2023 CONCACAF Gold Cup

I love it when I'm wrong. We dominated Costa Rica and 2-0 flatters them, one of the best overall performances by Canada (on the men's side) in a long time. Mexico in the Semi final will be a tough test but this performance bodes very well for the upcoming final round of world Cup qualifiers

On 26/07/2021 at 02:08, senorsoupe said:

I love it when I'm wrong. We dominated Costa Rica and 2-0 flatters them, one of the best overall performances by Canada (on the men's side) in a long time. Mexico in the Semi final will be a tough test but this performance bodes very well for the upcoming final round of world Cup qualifiers

Glad to hear it.

As a County fan I'm hoping Harry Paton gets his first cap for the senior team soon.  He's a good forward thinking midfield player. He's improved a fair bit the last two years, he's well deserving of his call up.

Best of luck again Mexico 🤞

Qatar v USA is other SF of course after invitees saw off El Salvador, having raced into a 3-goal lead which wasn't quite clawed-back.

USA have so far scraped past Haiti, gubbed Martinique, scraped past Canada and scraped past Jamaica.

Surely we're not going to see a team from the Middle East in the Final of the North American championship...?!?!

57 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Qatar v USA is other SF of course after invitees saw off El Salvador, having raced into a 3-goal lead which wasn't quite clawed-back.

USA have so far scraped past Haiti, gubbed Martinique, scraped past Canada and scraped past Jamaica.

Surely we're not going to see a team from the Middle East in the Final of the North American championship...?!?!

A "guest" country has made the final before, in 2000 when we won it, we beat Colombia in the final.  

On 27/07/2021 at 06:25, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Glad to hear it.

As a County fan I'm hoping Harry Paton gets his first cap for the senior team soon.  He's a good forward thinking midfield player. He's improved a fair bit the last two years, he's well deserving of his call up.

Best of luck again Mexico 🤞

I liked what I've seen of Paton with County and was happy to see him earn the call-up. Unfortunately, the covid scare really limited his chances to make an impression. This was really his chance to make a case to be a squad option in case of injury or suspension for the last stage of qualifying and unfortunately I think it's gone now after being in quarantine for the group stage. I was really hoping to see him get on the pitch at some point in the tournament, but it's hard to imagine it happening now. 

Should be fun tonight, full crowd of 72,000 in Houston for Mexico v Canada.

Really proud of Canada.  Despite missing some key players we took the game to Mexico and were the better team for most of the second half.  Mexico got their winner in the 9th minute of 7 minutes of stoppage time and that wasn't the only questionable refereeing moment in the game.  Tajon Buchanan is yet another in what is seemingly and endless conveyor belt of Canadian forwards/wingers and he did really well to get his first Canadian goal.  

There are still some question marks about our CB's though, Doneil Henry was 100% at fault for the first penalty and he often finds himself the wrong side of forwards.  Despite that, I think we have a real chance of making the world cup

Also, I am hearing reports that the ever classy Mexico fans were throwing racial slurs at our players last night on top of the homophobic slurs they stopped the game at one point for.  Mexico are already facing 2 games behind closed doors for bad fan behaviour so I hope that gets extended.

Disgusting

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It’s hard to look past Mexico strolling it this year.

The US have taken a B, if not a C team. Canada likewise. 

Agreed

We were really disjointed against a Guadeloupe team we should have beaten handily.  Without Davies, David, and Larin our attack is led by an aging Junior Hoilett (who can still show flashes of brilliance but spends the rest of his time being anonymous) and Lucas Cavallini (who is a decent finisher but makes terrible decisions in the final third).  Our defence was also all over the place and it really exposes how bad we are at defending set pieces

Both Canada and Guatemala absolutely stunk last night in a 0-0 draw that had very little in the way of quality. Liam Millar (the guy who used to play for Kilmarnock) was brutal, the amount that every one of his crosses was either overhit or underhit can be measured in yards while our midfield passing was constantly going wide.  Junior Hoilett and Richie Lareya tried to create things, but their end product was poor with the exception of a couple of decent attempts by Hoilett.  Hoilett's strike partner Lucas Cavallini (the Canadian Oli McBurnie) was completely anonymous, I don't remember him getting any touches in the box, just standing around waiting for crosses (that were usually terrible) to come to him and making very little effort to get into the game.

One of our big subs was to bring on a past it David Wotherspoon for the feckless Millar but that didn't do much good.  We were lucky that Guatemala were also cack, but even still we now need to put up a big score against Cuba to guarantee qualification.  

Edited by senorsoupe

On 28/06/2023 at 14:38, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It’s hard to look past Mexico strolling it this year.

The US have taken a B, if not a C team. Canada likewise. 

Mexico 0-1 Qatar

The game stats are something else. Mexico battered Qatar and Qatar score from their only shot on target. 

We were good enough to beat a poor Cuban team but we still need to be much better against the USA in the QF.  Junior Hoilett was once again impressive but he can't go the full 90 while our goalie (Dane St. Clair) conceded a stupid penalty.  Liam Millar was much better through the middle than on the wing (which is awkward for a winger) and he got his first goal for Canada.  Richie Laryea and Jonathan Osorio also impressed while it was good to see Ross County's Victor Loturi make his international debut

Edited by senorsoupe

4 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

We were good enough to beat a poor Cuban team but we still need to be much better against the USA in the QF.  Junior Hoilett was once again impressive but he can't go the full 90 while our goalie (Dane St. Clair) conceded a stupid penalty.  Liam Millar was much better through the middle than on the wing (which is awkward for a winger) and he got his first goal for Canada.  Richie Laryea and Jonathan Osorio also impressed while it was good to see Ross County's Victor Loturi make his international debut

Happy for Loturi, glad he got on for his first cap 💪🦌

5 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Happy for Loturi, glad he got on for his first cap 💪🦌

He got about 20 minutes and he did alright.  He didn't have much of a chance to really impact the game but he didn't make any mistakes