Rangers B 2021/22

edinabear

22 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Ukraine had 6 players in their squad last night with B team experience including Zinchenko the 1st goalscorer (Jong PSV). 

Yarmolenko - Kiev 2 (35apps)

Stepanenko - Metalurh 2 (16)

Sydorchuk - Metalurh 2 (17)

Malinovskiy - Shaktar 3rds (39) 

Makarenko - Kiev 2 (30)

and Switzerland has:

Benito - Benfica B (5); 

Elvedi - Zurich B (24)

Ajetti - Augsburg B (6)

Widmer - Aarau B (9)

Xhaka - Concordia Basel (feeder team)

Zuber - Hoffenheim B (3)

Sow - Zurich B (20) and Borrussia Moenchengladbach B (32)

Shaquiri - Basel B (19)

Gavranovic - Shalke 04 B (5)

Others in the last eight with B teams in their league structure include Spain, Italy, Czech Rep.  Out the comp are Portugal, Croatia, Holland and Germany.

In the Czech Rep, B teams were introduced en-masse at Tier 3 in 2019/20.

Even the most cursory glance shows that a number of these are completely fucking irrelevant to the “B teams help with youth development argument”

To take an example, Steven Zuber was 24 and had played over 100 Swiss top flight games and won a Russian Premier League before ever playing for a B team.

Granit Xhaka was 8 years old when he was at Concordia Basel, so I’m fairly confident in saying he never made a first team appearance for them.

Zinchenko had played a season of Russian top flight football before playing for a B team.

There’s others who don’t fit too, these are just the first 3 I saw. 

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

So Ukraine and Switzerland had more players who never played for a B team? Does that mean players who didn't play for B teams are better?

No, it simply means that some international players have benefitted from B teams in the pathway at their clubs.

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Even the most cursory glance shows that a number of these are completely fucking irrelevant to the “B teams help with youth development argument”

To take an example, Steven Zuber was 24 and had played over 100 Swiss top flight games and won a Russian Premier League before ever playing for a B team.

Granit Xhaka was 8 years old when he was at Concordia Basel, so I’m fairly confident in saying he never made a first team appearance for them.

Zinchenko had played a season of Russian top flight football before playing for a B team.

I thought you would be behind the B teams given your chief exec was one of the authors of the innovation paper. 😀

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Ah ok then, so just cancel the whole thing?    

The B teams are also used for players returning from injury.  

Lionel Messi played 22 times for Barcelona B team - can you explain the downside to that one...?  He's quite good likes.

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Genuine question, what are your thoughts on your club supporting the idea?

I translated a bit from this article on the Czech Republic:

"The B-team primarily serves the needs of the A-team, but our main goal is to develop our young players. We set goals to train and play with the same intensity, difficulty and game expression as the A-team shows us. A possible move would be a strategic step forward, we have set it within two years, "said Jiří Bílek, a member of the Slavic leadership, for the club website.

"Compared to the junior league, it will definitely be a jump for the boys. On the one hand, there is already a game of promotion and relegation, and older players are also appearing in the competition, which awaits the boys for the first time. I wonder what it will look like. We can also count on the fact that players from the A-team will play for us in some matches, “added the coach of the Pilsen reserve Pavel Horváth.

https://www.idnes.cz/fotbal/domaci-souteze/zmeny-nizsi-souteze-cfl-msfl-divize-b-tymy.A190625_160334_fot_dsouteze_jic

They're quite good as well - certainly papped Scotland anyway.

30 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

1. Ah ok then, so just cancel the whole thing? 

2. The B teams are also used for players returning from injury.  

3. Lionel Messi played 22 times for Barcelona B team - can you explain the downside to that one...?  He's quite good likes.

1. Yes, just cancel the whole thing.

2. How does that help to develop players for the national team, which after all is the whole point of this allegedly?

3. Yes, Lionel Messi is quite good - the third best player of all time in fact (behind Ross Forbes and Cristiano Ronaldo, in that order). I would suggest that the downside is that fans of other clubs in Spain’s lower leagues have to put up with their leagues being a joke. And that having someone gain experience could be done extremely easily using the loan system. Just this week, Thistle sent one of our best prospects to Stenhousemuir for the season to gain experience, with absolutely no impact on sporting integrity whatsoever. Remarkable, isn’t it?

Edit: if you could also explain how Lionel Messi’s games for Barcelona B have helped the Spanish national team, that’d be great. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

8 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

Genuine question, what are your thoughts on your club supporting the idea?

