How many fucking times do we need to say, "NO!"

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Well when you said "They are very obviously Scotland’s two standout young talents at the moment and therefore it’s only natural they are mentioned in the same breath. The comparisons should only be stopped when discussing the merits of a midfielder and a right back."

One rarely plays for the European champions but looks like he's going to be a regular at Norwich. The other rarely plays for a Rangers team that walked the league.

If Patterson was at Chelsea he'd probably be rarely playing for Vitesse Arnhem or in the reserves.

Gilmour is by some distance Scotland’s stand out young player but his potential has long been known since his Rangers youth days and on the face of it could go right to the top. Saying what Patterson would or wouldn’t be doing if he’d been at Chelsea is pure whataboutery but as things stand he’s Scotland’s next best young prospect at the moment so is very much part of the discussion about future Scotland players. 

10 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Has 8Mile actually just tried to say that Gilmour and Patterson are at the same level? 

No he clearly hasn’t said that and you’re a fucking idiot (old news) if you think I think that. Trying too hard as usual Diddy.

16 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I genuinely don’t think we’d be that excited by Patterson if it wasn’t for the fact that we’re currently playing Stephen O’Donnell in his position. I’m not saying he’s not a good player, but he’s nowhere near what Billy Gilmour could be. 

Again, I don’t think anyone has said anywhere (nor expect) Patterson to reach Gilmour’s level, especially if he remains in Scotland in the near future. All that’s been said (by me anyway) is that Gilmour/Patterson are our two current standout young prospects.

As things stand from a Scotland point of view I would love Patterson to be playing every week in a stronger league than the SPFL, but from a club level I fully understand why he isn’t or might not for a wee while. 

Edited by 8MileBU

3 hours ago, Marten said:

Absolutely agreed, the situation differs per country so you can't just copy a system in one country to another. Also another thing on Spain, they've had colt teams for many decades now. Yet until they won Euro 2008 they were arguably the biggest underachievers in international football...

It just takes a wee while for these B teams to produce their magic.

24 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

All that’s been said (by me anyway) is that Gilmour/Patterson are our two current standout young prospects.

I’m saying that I don’t think that’s true. Gilmour is obviously the standout, but I’d have Turnbull ahead of Patterson. Doig also looks very good, as did Hickey (but I don’t know how he’s got on in Italy). 

Patterson, I think, gets a lot of attention because he plays a position which has been a massive problem for us for at least 5 years, and looks like he could be the answer for a while, not because he’s considerably better than some of our other young prospects. Again, none of this is to say that I don’t think Patterson is a good player, because he quite obviously is. 

18 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m saying that I don’t think that’s true. Gilmour is obviously the standout, but I’d have Turnbull ahead of Patterson. Doig also looks very good, as did Hickey (but I don’t know how he’s got on in Italy). 

Patterson, I think, gets a lot of attention because he plays a position which has been a massive problem for us for at least 5 years, and looks like he could be the answer for a while, not because he’s considerably better than some of our other young prospects. Again, none of this is to say that I don’t think Patterson is a good player, because he quite obviously is. 

I kind of agree re Turnbull as the boy is a very good player. I still see Patterson as more of a prospect for the national side because I think Turnbull is going to be held back by the number of other players he’s competing with for a spot in midfield whereas Patterson is only really competing with O’Donnell. On recent showings for Scotland I’d be happy for Turnbull to be in ahead of Callum McGregor or Stuart Armstrong although I think McGregor being a left-footed player does give good balance to the side.

Doig is decent but we’re fairly well sorted for left sided defenders.

Hickey looked a tremendous talent at Hearts and apparently started off pretty well with Bologna but caught Covid not all that long after his move and I think got a fairly bad injury in training after recovering from the ‘rona. A fit on-form Hickey for me would be ideal for that right-side of the 3 centre backs role allowing McTominay to go back into midfield. 

23 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Gilmour is by some distance Scotland’s stand out young player but his potential has long been known since his Rangers youth days and on the face of it could go right to the top. Saying what Patterson would or wouldn’t be doing if he’d been at Chelsea is pure whataboutery but as things stand he’s Scotland’s next best young prospect at the moment so is very much part of the discussion about future Scotland players. 

No he clearly hasn’t said that and you’re a fucking idiot (old news) if you think I think that. Trying too hard as usual Diddy

You said the only way the comparison stops is that one is a defender and one is a midfielder? 

46 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

So is that not you saying they are in every other way comparable which indicates you think they are on the same level? 

They are comparable in that they are both young Scottish prospects. When comparing both, as things stand one has the potential to be our first pick midfielder and the other has the potential to become our first choice right back. No sure what you’re struggling with. 

On 30/06/2021 at 17:50, 8MileBU said:

A fit on-form Hickey for me would be ideal for that right-side of the 3 centre backs role allowing McTominay to go back into midfield. 

Hickey favours his left foot, and normally plays on the left side of defence.

But discussing the merits of Gilmour, Patterson, Turnbull and so on is derailing the general agreement that colt sides aren't a welcome addition to the league system. Already the Old Firm are set to waste this year's Lowland League by playing a series of what they claim will be non competitive matches, while expecting a free promotion to the next level up for the following season. Even if they lose all their matches. 

No wonder folk say they are two cheeks of the same arse.

bear faced cheek.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

53 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

They are comparable in that they are both young Scottish prospects. When comparing both, as things stand one has the potential to be our first pick midfielder and the other has the potential to become our first choice right back. No sure what you’re struggling with. 

Liam Kelly has the potential to be our first choice goalkeeper, but nobody would compare him to Billy Gilmour.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Liam Kelly has the potential to be our first choice goalkeeper, but nobody would compare him to Billy Gilmour.

He shat it when called out IMO. Back peddling rather than saying he may have over exaggerated Patterson's ability.

On 30/06/2021 at 10:10, craigkillie said:

Can we stop mentioning Gilmour and Patterson in the same breath as though they're comparable?

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You’re gripe was about folk mentioning Gilmour and Paterson in the same breath so I explained that folk are doing so as they’ve both had a bit of a break-through season, we’re just off the back of the Euro’s and their  potential/prospects for Scotland are comparable.

Gilmour is clearly the more gifted player and better placed at the moment to go onto bigger things at club level, but neither of those things were ever disputed. 

I have absolutely nothing to add to the Liam Kelly remark.

Edited by 8MileBU

24 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He shat it when called out IMO. Back peddling rather than saying he may have over exaggerated Patterson's ability.

“shat it” 😄

”called out” 😄

At no point have I even compared their ability as Gilmour is streets ahead in that respect but that’s why Gilmour’s a midfielder and Patterson’s a full back. 

9 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

“shat it” 😄

”called out” 😄

At no point have I even compared their ability as Gilmour is streets ahead in that respect but that’s why Gilmour’s a midfielder and Patterson’s a full back. 

Their ability being compared was the whole point of craigkillie's initial post.

34 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Their ability being compared was the whole point of craigkillie's initial post.

Fucking hell 🥱

I explained why people are comparing them and talking about them in the same breath. Their ability is comparable in that one could potentially go on to be a top level full back as the other could a top level midfielder. The latter I feel may need a move out of Scotland to the right club sooner rather than later though. 

Folk need to stop shrieking about comparisons being made when they’re clearly making their “not-comparable” argument based only on the skills/technique of either player, but again that boils down to why one has become a midfielder and the other a full back.