Jump to content

Scottish Cup 2021/22


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It might help wake some of them up from their mundane complacency .;)😎

Yep, there’s a couple of League One clubs who I can see in the LL in 5 or so years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
16 hours ago, TheScarf said:
Half the clubs in the SPFL will be non league in 10-15 years time. 

Can't see 21 being relegated in fifteen years (and none coming back up) regardless of ability.

Yeah, I didn’t literally mean half the SPFL, but you know that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s got be more reconstruction planned with changes to the promotion/relegation places from League 2 down, surely? Must be pish playing in 16-18 team leagues where 1st place has to the jump through 2 or 3 play-off rounds to get promoted and 2nd place gets f**k all.

Edit - not the topic for it I realise. Just thinking out loud.

Edited by eez-eh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Half the clubs in the SPFL will be non league in 10-15 years time. 

That's only possible if there's a rule change on how many clubs can go down each season but agree there is going to be a lot of turnover on this especially if the top WoS premier clubs fully commit to the concept of moving up into the national divisions as appears to be happening. Clubs like Talbot, Darvel, Irvine Meadow, Kilwinning Rangers and in the not too distant future Pollok putting floodlights up was the litmus test on that.

The league structure of Scottish football has always been distorted by having strong local regional leagues that had clubs that drew bigger crowds and had higher quality teams than a significant portion of the part-time clubs in the national divisions. Next season there will be several more top WoS clubs in the Scottish Cup to provide a reality check on that if all goes well with the club licensing process over the next couple of months.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did this last round so here's a look at how the teams shape up in terms of the rankings: http://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrank.html
These were fairly accurate last time, with only one real upset. Games listed here as draws are basically "close" and could go slightly one way when you factor in more points for home advantage. Will be fascinating to see how the inter-division clashes go.
      Home  Away Gap  
Partick Thistle v Dunfermline Athletic 3324 3172 152 Home
Kelty Hearts v Montrose 3133 3148 -15 Draw
Dumbarton v Sauchie Juniors 2925 2695 230 Home
Auchinleck Talbot v Hamilton Academical 3156 3116 40 Draw
Civil Service Strollers v Peterhead 2776 3014 -238 Away
Falkirk v Raith Rovers 3068 3330 -262 Away
Stirling Albion v Tranent Juniors 2946 2924 22 Draw
Clydebank v Clyde 2943 2940 3 Draw
Dalbeattie Star v East Kilbride 2617 2862 -245 Away
Alloa Athletic v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 3024 3011 13 Draw
Ayr United v Albion Rovers 3109 2895 214 Home
Stenhousemuir v Airdrieonians 2911 3106 -195 Away
Queen's Park v Kilmarnock 3081 3328 -247 Away
Gala Fairydean Rovers v Annan Athletic 2688 2877 -189 Away
Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Greenock Morton 3276 3170 106 Home
Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v Edinburgh City 2569 2923 -354 Away
Banks O' Dee v East Fife 2905 2907 -2 Draw
Cove Rangers v Queen of the South 3167 3153 14 Draw
Arbroath v Forfar Athletic 3322 3011 311 Home
Brechin City v Darvel 2820 2987 -167 Away
 
It's probably obvious but can't see on the website how the points are allocated to determine the rankings
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:
On 22/11/2021 at 19:10, Ginaro said:
I did this last round so here's a look at how the teams shape up in terms of the rankings: http://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrank.html
These were fairly accurate last time, with only one real upset. Games listed here as draws are basically "close" and could go slightly one way when you factor in more points for home advantage. Will be fascinating to see how the inter-division clashes go.
      Home  Away Gap  
Partick Thistle v Dunfermline Athletic 3324 3172 152 Home
Kelty Hearts v Montrose 3133 3148 -15 Draw
Dumbarton v Sauchie Juniors 2925 2695 230 Home
Auchinleck Talbot v Hamilton Academical 3156 3116 40 Draw
Civil Service Strollers v Peterhead 2776 3014 -238 Away
Falkirk v Raith Rovers 3068 3330 -262 Away
Stirling Albion v Tranent Juniors 2946 2924 22 Draw
Clydebank v Clyde 2943 2940 3 Draw
Dalbeattie Star v East Kilbride 2617 2862 -245 Away
Alloa Athletic v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 3024 3011 13 Draw
Ayr United v Albion Rovers 3109 2895 214 Home
Stenhousemuir v Airdrieonians 2911 3106 -195 Away
Queen's Park v Kilmarnock 3081 3328 -247 Away
Gala Fairydean Rovers v Annan Athletic 2688 2877 -189 Away
Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Greenock Morton 3276 3170 106 Home
Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v Edinburgh City 2569 2923 -354 Away
Banks O' Dee v East Fife 2905 2907 -2 Draw
Cove Rangers v Queen of the South 3167 3153 14 Draw
Arbroath v Forfar Athletic 3322 3011 311 Home
Brechin City v Darvel 2820 2987 -167 Away
 

It's probably obvious but can't see on the website how the points are allocated to determine the rankings