I don’t know if my club supports the idea. I know our chief exec was involved in the working group, but I’m not sure what that entailed.

I have let the club know my feelings on the matter on numerous occasions, and I would find it very hard to support the club with the current board in place if they do support this garbage. 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I don’t know if my club supports the idea. I know our chief exec was involved in the working group, but I’m not sure what that entailed.

I have let the club know my feelings on the matter on numerous occasions, and I would find it very hard to support the club with the current board in place if they do support this garbage. 

Fair enough, I know it was made known that Gerry B was on the group that came up with the paper, so just assumed he would have done so with the club’s backing.

17 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Lionel Messi played 22 times for Barcelona B team - can you explain the downside to that one...?  He's quite good likes.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that B teams were not critical to the development of Lionel Messi.

22 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

1. Yes, just cancel the whole thing.

2. How does that help to develop players for the national team, which after all is the whole point of this allegedly?

3. Yes, Lionel Messi is quite good - the third best player of all time in fact (behind Ross Forbes and Cristiano Ronaldo, in that order). I would suggest that the downside is that fans of other clubs in Spain’s lower leagues have to put up with their leagues being a joke. And that having someone gain experience could be done extremely easily using the loan system. Just this week, Thistle sent one of our best prospects to Stenhousemuir for the season to gain experience, with absolutely no impact on sporting integrity whatsoever. Remarkable, isn’t it?

Edit: if you could also explain how Lionel Messi’s games for Barcelona B have helped the Spanish national team, that’d be great. 

Messi is Argentinian - he's helped out with their national team a bit.

Spanish football is a joke, aye? 

What B team did Ross Forbes play for?

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

Going to go out on a limb here and say that B teams were not critical to the development of Lionel Messi.

Aye ok, shut the door on the way out eh 👍

I suppose it didn't help Guardiola as a player and as a manager either 👍 

Edited by Che Dail

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Ok, so we should have B teams in Scottish football so that maybe it’ll help the Argentinian national team? 

No, it's to help the Scottish National Team. 

If the league standard improves, so will the players = best v best. 

So if the next Messi signs for Rangers and plays for a season in their B team, or even Stenhousemuir the Hibs B team,  it would raise the standard of that team.  It would improve those around him, and provide a challenge for those playing against him (who, mostly, will be Scottish).  

Edited by Che Dail

7 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

I suppose it didn't help Guardiola as a player and as a manager either 👍 

Playing a handful of games in a B team is definitely the reason that Guardiola turned into the player he was. Nothing to do with his natural ability, excellent coaching and training facilities and massive amounts of money thrown at the Barcelona academy. As soon as he was good enough he was in the Barcelona first team. These are the reasons countries like Spain develop good players. 

Just now, RiG said:

Playing a handful of games in a B team is definitely the reason that Guardiola turned into the player he was. Nothing to do with his natural ability, excellent coaching and training facilities and massive amounts of money thrown at the Barcelona academy. As soon as he was good enough he was in the Barcelona first team. These are the reasons countries like Spain develop good players. 

'Natural ability' -  What is that exactly?

The Barcelona B team is part of the Academy and coaching structure - it's a component of their pathway to the 1st team (for players and coaches) - the transition between youth and adult football at the highest level of the game.

1 hour ago, Che Dail said:

No, it simply means that some international players have benefitted from B teams in the pathway at their clubs.

It means some (a minority) of players in these national teams played some games for B teams. It doesn't mean they became better players for doing it, which is the only way it would actually benefit their national teams.

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It means some (a minority) of players in these national teams played some games for B teams. It doesn't mean they became better players for doing it, which is the only way it would actually benefit their national teams.

What, you believe that they went from u17s or u19s to B team competitive football against professional adults, and it didn't improve them? 

The question really isn't have good players ever played for B teams. Great, good, mediocre and shit players have all played for B teams. Great, good, mediocre and shit players have all not played for B teams. The question is really simple - does playing in a B team lead to a player better becoming better than if they'd taken an alternate route (which is either being put straight into the first team or going out on loan)?

To answer that question, you can't just pick and choose a few players, it requires an actual statistical analysis of many, many players.

32 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Messi is Argentinian - he's helped out with their national team a bit.

Spanish football is a joke, aye? 

What B team did Ross Forbes play for?

He's won nothing with Argentina.

B teams in the lower league are a bad idea, you just know the two arse cheeks will keep pushing this until they have teams in the Championship and we will end up with a joke Second tier like Austria