Scottish Cup 2021/22

Trivia question here.

Should they win the replay Clydebank face Clyde in R3: it would seemingly be their first-ever Scottish Cup meeting under any guise.

Dundee United and Dundee have met various times, as have Berwick Rangers and Rangers.

(EDIT: However in contrast St Johnstone never seem to have met Johnstone, nor Ayr Parkhouse met Ayr).

Have there been any other instances of Scottish Cup ties where 1 club's name contained the entire name of their opponent?

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Trivia question here.

Should they win the replay Clydebank face Clyde in R3: it would seemingly be their first-ever Scottish Cup meeting under any guise.

Dundee United and Dundee have met various times, as have Berwick Rangers and Rangers.

Have there been any other instances of Scottish Cup ties where 1 club's name contained the entire name of their opponent?

Hibs ever play Dundee hibs?

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Close.  Next guess are ayr and ayr park house pre merger.

Nope, nor Johnstone and St Johnstone (at least if Soccerbase head-to-head is reliable).

I also checked Thistle the Glasgow club from the early days and like of Arbroath Athletic and Dumbarton Harp.

EDIT: Aha!

1890-91 Second Round
Dumfries Wanderers 6-5 Dumfries

Edited by HibeeJibee

23 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Nope, nor Johnstone and St Johnstone (at least if Soccerbase head-to-head is reliable).

I also checked Thistle the Glasgow club from the early days and like of Arbroath Athletic and Dumbarton Harp.

Early days are the most likely.  Especially looking for town names.

Partick f.c vs partick thistle.

dunfermline (cricket playing weirdo’s) vs dunfermline athletic.(I’ve checked soccer base which says these teams never played each other, which is not true,  but you’d expect them to have records of all scottish cup games). Etc

Edited by parsforlife

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

BBC seem to have settled into rhythm of picking ex-Scottish League 'names' and Monday nights.

If only East Stirlingshire v Third Lanark was on the cards in R4 they could complete the set.

I believe the Monday nights are to avoid clashing with Scotland Women's internationals on Alba.

On 25/10/2021 at 13:20, Cardle is Magic said:

I thought it was 2 from LL?

Anyway, get L2 sorted first and let’s see that change progress through non-league.

Potentially 0 depending on other promotions/relegations. Vale of Leithen could still stay up this season despite not having picked up a point since 2019/20. Joke of a system at the moment.

24 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Brechin vs Darvel is a baffling choice tbh. Can only assume Craig Levein’s presence has had some influence.

As they seem to insist on the Monday slot Killie and Hamilton are playing midweek in the SPFL Trust Trophy so that rules their games out which IMO would have been their top 2 choices

10 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

As they seem to insist on the Monday slot Killie and Hamilton are playing midweek in the SPFL Trust Trophy so that rules their games out which IMO would have been their top 2 choices

It’s just crazy to me that you would pick an all-non league tie. I’d rather watch Banks O’Dee vs East Fife.

10 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

It’s just crazy to me that you would pick an all-non league tie. I’d rather watch Banks O’Dee vs East Fife.

It's all non-league, but two ends of the spectrum(recently dropped out of spfl vs up and coming(AKA bankrolled) recently licensed side. 

Both clubs probably have a bit more story to sell. This is 'the fighback' vs ' the new age'  Bank's O'Dee vs East Fife doesn't have much, It's the shitebags vs the strugglers.  A tougher sell

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It's all non-league, but two ends of the spectrum(recently dropped out of spfl vs up and coming(AKA bankrolled) recently licensed side. 

Both clubs probably have a bit more story to sell. This is 'the fighback' vs ' the new age'  Bank's O'Dee vs East Fife doesn't have much, It's the shitebags vs the strugglers.  A tougher sell

That's a fair point.  If you are not involved in sales or advertising then you should consider it . 😉

I personally have mixed opinions . Although it is always nice to see your team on the telly I have many reservations about this one.  Moving it away from the traditional weekend slot takes away some of the natural atmosphere for both players and fans and also the potential matchday revenue that brings. It's a shame for the Darvel fans who I'm sure would have travelled in numbers on a Saturday and made a day of it  . Instead the less committed might be swayed to watch the game at home.  Hopefully I am proven wrong. 

Attracting matchday sponsorship and hospitality is difficult at the best of times but having the game on a Monday night makes it more of a challenge . Presumably the BBC take this into consideration and their coverage fee is enough to at least cover the potential loss of income for both clubs . 

I know TV coverage has dictated the timing of matches at higher levels for years now and inconvenienced fans and clubs in equal measures, but for lower league clubs every pound spent on a matchday is vital to their survival. 

On the plus side , hopefully the extra publicity will benefit both clubs going forward and they can both make the most out of their couple of hours in the spotlight. ....................But please BBC , do some proper research and try and avoid the standard cliche ridden condescending pish you normally put out . :lol:

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

That's a fair point.  If you are not involved in sales or advertising then you should consider it . 😉

I personally have mixed opinions . Although it is always nice to see your team on the telly I have many reservations about this one.  Moving it away from the traditional weekend slot takes away some of the natural atmosphere for both players and fans and also the potential matchday revenue that brings. It's a shame for the Darvel fans who I'm sure would have travelled in numbers on a Saturday and made a day of it  . Instead the less committed might be swayed to watch the game at home.  Hopefully I am proven wrong. 

Attracting matchday sponsorship and hospitality is difficult at the best of times but having the game on a Monday night makes it more of a challenge . Presumably the BBC take this into consideration and their coverage fee is enough to at least cover the potential loss of income for both clubs . 

I know TV coverage has dictated the timing of matches at higher levels for years now and inconvenienced fans and clubs in equal measures, but for lower league clubs every pound spent on a matchday is vital to their survival. 

On the plus side , hopefully the extra publicity will benefit both clubs going forward and they can both make the most out of their couple of hours in the spotlight. ....................But please BBC , do some proper research and try and avoid the standard cliche ridden condescending pish you normally put out . :lol:

Thought they did away with coverage fees and all the TV monies went into a pot to be shared by all clubs?

36 minutes ago, a_n_d_o said:

Thought they did away with coverage fees and all the TV monies went into a pot to be shared by all clubs?

They heavily reduced them to roll more £ into prizepot, but televised clubs still receive couple of thousand £ in R1-R3, and few 10s of thousand R4 onward.

Trivia question here.

(EDIT: However in contrast St Johnstone never seem to have met Johnstone, nor Ayr Parkhouse met Ayr).

Albion Rovers have played both Stirling Albion and Raith Rovers