The Premiere Division 2021-22

I remember the days when referees actually had a personality, players could talk to them.  Now most of them appear to be robots churned out by the SFA, and many appear out of their depth. Some of them talk to players like dirt.

That said, some of the stuff dugouts (and fans) shout at officials is completely out of order, particularly when they don't have the support of linesmen.  It's a difficult job.

Both sides need to change.

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I remember the days when referees actually had a personality, players could talk to them.  Now most of them appear to be robots churned out by the SFA, and many appear out of their depth. Some of them talk to players like dirt.

That said, some of the stuff dugouts (and fans) shout at officials is completely out of order, particularly when they don't have the support of linesmen.  It's a difficult job.

was at a league cup game where an away supporter who was wider than he was tall was shouting at the ref he was a ‘king cheating C’ at the end of the game when he was walking off. Embarrassing 

5 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Presumably the SFA aren't putting refs into situations where they are out of their depth for the fun of it, it'll be out of necessity because they are the best available for this level? If refs are leaving (abuse etc) and not being replaced (very likely with Covid) then standards are going to slip. 

There was an article I saw with the Sauchie manager complaining about the ref coming across to the dugout and booking him for something that someone else had said in the Linlithgow game - well yeah, those are the rules if the ref can't identify the culprit!

7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Presumably the SFA aren't putting refs into situations where they are out of their depth for the fun of it, it'll be out of necessity because they are the best available for this level? If refs are leaving (abuse etc) and not being replaced (very likely with Covid) then standards are going to slip. 

There was an article I saw with the Sauchie manager complaining about the ref coming across to the dugout and booking him for something that someone else had said in the Linlithgow game - well yeah, those are the rules if the ref can't identify the culprit!

They do identify referees they want to "fast track" and probably get it wrong at times hence some looking pretty young and out of their depth.  There was a young lad earlier this season who done one of our U20's on the Friday night, he was OK but pretty raw.  He then told us he was doing a top of the table clash in one of the Conferences the next day without assistants.   No idea how he got on, but dropping referees into that environment can make or break them, no young ref should be allocated a senior game without assistants IMO.

I saw that article, he doesn't know the rules clearly but from experience, that dugout likes a moan but so does every clubs, inc mine.  I think one thing clubs can try and do themselves is cut down on indiscipline from their coaching staff.

On 23/04/2022 at 21:27, jay1 said:

How is the lad that went to hospital after being knocked unconscious?

He's fine mate ta

(Darren Handling) Danny's brother (Edinburgh city).

Can't remember anything about the incident.

Glad he's been checked and given all clear.

10 hours ago, Ginaro said:

If only more players packed it in and took up refereeing, they could help the referee shortage and show the officials who they think are rubbish how it's done.

The goal that wasn't! Adds fuel to the argument about officials' incompetence, especially when you see the other "goal" for Musselburgh, after the red card, that was chalked off for offside - onside by quite a margin! 

Give Penicuik all the credit you like for keeping going, but Musselburgh were harshly treated twice!

IMG-20220424-WA0005.jpg

Edited by Passthebaw

2 minutes ago, Jamesy75 said:

He's fine mate ta

(Darren Handling) Danny's brother (Edinburgh city).

Can't remember anything about the incident.

Glad he's been checked and given all clear.

Great to hear, pass on our best wishes from everyone at Blackburn United.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

They do identify referees they want to "fast track" and probably get it wrong at times hence some looking pretty young and out of their depth.  There was a young lad earlier this season who done one of our U20's on the Friday night, he was OK but pretty raw.  He then told us he was doing a top of the table clash in one of the Conferences the next day without assistants.   No idea how he got on, but dropping referees into that environment can make or break them, no young ref should be allocated a senior game without assistants IMO.

Probably in a no-win situation as if they don't fast track then they'll struggle at the top end in years to come? Wonder how many more games are needing refereed compared to 5-10-15 years ago (with U20, women, and now VAR) - and what the referee numbers are like... (I saw an English FA reporting 25% less refs than last season).

