Richard Donner

Quite surprised hearing of his death as didn't think he was that old (turns out he was 91).

Directed some fantastic movies but I think what stood out for me was the quality of his directing remained consistent despite how varied the genres were that he dabbled in. For me LW, LW 2, Superman 2, and The Goonies still stand up today as really great, entertaining movies and you cannot say that for a lot of "classics" from the 70s and 80s. Many have aged very badly. 

A particular favourite for me was 16 Blocks - a small scale but quite tightly directed movie he did which would turn out to be his last from 15 odd years ago. Since then he has been linked annually with a Goonies sequel and LW 5. I don't think his passing will put a stop to that tbh. 

And anyone who remembers his legacy by saying "he made us believe a man could fly" deserves a boot in the baws. 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

And anyone who remembers his legacy by saying "he made us believe a man could fly" deserves a boot in the baws. 

He made Michelle Pfieffer fly in Ladyhawke...

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

He also directed The Omen.

Apparently he and David Warner were always arguing so much so Donner eventually said to Warner "don't lose your head".

aye, I didn't include it in my list as I haven't seen it for years and no idea if it still stands up. I imagine it would if his other films seem to, Maybe not Conspiracy Theory though....