Scottish Cup 2021/22

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Silly pick.

Berwick v Gretna is so boring even I'd already bought a ticket to Penicuik v Tranent instead. At least I should make both now. Assume we get a few thousand £ in TV fees too.

Electrify viewers on a Monday night with 6th in LL v 15th in LL who drably drew 1-1 at Shielfield last month before ~250.

They've chosen this 'cos fairytales and 'cos we 2 ex-league "names" (except Gretna 2008 aren't).

EDIT: It's also odd as crowd will be thin with no atmosphere... Irvine Meadow-Auchinleck or Penicuik-Tranent would've been bouncing like Kelty-Auchinleck, Bonnyrigg-Buckie or Linlithgow-Falkirk.

Your right HJ it is a lazy pick.

Going for the 2 former SPFL sides angle although we all know that’s not the case, the BBC seem to like their club continuations 😀

Only other reason I can think off is Shielfield would be an easy ground to show a live game from with plenty of room to get all their trucks in.

Wouldn’t be as easy at some other grounds.

I was at the league game between the 2 clubs in late July it was hardly a classic.

Aye no doubt even though they made it clear they are a different club.
The mention that Alexander was manager of both will kick it off.
Also about 100 mentions of Berwick beating Rangers in 67.
Commentators are so predictable in their patronising of wee clubs they know f**k all about.
Also a mention of Berwick being the only English club to play in Scotland despite that being factually untrue.

13 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
16 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:
Commentators are so predictable in their patronising of wee clubs they know f**k all about.

Also a mention of Berwick being the only English club to play in Scotland despite that being factually untrue.

Even on their Twitter page, they incorrectly state "England's only club to play in the Scottish senior leagues".

43 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
16 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

They will despite Tweedmouth playing in the EOSL just the other side of the wall.

Edited by cowdenbeath

22 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Silly pick.

Berwick v Gretna is so boring even I'd already bought a ticket to Penicuik v Tranent instead. At least I should make both now. Assume we get a few thousand £ in TV fees too.

Electrify viewers on a Monday night with 6th in LL v 15th in LL who drably drew 1-1 at Shielfield last month before ~250.

They've chosen this 'cos fairytales and 'cos we 2 ex-league "names" (except Gretna 2008 aren't).

EDIT: It's also odd as crowd will be thin with no atmosphere... Irvine Meadow-Auchinleck or Penicuik-Tranent would've been bouncing like Kelty-Auchinleck, Bonnyrigg-Buckie or Linlithgow-Falkirk.

Can't agree more. BBC Scotland seem increasingly desperate to pick up football viewers (so their 'reach' justifies the amount spent on the channel) but they often seem to have a complete lack of any feel for the sport in Scotland. 

Berwick Gretna wasn't BBC's preference

Irvine Meadow knocked back an approach from the BBC to televise their forthcoming senior Scottish Cup clash against Auchinleck Talbot.

Ayrshire Football News can reveal the all-Ayrshire clash was the Beeb's choice as the pick of the first round ties.

But home side Meadow turned down an offer from the broadcaster after it became clear the game would have to be played on a Monday night.

BBC chiefs then turned their attention to the Berwick Rangers versus Gretna 2008 tie which will be broadcast on the BBC Scotland channel, iPlayer and online.

Meadow chairman Robert Jeffrey said the decision was reached after the club weighed up the impact on players’ working arrangements as well as the financial implications of moving the clash.

He said: “The BBC approached us and we had a long, hard think about.

"We would have loved the cameras at Meadow Park but unfortunately the Monday night didn't work for us for a number of reasons.

"It’s very hard for players to get away from their work for a 7.45pm kick-off and we felt playing on a Monday night would potentially hit our gate and hospitality numbers when compared to playing on a Saturday.

"A Friday night would have suited us but unfortunately that wasn't on the table."

The tie will be played, as originally scheduled, on Saturday, September 18.

12 hours ago, BC63 said:

The TV game will be played on a Monday and I'm led to believe the TV fee was only a low 3 figure sum. Club will make far more money and a bigger crowd keeping the game on a Saturday.

Its a shame that the fee is that low its not worth the clubs bother.

56 minutes ago, .Stuart. said:

Both clubs were offered £1.5k

Neither clubs wanted to play on the Monday.

Both suggested they were happy to play Friday night but that was never an option.

1.5k sounds about right.  

I’m not sure about the sums for drop of match day income tho.  £3k is about equivalents to 600 fans extra on the Saturday, is that the difference expected?  If short how much would they’ve made from it hospitality?

Hate Monday night football tho so I can see why committee might be hesitant if the sums are close.

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Assumed this Monday graveyard slot was for some clashing commitment but on Friday 17th the channel is just showing repeats of 2 documentaries on Tyndrum and the Scottish clans. Bizarre.

Really weird, two years ago Linlithgow Rose v Falkirk was on the Beeb on a Friday night and the atmosphere was great.