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

The goal that wasn't! Adds fuel to the argument about officials' incompetence, especially when you see the other "goal" for Musselburgh, after the red card, that was chalked off for offside - onside by quite a margin! 

Give Penicuik all the credit you like for keeping going, but Musselburgh were harshly treated twice!

That's a tough one for the ref as it is fired at the goalie from close range, it's only over the line for two or three frames in the video. The AR isn't in line with the goal line which also doesn't help. Though let's be honest, the player is incompetent as well - hitting it straight at the goalie on the floor!

Not sure how you can say it was onside by quite a margin. It's hard to get the exact moment of the flick on but the Musselburgh's players right foot looks to be on the 6 yard line and the Penicuik player doesn't seem to have reached that line yet.

mus.JPG

Edited by Ginaro

8 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Probably in a no-win situation as if they don't fast track then they'll struggle at the top end in years to come? Wonder how many more games are needing refereed compared to 5-10-15 years ago (with U20, women, and now VAR) - and what the referee numbers are like... (I saw an English FA reporting 25% less refs than last season).

That's a tough one for the ref as it is fired at the goalie from close range, it's only over the line for two or three frames in the video. The AR isn't in line with the goal line which also doesn't help. Though let's be honest, the player is incompetent as well - hitting it straight at the goalie on the floor!

Not sure how you can say it was onside by quite a margin. It's hard to get the exact moment of the flick on but the Musselburgh's players right foot looks to be on the 6 yard line and the Penicuik player doesn't seem to have reached that line yet.

mus.JPG

Take it back 2 or 3 frames - at the point of delivery. He's onside then and ⬆️ imho. 2 legitimate goals, none given! This is not a witch-hunt against referees and AR's, but they must do better.

34 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Take it back 2 or 3 frames - at the point of delivery. He's onside then and ⬆️ imho. 2 legitimate goals, none given! This is not a witch-hunt against referees and AR's, but they must do better.

Totally agree! If he was onside 3 frames prior then clearly the lino should have clocked that! At 60fps that’s a whole 20th of a second.

Edited by Ann Dan Otherthing

This has to be the most epic end of season ever when , with three games left, teams placed 9th+ could still potentially be relegated.  The most likely candidates to join WW and Camelon look to be Nitten and LTHV - could you imagine clubs of this size being relegated a few years ago?  The league is all set for major change with the West Lothian sides coming in, the shape of the PL will be different in a few years but it could also be quite incredible to have all the big East Lothian sides in the PL.

Just posted tis in the Musselburgh Athletic thread:

Oh the drama.  From the highlights Musselburgh will be disappointed they didn't take something from the game with the chances they created.

So I'm bored...Using the Penicuik highlights.  The ball looks even further over the line in this shot.

image.png.4f22959bc567c05a309a4f19da9fbb0e.png

Should the assistant have seen it from his view - taking into consideration the bodies and legs in between him and the ball?
image.png.6e558405dc675ebc0f7392fc8f056109.png

Offside right enough?  Just before the header on.....I used the 6 yard line and highlighted it more.

image.thumb.png.c762630283ffaa66eedbfa0890de5e47.png

6 minutes ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

Just posted tis in the Musselburgh Athletic thread:

Oh the drama.  From the highlights Musselburgh will be disappointed they didn't take something from the game with the chances they created.

So I'm bored...Using the Penicuik highlights.  The ball looks even further over the line in this shot.

image.png.4f22959bc567c05a309a4f19da9fbb0e.png

Should the assistant have seen it from his view - taking into consideration the bodies and legs in between him and the ball?
image.png.6e558405dc675ebc0f7392fc8f056109.png

Offside right enough?  Just before the header on.....I used the 6 yard line and highlighted it more.

image.thumb.png.c762630283ffaa66eedbfa0890de5e47.png

Looks like a goal to me ...

3 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

There appears to be a flick-on off the head of a Musselburgh player which creates a new offside line, hence my screenshot is taken from that point.

The ball was over the line for about a tenth of a second, you might want to lower your expectations of the ARs and put more of the blame onto your player for not scoring from three yards out.

1 hour ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

If you look at the second replay angle to the right of the goals you can see the AR's position.