Scottish Cup 2021/22

Payments will be awarded based on what round you exit, not how many rounds you have progressed through. 

You can no longer "accumulate" payments as you progress through rounds, which meant teams entering earlier could earn more than those receiving byes.

I believe there's only 1 Preliminary round, which will earn £2,200 if you exit at that stage, Round 1 exit will earn £5,000, Round 2 will earn £6,500.   In previous seasons if you had exited at Round 2 after entering in the Prelim round, you would have pocketed £2,200+£5,000+£6,500.  Now you get £6,500.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Going by who's commenting with specific details, I think it's still an internal communication with SFA members. Rather than a public announcement.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Ah I see. We have a mole it seems! 

Not a mole.  Just a friend of a friend.   

4 hours ago, yessiricanboogie said:

anyone know when the draw for the preliminary round is

Thought something might've came out at the AGM but nothing public yet - last season it was 4 weeks before the first games, previously 3-4 weeks so we should've expect it near the end of the month?

I understand SFA + SPFL actually wanted to scrap replays entirely and it was representations from clubs and other leagues that saved the opening 1/2 of the cup from the general wreck.

On 20/07/2021 at 17:24, Burnieman said:

Payments will be awarded based on what round you exit, not how many rounds you have progressed through. 

You can no longer "accumulate" payments as you progress through rounds, which meant teams entering earlier could earn more than those receiving byes.

I believe there's only 1 Preliminary round, which will earn £2,200 if you exit at that stage, Round 1 exit will earn £5,000, Round 2 will earn £6,500.   In previous seasons if you had exited at Round 2 after entering in the Prelim round, you would have pocketed £2,200+£5,000+£6,500.  Now you get £6,500.

Not great news - no doubt impact of last 18 months especially lack of a sponsor for 2nd season running; but not quite as bad as those figures appear, as they seem to have increased the level per round? Pretty sure they used to be £3k > £4k > £5k, so you would have accumulated less than £2.2k + £5k + £6.5k.

Presumably cuts have been made proportionately throughout?

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

The Scottish Cup 2021/22 fixtures/structure confirmed. Incase anyone cares for it.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/202122-scottish-cup-fixture-dates-confirmed/?rid=2107

In future every club in a division will enter at the same round... no more byes for top 4 in Championship or for top 2 in Lowland & Highland.

This has a massive positive impact on lower-league and especially non-league clubs: as you go back each round a domino effect ends-up radically improving their chance to progress:

there will only be a single Preliminary
that Preliminary will be a combination of ties & byes

26 clubs will progress from Preliminary into R1, up from 6          increase of 434%

30 clubs will progress from R1 into R2, up from 18          increase of 67%

20 clubs will progress from R2 into R3, up from 16          increase of 25%

20 clubs will progress from R3 into R4, up from 16          increase of 25%

So there will now only be a single prelim round - from which some clubs will be byed/exempt - plus strongly improved opportunities to progress in each subsequent round. Cup will also be able to accommodate maximum 128 clubs instead of 100. Expandable to 180 by reintroducing another prelim round.

Preliminary = East of Scotland, South of Scotland, West of Scotland, North Caledonian, North Juniors join (11 ties & 15 byes)
First Round = Lowland, Highland join (30 ties)
Second Round = SPFL2 join (20 ties)
Third Round = Championship, SPFL1 join (20 ties)
Fourth Round = Premiership join (16 ties)

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

In future every club in a division will enter at the same round... no more byes for top 4 in Championship or for top 2 in Lowland & Highland.

This has a massive positive impact on lower-league and especially non-league clubs: as you go back each round a domino effect ends-up radically improving their chance to progress:

there will only be a single Preliminary
that Preliminary will be a combination of ties & byes

26 clubs will progress from Preliminary into R1, up from 6          increase of 434%

30 clubs will progress from R1 into R2, up from 18          increase of 67%

20 clubs will progress from R2 into R3, up from 16          increase of 25%

20 clubs will progress from R3 into R4, up from 16          increase of 25%

So there will now only be a single prelim round - from which some clubs will be byed/exempt - plus strongly improved opportunities to progress in each subsequent round. Cup will also be able to accommodate maximum 128 clubs instead of 100. Expandable to 180 by reintroducing another prelim round.

Have the qualifying routes been confirmed as still in place? Since i'd imagine they will surpass 128 pretty quickly, especially with those in place.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Have the qualifying routes been confirmed as still in place? Since i'd imagine they will surpass 128 pretty quickly, especially with those in place.

I heard all have been retained and WOSFL added. That would mean just North Caledonian missing (perhaps Midland depending on what current wording says) but presumaby they could be added at next AGM and no club would miss-out. (I recall rule amendments have to be submitted by February so that was before North Caley had joined pyramid or Midland existed).

Given who are getting licensed - I actually doubt most will ever be used again bar South East & West Shield and Amateur Cup. Plus perhaps SOSFL, North Caledonian and North Juniors.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think it's 6 new entrants this time out? (If you count Clydebank as a separate club).

Clydebank, Cumnock, Dalkeith Th, Darvel, Dunvar Utd, Sauchie.

Dalkeith, Dunbar, Sauchie, Clydebank, Cumnock plus Darvel make their debuts... Musselburgh, Auchinleck plus Irvine Meadow appear for first time as members having previously entered as qualifiers. Burntisland, Forres, Gretna, Girvan plus Golspie also return after taking option to sit-out last season.