Top 5 ZX Spectrum games

StewartyMac

11 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I ordered tracksuit manager 2 from a computer magazine last, but alas it never ever appeared.

The  first one was simplistic genius.  Loved it.  The Double was good also.

I sign of tsm2 on World of Spectrum so looks like it was never released for the speccy. 
https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/software/games/tracksuit-manager-2-electronic-zoo

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I sign of tsm2 on World of Spectrum so looks like it was never released for the speccy. 
https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/software/games/tracksuit-manager-2-electronic-zoo

Thats why it hurt so much, they accepted the order.  Its the hope that kills you.

So many simple little games that were just tremendous.

Footballer of the year 2 was great.  

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Thats why it hurt so much, they accepted the order.  Its the hope that kills you.

Loved the Footballer of the Year games, had a European Super League as well which clearly was way ahead of its time.

7 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

God yes. Hours playing that one.

Football Director and TSM were both great fun.

The folk who made Football Director also made a game called International Manager that was every bit as good. I preferred it to TSM. Think I got Scotland to a WC semi and had us ranked 4th in the world at one point. Football Director II was also excellent. Basically the same shell as FD but with added bells and whistles.

1. Chaos: The battle of Wizards- Julian 'XCom' Gollop has spent his entire career remaking this, and his earlier Rebelstar Raiders game in the more modern idiom. He hit on two great ideas early on.

2. Lords of Midnight - one of the most atmospheric games ever

3. Manic Miner - super creative level design given the technical limitations

4. The Hobbit - unlike most text games, this wasn't a series of empty 'find the verb' puzzles, but a solidly modelled world where most of the puzzles were solvable by understanding how to manipulate the way the game's entities worked

5. Underwurlde - the obligatory Ultimate game. Hard to choose between most of the games they put out between 1983 and 1985, but I like this one the most.

Football Manager

Batman - The Movie

Bruce Lee

Uridum

Commando

I think I still have a boxed PC copy of Tracksuit Manager 2 kicking about somewhere for the PC. Never played it, so I don't know if it was any good, but it came out about a decade after the original. Just had a shuftie through my stupidly-large emulation folder, and I don't see any sign of Tracksuit Manager Europe. I guess it must have sold half a dozen copies or something.

@Tynierose - did you pre-order it through Special Reserve? Those c***s were probably taking orders for Red Dead Redemption 2 back in the Eighties. Must have made a fortune taking money for games that were years away, if ever released at all, by which point people would've forgotten they'd already paid for it.

Footballer of the Year was fun and unique, but too easy, unfortunately. A modern version could be interesting. I remember International Manager too - think that was the one where your squad improved as they played more matches, so you had to get your arse handed to you in friendlies to level up your weaker players.

I loved the tape inlays for Cult/D&H Games titles. You'd always get a terrible pencil sketch on the front, and a random text list of words used in the game on the back. What an incentive to buy.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/sinclair/entries/0002513/InternationalManager(CultGames)_Front.jpg

Irrelevant, but Tracksuit Manager was shite on the 16-bit systems. Worked fine if you played as England, but if you changed country and input your own players, their names would be corrupt when you started the game. I assumed it must just have been the Atari ST version for years, but the Amiga one was the same.

^^^ reasons why the Speccy was the best computer thread for this pish

Absolutely impossible to whittle this down to top 5 and I'm not even going to try.

I remember my dad bringing one home for me when I was 7 or 8 with a 6 game starter pack which had Chequered Flag, Chess and, most importantly of all, Horace Goes Skiing. There was Horizon and a teccy/hardware tape which also had a few mini games on it, one of those being Maze Chase which was stupidly addictive. Oh, and a 4-game compilation with Space Invaders, Jumbly, Dig Dug and what may well be my favourite Spectrum game of all time, Maziacs. :D

Maziacs. What a fucking game that was and is. Entire Sundays of my childhood lost to it and time very well spent. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maziacs

I still have a ZX Spectrum Plus in full working order with a pile of games for it. I haven't set it up in years but I can't and won't get rid of it.