Top 5 ZX Spectrum games

StewartyMac

15 hours ago, ParsJake said:

There was Horizon

Evolution of Foxes and Rabbits is my main menory from that. That got about 30 seconds of my attention when I first got my Speccy before Trashman was hastily loaded and a new addiction was born. 

1. Elite. A whole universe in a wee plastic box. Simply mindblowing, even if just as a tech demo.

2. Manic Miner. Not, repeat, not, Jet Set Willy, where Matthew Smith obviously believed his own hype. 

3. Rebelstar. Update of Rebelstar Raiders which removed the need for a human opponent. Handy for anti-social wee fuckers like the teenage WRK. *

4. Match Point. Given the hardware, an amazing sports game. 

5. Any Artic or Brian Howarth (Mysterious Adventures) adventure game. Solve the puzzle two words at a time. 

The Spectrum was my first games platform, and the creativity shown in many games was absolutely amazing, especially in the days of the bedroom coders. Once the industry settled down, though, I'll admit I played many more titles on my C64, especially once I had the 5 1/4 disk drive for same - £199 in 1986, not that I paid that much - working at Lasky's, I got a returned item for a tenner (!) and my mate fixed it up for me. 

*ETA: just checked the release date - make that the early-mid twenties WRK. In fairness, I can only claim to have had a ZX-81 as a teenager...

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

10 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Evolution of Foxes and Rabbits is my main menory from that. That got about 30 seconds of my attention when I first got my Speccy before Trashman was hastily loaded and a new addiction was born. 

I don't think I loaded up Horizon once. 

A choice between learning about nature or scuttling around a maze searching for the treasure and picking up swords to kill Maziacs along the way.

No contest whatsoever.

6 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

1. Elite. A whole universe in a wee plastic box. Simply mindblowing, even if just as a tech demo.

Elite was fantastic. In my early teens i would close the curtains and switch the light off while playing Elite. I'd pretend that my bedroom was the Millennium Falcon. I can't think of any other Spectrum game that was so immersive. While Manic Miner, Commando or Paperboy were fun, you couldn't get away from the fact that you were playing a game. Elite felt more like you were living out an intergalactic fantasy. 

It would probably be shite if I tried playing it now though...

• 2 months later...

Just seen auld Sinclair had died and thought of this thread.

1. Any of the Dizzy games (played these for hours)
2. Renegade (the original one, not target renegade)
3. Footballer of the year (great shout, was this the one where you could spend some of your footballers wages gambling??)
4. 180 darts (the opponent were great)
5. Olli and Lisa (still not sure what this was about but enjoyed it all the same)

Ps did anyone else get Sinclair User magazine? I must have been a right geek…

Just seen auld Sinclair had died and thought of this thread.

1. Any of the Dizzy games (played these for hours)
2. Renegade (the original one, not target renegade)
3. Footballer of the year (great shout, was this the one where you could spend some of your footballers wages gambling??)
4. 180 darts (the opponent were great)
5. Olli and Lisa (still not sure what this was about but enjoyed it all the same)

Ps did anyone else get Sinclair User magazine? I must have been a right geek…

I was more a Your Sinclair man tbh

Crash, Your Sinclair, and Sinclair User, every month. I was a right spoiled brat.

The Your Sinclair collection for download at archive.org: https://archive.org/details/your-sinclair-magazine
Crash: https://archive.org/details/crash-magazine
Sinclair User: https://archive.org/details/sinclair-user-magazine

Edit: Crash had the best cover tapes, IIRC.

Edited by BFTD

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Speaking of magazines, I was apoplectic with rage when clearing out my okd boys loft (woof woof) there was no evidence of the 3 folders worth of these: 

04050B5B-58F8-436B-9FA4-A5EEE774518C.jpeg

I wonder how much he got for them on eBay?

This might bring back memories: https://archive.org/details/inputmagazine

Just now, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I suspect he chucked out the magazines but kept the folders for his vintage Razzles.

I wonder how much you'll get for them on eBay?

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Not even the Olive From On The Buses special from April 1973 (signed, slightly soiled)?

Before my time, auld yin.

Spoiler

Post the link when the listing goes up  :whistle