Indeed. The one thing that's vital to any visitor to his website, and he's cocked it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:
On 22/11/2021 at 19:10, Ginaro said:
I did this last round so here's a look at how the teams shape up in terms of the rankings: http://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrank.html
These were fairly accurate last time, with only one real upset. Games listed here as draws are basically "close" and could go slightly one way when you factor in more points for home advantage. Will be fascinating to see how the inter-division clashes go.
      Home  Away Gap  
Partick Thistle v Dunfermline Athletic 3324 3172 152 Home
Kelty Hearts v Montrose 3133 3148 -15 Draw
Dumbarton v Sauchie Juniors 2925 2695 230 Home
Auchinleck Talbot v Hamilton Academical 3156 3116 40 Draw
Civil Service Strollers v Peterhead 2776 3014 -238 Away
Falkirk v Raith Rovers 3068 3330 -262 Away
Stirling Albion v Tranent Juniors 2946 2924 22 Draw
Clydebank v Clyde 2943 2940 3 Draw
Dalbeattie Star v East Kilbride 2617 2862 -245 Away
Alloa Athletic v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 3024 3011 13 Draw
Ayr United v Albion Rovers 3109 2895 214 Home
Stenhousemuir v Airdrieonians 2911 3106 -195 Away
Queen's Park v Kilmarnock 3081 3328 -247 Away
Gala Fairydean Rovers v Annan Athletic 2688 2877 -189 Away
Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Greenock Morton 3276 3170 106 Home
Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v Edinburgh City 2569 2923 -354 Away
Banks O' Dee v East Fife 2905 2907 -2 Draw
Cove Rangers v Queen of the South 3167 3153 14 Draw
Arbroath v Forfar Athletic 3322 3011 311 Home
Brechin City v Darvel 2820 2987 -167 Away
 

It's probably obvious but can't see on the website how the points are allocated to determine the rankings

He has posted about it on here, can't be arsed finding it, but the ELO system is pretty well known. The minor point scorings about how the games are weighted specifically might be useful but it's a bit subjective as well. Maybe he doesn't want the hassle of folk arguing the Junior Cup is more important than the SoS league or whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:

It's probably obvious but can't see on the website how the points are allocated to determine the rankings

10 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Indeed. The one thing that's vital to any visitor to his website, and he's cocked it.

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

He has posted about it on here, can't be arsed finding it, but the ELO system is pretty well known. The minor point scorings about how the games are weighted specifically might be useful but it's a bit subjective as well. Maybe he doesn't want the hassle of folk arguing the Junior Cup is more important than the SoS league or whatever.

The thread where it was first posted is linked below. He posted on the second page about making some tweaks to it. 

Takes into account home advantage, margin of victory, whether it's the league or cup, relative strengths of each team etc. 

Obviously difficult to say where non-league clubs are relative to the SPFL, but it's probably the best attempt at ranking all senior clubs you're going to get. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/11/2021 at 12:13, BANKIEBILL said:

£9500 for R3 and £19500 for R4 ... wasn't really thinking much further tbh

Time for clubs involved in R4 to have half an eye on possible R5 exit. Any idea of the exit figures for these later rounds? R5:      R6:   

Great that clubs such as Talbot, Banks O'Dee, Clydebank and Darvel/Brechin can have hopes for more progress - Annan too! Not forgetting East Kilbride.

Edited by Dev
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dev said:

Time for clubs involved in R4 to have half an eye on possible R5 exit. Any idea of the exit figures for these later rounds? R5:      R6:   

Great that clubs such as Talbot, Banks O'Dee, Clydebank and Darvel/Brechin can have hopes for more progress - Annan too! 

A bit anti climactic for us. Was really hoping for a big name this time. As much as it is winnable, it’s still a difficult tie too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/11/2021 at 11:28, eez-eh said:

There’s got be more reconstruction planned with changes to the promotion/relegation places from League 2 down, surely? Must be pish playing in 16-18 team leagues where 1st place has to the jump through 2 or 3 play-off rounds to get promoted and 2nd place gets f**k all.

There should be no change while the LL is a joke setup consisting of 'Broomhill', Vale of Leithen and vile Old Firm B sides, and the HL is made up crap Aberdeenshire outfits with only some Walter Mitty funding pushing one ahead of the pack. The performance of tier 5 in the Scottish Cup has been abysmal this season. 

Once the LL is opened up to tier 6 and is purged of the vile B teams, while the HL is steadily strengthened by the emptying of Fort William, Lossiemouth etc. then a case can be made for opening up entry to the 42. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dev said:

Time for clubs involved in R4 to have half an eye on possible R5 exit. Any idea of the exit figures for these later rounds? R5:      R6:   

Great that clubs such as Talbot, Banks O'Dee, Clydebank and Darvel/Brechin can have hopes for more progress - Annan too! Not forgetting East Kilbride.

R5 exit 47250

R6 102000

Semi 177000 

And no I refuse to print any more 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

There should be no change while the LL is a joke setup consisting of 'Broomhill', Vale of Leithen and vile Old Firm B sides, and the HL is made up crap Aberdeenshire outfits with only some Walter Mitty funding pushing one ahead of the pack. The performance of tier 5 in the Scottish Cup has been abysmal this season. 

Once the LL is opened up to tier 6 and is purged of the vile B teams, while the HL is steadily strengthened by the emptying of Fort William, Lossiemouth etc. then a case can be made for opening up entry to the 42. 

A very thinly veiled way of saying that there is more chance of hell freezing over than the spfl clubs allowing anything to change . There will always be an element of self preservation based on archaic self entitlement. It doesn't matter who is on the board at any particular time , that same agenda will be pushed . Absolutely nothing has changed since Ken Ferguson came off that board and it appears that nothing will change anytime in the near future. 

It doesn't matter who drops out of the lowland or highland leagues there are always going to be teams who are weaker than others or  go through tougher times for whatever reason. Yes there are consistently poorer teams but what makes them any less ambitious or less worthy than anyone else? The opening of the pyramid will determine a level that these teams will find themselves . If they are good enough they will bounce back. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...