Scottish Cup 2021/22

10 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

The early days of the LL were basically an EOSL old boys act.

East Kilbride had never kicked a ball in senior football. Gretna 2008 and Stirling University were around for 5 years. Threave Rovers & Dalbeattie Star had dipped their toes in the EoSFL then left after only a handful of years.

That was 5 if the original 12.

With the likes of Gala, Spartans, Preston Athletic and Edinburgh City trying to get into the SFL. 

Clubs jumped at the chance the Lowland League represented, it was everyone for themselves rather than any organised effort between them.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

East Kilbride had never kicked a ball in senior football. Gretna 2008 and Stirling University were around for 5 years. Threave Rovers & Dalbeattie Star had dipped their toes in the EoSFL then left after only a handful of years.

That was 5 if the original 12.

With the likes of Gala, Spartans, Preston Athletic and Edinburgh City trying to get into the SFL. 

Clubs jumped at the chance the Lowland League represented, it was everyone for themselves rather than any organised effort between them.

I had meant to add with a few clubs who had been boys clubs but started adult ones.

Couldn’t blame any of the clubs.

I always thought the whole thing was too rushed.

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

I had meant to add with a few clubs who had been boys clubs but started adult ones.

Couldn’t blame any of the clubs.

I always thought the whole thing was too rushed.

It's more calling it an old boy's act. As if they were working together like a cartel. They all went rushing for the life raft that was the LL, as if it was the Titanic sinking. People forget how a lot of Junior clubs kept pace with the initial stages of the application process.

It felt rushed. Although, the reconstruction talks of the SPL and SFL with the creation of Highland and Lowland feeders began in 2011. As with most SFA committees it was likely going to end up being all talk. Then there was this strange need from the money men of Scottish football in 2012 to bring the SPL and SFL back together 🤔

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's more calling it an old boy's act. As if they were working together like a cartel. They all went rushing for the life raft that was the LL, as if it was the Titanic sinking. People forget how a lot of Junior clubs kept pace with the initial stages of the application process.

It felt rushed. Although, the reconstruction talks of the SPL and SFL with the creation of Highland and Lowland feeders began in 2011. As with most SFA committees it was likely going to end up being all talk. Then there was this strange need from the money men of Scottish football in 2012 to bring the SPL and SFL back together 🤔

That’s what it looked like from the outside.

The SFA probably wanted it and the juniors held back I suppose the ones who went for it were the only ones really interested at the time.

Probably the best thing to happen was Kelty taking the plunge with the rest following.

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

The SFA probably wanted it and the juniors held back I suppose the ones who went for it were the only ones really interested at the time.

Probably the best thing to happen was Kelty taking the plunge with the rest following.

The Juniors collectively fell a part by the singular focus of the SFA on creating a single division. With no thought or care about what came beneath it. Then individually by the scare tactics over what was required by licensing. As well the uncertainty over what would happen to them if the Lowland League failed or were relegated. Once up and running they were then put off by the drop in quality compared to what they had in their Super Leagues.

Seniors jumped at the chance not really caring what was left behind and knowing the drop would not be as drastic if it somehow failed.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The Juniors collectively fell a part by the singular focus of the SFA on creating a single division. With no thought or care about what came beneath it. Then individually by the scare tactics over what was required by licensing. As well the uncertainty over what would happen to them if the Lowland League failed or were relegated. Once up and running they were then put off by the drop in quality compared to what they had in their Super Leagues.

Seniors jumped at the chance not really caring what was left behind and knowing the drop would not be as drastic if it somehow failed.

Personally at the time I thought the EOSL should have been absorbed by the East Region and the SOS being tagged onto the West.

Then working out who would make it into a top division with the best of both.

Instead from being almost dead and buried the EOS have done it the other way round.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

Personally at the time I thought the EOSL should have been absorbed by the East Region and the SOS being tagged onto the West.

Then working out who would make it into a top division with the best of both.

Instead from being almost dead and buried the EOS have done it the other way round.

You really have to treat what happened as 2 distinct periods... 2013 > 2017, then 2017 > 2021.

2017 pyramid below LL contained 2 divisions and 25 clubs. EOS down to 11 clubs (with only 2 licensed: namely Coldstream + Burntisland).

2021 pyramid below LL contains 11 divisions and 146 clubs. EOS has 59 clubs (with 24 licensed) and no junior leagues left south of Tayside.

'Big Bang' moment was 2018.

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Byes to R1:

East Premier        Camelon, Hill of Beath, LTHV, Newtongrange, Sauchie, Tranent
East FIrst Div        Dunipace, Haddington
West Premier      Auchinleck, Clydebank, Cumnock, Darvel
West First Div      Glasgow Uni
South                    St Cuthbert, Wigtown

It occurs to me Clydebank are just 2 wins from maybe playing Airdrie... Cumnock from Killie... HofB from Dunfermline... Dunipace from Falkirk... Sauchie from Alloa... etc. Shows opportunities format tweak opens-up.

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

You really have to treat what happened as 2 distinct periods... 2013 > 2017, then 2017 > 2021.

2017 pyramid below LL contained 2 divisions and 25 clubs. EOS down to 11 clubs (with only 2 licensed: namely Coldstream + Burntisland).

2021 pyramid below LL contains 11 divisions and 146 clubs. EOS has 59 clubs (with 24 licensed) and no junior leagues left south of Tayside.

'Big Bang' moment was 2018.

Aye we’ve almost got there eventually!!

It occurs to me Clydebank are just 2 wins from maybe playing Airdrie... Cumnock from Killie... HofB from Dunfermline... Dunipace from Falkirk... Sauchie from Alloa... etc. Shows opportunities format tweak opens-up.

HOB are even closer to playing either us or Kelty who were their fierce rivals in the juniors.

That would draw a crowd.

Must be close to 20 years since the old version of Clydebank last played in the Scottish Cup. Maybe a coupla months shy of the anniversary?

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping since the preliminary round is this weekend.

Linlithgow Rose v. Banks O'Dee
Burntisland Shipyard v. Dalkeith Thistle
Newton Stewart v. Coldstream
Irvine Meadow v. Musselburgh Athletic
Dundonald Bluebell v. Penicuik Athletic
Preston Athletic v. Threave Rovers
Hawick Royal Albert United v. Golspie Sutherland
Blackburn United v. Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare
Tynecastle v. Girvan
Jeanfield Swifts v. Whitehill Welfare
Dunbar United v. Broxburn Athletic

11 hours ago, realmadrid said:

I'm going to take in Jeanfield Swifts v Whitehill Welfare on Saturday.

The last time Whitehill Welfare were in Perth for a Scottish cup tie was in the 3rd round in January 1987 when a then 2nd Division Saints won 4-0.

Whitehill taking their only Scottish League scalp to this day Albion Rovers in the previous round. 

Had manys a replay though against league opposition. 

12 hours ago, realmadrid said:

I'm going to take in Jeanfield Swifts v Whitehill Welfare on Saturday.

The last time Whitehill Welfare were in Perth for a Scottish cup tie was in the 3rd round in January 1987 when a then 2nd Division Saints won 4-0.

Ach blast, I was going to go to that. Clash of the Titans at TFS trumps it this time unfortunately.

Interesting to note that Irvine Meadow v Musselburgh has an all-female officiating team, wonder if that's the first time this has occurred here in the men's game?

Referee: Lorraine Watson, AR1: Vikki Allan, AR2: Vikki Robertson