove's promotion in 2019.

Last season's winners Brora Rangers will be looking to continue their dominance of the the division, whilst Fraserburgh, Inverurie Loco Works and Formartine United will be challenging at the top end of the division. Brechin City have signed a number of ex-SPFL players as they look to bounce straight back into League 2, but probably will be in for an upper mid-table finish.

At the bottom end of the table, perennial whipping boys Fort William will need to improve this season in order to avoid a dreaded relegation playoff against a Tier 6 side with any one of Clachnacuddin, Strathspey Thistle, Lossiemouth and Turriff United having to be careful that they don't find themselves near the bottom of the division.

Spoiler

Odds at McBookie

(Will add when they appear)

Opening Weekend Fixtures:

Brechin City vs Turriff United 
Buckie Thistle vs Lossiemouth
Deveronvale vs Brora Rangers
Forres Mechanics vs Wick Academy 
Fraserburgh vs Formartine United
Huntly  vs Strathspey Thistle
Inverurie Loco Works vs Clachnacuddin
Keith vs Nairn County
Rothes vs Fort William 

Edited by ArabAuslander

15 hours ago, Buckets said:

Surprised Brechin are being tipped for a midtable finish. They've made a few decent signings and aren't as bad as East Stirlingshire or Berwick Rangers when they went down 

Just my opinion but I can't see them being any better than 5th or 6th tbh but they'll be top half imho, think they just need a season to re-adjust.

I'm sure a bunch of Brechin fans will know better than me. Happy to be proven wrong.

19 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Just my opinion but I can't see them being any better than 5th or 6th tbh but they'll be top half imho, think they just need a season to re-adjust.

I'm sure a bunch of Brechin fans will know better than me. Happy to be proven wrong.

At the moment, Brechin are a group of individuals who have only played two friendlies as a group of trialists, with only a couple of players retained from last season.  Genuinely have absolutely no idea what to expect from them.  Whilst you'd expect that the loan signings from Hearts & St Johnstone will be half decent, you just need to look at the Rangers loan signings from last season to see how well that can work out.

I reckon it'll take a season to readjust as I just can't see a new group of players thrown together consistently getting the early run of results required to be top of the table come the end of the season. That said, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming campaign. 

Brora have lost some of their best players, could see it being someone else's turn this season. Too early to tell who, but it wouldn't surprise me if Brechin were in the mix. Latest moneybags team Rothes have been hoovering up players, could be the joker in the pack. Can't see past Fort for the play off and likely demotion, but am getting a bit concerned about Clach losing experienced players. All three preseason games have been cancelled so far due to covid, and no more advertised as being in the pipeline, so might have to wait till the season starts to find out.

Edited by welshbairn

Very impressed with Strathspey against Elgin the other night. Pretty much all ex-ICT, County & Elgin lads, & played some excellent football, as well as being fit, hard-working & organised. Had the better of Elgin for most of the first half & first part of the second, before Elgin bucked their ideas up & eventually came up with a late winner to take it 2-1. Definitely a comfortable mid-table opportunity for Strathspey this season, & would be surprised to see them struggling down the bottom end.

11 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Josh Meekings is a hell of a signing for Brora,anymore like that and it would be hard to bet against them.

Maybe so, but he's no Paul Brindle.. :lol:

I'm up in Aberdeen at the end of September and will hopefully be taking in Inverurie v Brora while I'm up there. Only ever been to Nairn in the Highland League, so looking forward to checking another ground off my list!
You might get lucky and pick up two grounds. Colony Park FC play literally next door. When I went to Inverurie, I was able to watch first half of Colony Park v Longside at 2pm, then move over to the Locos v Wick game. Quick pint in BrewDog beside the station before my train made for a good trip!

It could be an interesting season in the Highland League. Given the long lay off and changes at various teams and the introduction of Brechin I find it hard to predict how the league will work out. Might be a few post COVID hangovers then again some teams might start with a new enthusiasm and ambition. Locos have a few signings but I'll need to see them in competitive action before commenting. I still think we're missing a really influential midfielder but I'm always optimistic that we might maintain a challenge that doesn't peter out into our perennial Europe League finishing position. Roll on 24th - can't wait.

It'll be very interesting to see how things change this season. With the changes at Brora I wonder if they'll still be top dogs at the end of the campaign. Surely Brechin will be there or thereabouts. Fraserburgh are always there or thereabouts so maybe it's their turn this season?

I, too, wonder what effect covid will have. Will any of the usual safe mid-table clubs slip into battle to avoid the relegation play-off ? I kind of hope that the usual bottom clubs can pick themselves up for this season as many like to relegate some clubs even before the season kicks off !

1 minute ago, Dev said:

I, too, wonder what effect covid will have. Will any of the usual safe mid-table clubs slip into battle to avoid the relegation play-off ? I kind of hope that the usual bottom clubs can pick themselves up for this season as many like to relegate some clubs even before the season kicks off !

You'd have to think the prospect of relegation would be a wake up call for some teams. I hope it can be competitive rather than one team getting dropped early and effectively being consigned to relegation before Christmas.

7 minutes ago, Dev said:

Talking to a mate about how much clubs charge supporters to sponsor a player/players' shirt. Any ideas about the going rate for Highland League clubs this season?

Locos were recently advertising player sponsorship for £200 per player per season.

43 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I think Clach will struggle to stay off the bottom if Fort William show any form of improvement.

Might get some idea on Saturday, first and likely only pre season friendly before Inverurie away Saturday week. Haven't a clue how their squad is shaping up but think it could be short on experience.