Scottish Cup 2021/22

Obviously has its attractions: but I suspect we're most familiar with it from international qualifiers and CL/EL games, where pros stay overnight and the same players finish the tie the next day.

Different dynamic in domestic club matches with part-time teams.

What if some of the Wick players who were on the pitch at the moment yesterday's tie was abandoned can't make Tuesday night's 510-mile round trip (work commitments/etc.)?

Would somebody have to travel 510-miles on a weeknight to restart 4-2 down if there were only 2.5mins left? What about 6-0 down?

Every option has its drawbacks and it happens pretty rarely. I actually struggle to recall when a Scottish Cup tie was last abandoned.

Under a year ago, HibeeJibbe. 

Camelon v Brora Rangers abandoned at half time due to the weather. Admittedly, very different reason but Brora had to drive back south to replay the entire match. 

Big European club/country abandonments are only partially played out due to the distances involved in rescheduling. 

Can't see how that could work, as you say, with part time small clubs

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Obviously has its attractions: but I suspect we're most familiar with it from international qualifiers and CL/EL games, where pros stay overnight and the same players finish the tie the next day.

Different dynamic in domestic club matches with part-time teams.

What if some of the Wick players who were on the pitch at the moment yesterday's tie was abandoned can't make Tuesday night's 510-mile round trip (work commitments/etc.)?

Would somebody have to travel 510-miles on a weeknight to restart 4-2 down if there were only 2.5mins left? What about 6-0 down?

Every option has its drawbacks and it happens pretty rarely. I actually struggle to recall when a Scottish Cup tie was last abandoned.

Agree with this. The answer to very rare events isn't to introduce even dafter solutions, like 5 minute football games or even 30 minutes in this case.

Blast from the past: I see Penicuik have been charged with not listing 2 regular goalkeepers in their Preliminary Round win over Dundonald. That was (roughly) what St Mirren got a slap on the wrist for many years ago against Spartans. Given potential for players to be unavailable due to isolation/etc. maybe this rule should've been suspended. Penicuik has exited cup by now anyway.

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Blast from the past: I see Penicuik have been charged with not listing 2 regular goalkeepers in their Preliminary Round win over Dundonald. That was (roughly) what St Mirren got a slap on the wrist for many years ago against Spartans. Given potential for players to be unavailable due to isolation/etc. maybe this rule should've been suspended. Penicuik has exited cup by now anyway.

From memory our problem was we didn't list enough under-21 players in the squad/on the bench. Our sub goalie was under-21 (and possibly even part of the Scotland under-21 squad) but for some weird reason only outfield players counted.

We got fined £25,000 which was ridiculous. It got halved on appeal and various sponsors paid part of it so don't think the club was too out of pocket in the end. Dunno if that rule is still in place.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bo'ness United 4-1 Wick Academy

Many will feel justice is served as Bo'ness win by 3 goals and Wick finish with 10 men.

Visitors only managed to mobilise 2 outfield subs... which was more than their hosts who could only obtain 1!

Indeed.

2 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

Feel we would have got a bigger crowd on the Saturday, also not great for any Elgin fans.

Disappointing we have agreed to this.

Folk are seduced by the novelty of being on TV but it's a distinctly second rate experience for the paying fan compared to a 3pm Saturday.