Scottish Junior Cup 2021-22

The board of the Scottish Junior FA hereby announce their plans to create a National

Cup competition for Non-League clubs in the Scottish FA’s pyramid structure from

tier 5 and below. With over 200 clubs across the country it is hoped this ambitious

move will capture the imagination of clubs and supporters throughout the Scottish

game.

Funded by the Scottish Junior FA with a financial backing of £80,000 underlines the

Association’s commitment in creating a prestige national competition for all. Initial

discussions with other leagues and Associations have taken place and we are

encouraged with the positive feedback. Work with all parties will now begin to bring

this to fruition for season 2022-2023.

The 2nd October 2021 marks the 135th Anniversary of the Scottish Junior FA. Founded

in 1886 with 39 clubs, the Association and its clubs have been woven into the fabric

of Scottish football. Now with the establishment of all our clubs within the Scottish FA

pyramid structure we now focus on aiding our game further with this initiative.

To mark our 135th anniversary the Association will be distributing payments of £1,350

to four organisations in each of the North, East & West regions of the country. These

organisations will reflect the clubs and their communities

Looks like the SJFA are burning through some of that bank balance they're meant to have stashed away. Also doesn't sound like an invite since they're talking about creating something.

32 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Question I'd have is would the competition be ran & organised solely by the SJFA or would it be a model of being ran & organised by all the involved leagues as the South Challenge Cup does.

I would say with them throwing most of the money in to start it, they'd also be offering to largely administer it on behalf of everyone. In the same way the SoSFL reps seem to take the lead on the South Challenge Cup.

11 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure where to put this but it's related to previous discussions. 

Colin Boyd's reply tells us that if sane rational actors were involved in this a merger of the SCC and SJC should easily be achieved in time for next season since both initiatives appear to have much the same goal in mind. It's Scottish football so...

Edited by LongTimeLurker

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Question I'd have is would the competition be ran & organised solely by the SJFA or would it be a model of being ran & organised by all the involved leagues as the South Challenge Cup does.

I guess the SJFA have to run it themselves otherwise if it's the leagues then what's the point in the SJFA? 

Basically both SCC and SJC have to expand their remit to include the north clubs and non-SJFA clubs respectively. Question is will it be easier to get the north leagues to join the SCC or to persuade 50+ ex-Junior clubs to return to a competition run by the SJFA?

5 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I guess the SJFA have to run it themselves otherwise if it's the leagues then what's the point in the SJFA?

Because the SJFA are still representing their clubs collectively as before. There's no North or Midlands representation, it's all through the SJFA.

SJFA, HL, LL, WoSFL, EoSFL, SoSFL, NCL.

What is the guy McDowell's role - why would he he in the loop? Is he on the board of one of the leagues?
CEO who took over from Tom Johnston last year with a slight restructure in the job role. Was involved with Gartcairn prior to taking the SJFA blazer.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He wouldn't actually have anything to do with that cup then, would he? Didn't think the SJFA ran any leagues themselves.

The North and Midlands regions are still hiding behind the SJFA as an organisation to do their bidding. It's also the SJFA that are trying to bankroll this endeavour to sway people to their side.

Couple of other snippets coming from the SJFA chief's twitter.

The 80k is a 3 year commitment. Which would be just under 27k a year. Keep in mind the SFA were putting in 20k each for the North & South South Challenge Cups for the first two years.

Looking to fund raise that 80k rather than dipping into the SJFA investment.

Regionalisation and byes for those in the big Scottish Cup all under considation.

image.png.8f197d62c04b229911a0b43da5703664.png

image.png.53b9b24efc064e5a0a97744bbabe39d4.png

He wouldn't actually have anything to do with that cup then, would he? Didn't think the SJFA ran any leagues themselves.
One of the few things left for SJFA left to do is run the Scottish Junior Cup or whatever they wish to rename it as and as had been said Midland and North Region Leagues.

It seems to me like a political battle between SJFA and South Region Challenge Cup to see who becomes the main Scottish National Non League Trophy. I can see a number of teams in West like my team Irvine Meadow playing in both until a winner is decided [emoji23]

• 3 weeks later...

The final first round tie saw Livingston United win 3-2 on penalties (2-2 FT) against Stoneyburn, they play Cumbernauld United in round 2. They have an EOS league game on Saturday but presumably that'll be rearranged - since it is against fellow participants Syngenta.

Cumnock's Junior Cup game v Hurlford is moved to midweek on 13th October due to their Scottish Cup replay.