Scots on the move

4 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

What’s the BPL?

The fucking physical side…🤦🏻‍♂️  I hate when that backwards pish gets peddled out with regards to top talent. He’s also stood out like a sore thumb anytime he’s played so far.

The sheer ability top players have see them get around “the physical side” without much trouble which I feel Gilmour certainly can do. Otherwise if the club are that concerned then they set up with a spoiler or a horrible b*****d alongside him.

I think Billy handles the physical side well. He's no shrinking violet, unlike some twice his size. 

Then, we can look at arguably the best player on the planet, in Messi. 

He shrugs it off and gets on with it and literallly shreds c***s. 

Then there is Modric and so on. Being a large brute, is no substitute for talent and talent will win out every time. 

9 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

What’s the BPL?

The fucking physical side…🤦🏻‍♂️  I hate when that backwards pish gets peddled out with regards to top talent. He’s also stood out like a sore thumb anytime he’s played so far.

The sheer ability top players have see them get around “the physical side” without much trouble which I feel Gilmour certainly can do. Otherwise if the club are that concerned then they set up with a spoiler or a horrible b*****d alongside him.

Sorry it was an autocorrect from EPL that I didn’t notice. It’s a system at work that I was e-mailing about all day yesterday and my phone seems to have learnt, I wish it would learn the word f**k instead of censoring me by putting duck all the time 🤣

I totally agree about the whole physical side argument. I am at the point where I honestly don’t see why they don’t just play him, I think he looks clearly ready in most of the games I have seen him in. I just know from some of the interviews that it’s what Tuchel seems to be thinking.

Ryan Christie rumoured to be joining Monaco for £5m. No idea if it would work, but if he gets things back on track with a good coach/manager then we'll have a class player on our hands again. Part of me thinks he just needs bad habits coached out of him.

Is Monaco's manager any good?

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/2332084/ex-dundee-united-star-ryan-gauld-set-to-make-call-on-bumper-2-million-a-year-mls-pay-offer/

Good on him if that's accurate. £2m a year to go and live in a class city in a class country for a few years.

Would he really earn much less going to a top Portuguese or even a middling German side. 

Maybe a good lifestyle move, but an appalling career one. Gauld’s potential Scotland involvement can be safely filed in the bin if it goes through. 

38 minutes ago, Brian Graham’s Lovely Hair said:

If Grealish is worth £100 million, £50 million for SJM is a bargain. 

Grealish is a much better player than McGinn. Neither are worth those fees.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

23 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
42 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:
Grealish is a much better player than McGinn. Neither are worth those fees.

Much sexier player, maybe, but both are dangerous and out of possession I'd much rather have McGinn in my side to dig us out.

McGinn isn’t nearly as valuable to Villa as Grealish is. They are different types of player so of course Grealish isn’t going to ‘dig you out’ defensively the same way McGinn would. But then it is disingenuous to say that they are ‘both dangerous’. Grealish clearly far more so given he has double the goals/assists of McGinn this season in 11 fewer games.

On 24/06/2021 at 08:12, 8MileBU said:

If Chelsea are going to let Gilmour go out on loan I’d much rather see him go to the Bundesliga for a season, to the likes of a Dortmund, Leipzig or someone of that ilk where he’s likely to get loads of game time in a league where his development is more likely to be enhanced. 

That’s not to say he wouldn’t be first choice or come on leaps and bounds at the likes of Norwich but I always feel domestic loans are a bit hit or miss and far more likely to be subject to limitations and influences from the parent club.

Ethan Ampadu's loan spell at Leipzig will surely have put Chelsea off similar loan spell. Since that loan, he looks miles away from the great prospect he looked a few years ago.

Also, Dortmund and Leipzig are top end Bundesliga teams who arent far off the level of Chelsea themselves. He'd get more game time, but not sure he would be a regular starter by any stretch at either of those teams.

I think Norwich is a great choice for him; they generally play decent football, he'll have Hanley and McLean there to help him settle and they seem to be making a commitment to improving their squad with the signing of Rashica. 

Excited to see what happens.

7 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Ryan Christie rumoured to be joining Monaco for £5m. No idea if it would work, but if he gets things back on track with a good coach/manager then we'll have a class player on our hands again. Part of me thinks he just needs bad habits coached out of him.

Is Monaco's manager any good?

Nico Kovac, ex-Croatia and Bayern who was excellent at Eintracht Frankfurt and seems to be doing well at Monaco.

With loads of Ligue 1 on BT, would be good to have an extra excuse to watch it other than hoping to see Neymar get booted f**k out of.

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

McGinn isn’t nearly as valuable to Villa as Grealish is. They are different types of player so of course Grealish isn’t going to ‘dig you out’ defensively the same way McGinn would. But then it is disingenuous to say that they are ‘both dangerous’. Grealish clearly far more so given he has double the goals/assists of McGinn this season in 11 fewer games.

Right.  And it’s not as if they are competing for the same position.   I would say that Jack Grealish came across as a borderline imbecile on a BBC interview the other day, whereas John McGinn can actually string a coherent sentence together.  Grealish is also a ball hog, whereas I sometimes wish McGinn would hold on to the ball more.  Apples and oranges, basically.

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Right.  And it’s not as if they are competing for the same position.   I would say that Jack Grealish came across as a borderline imbecile on a BBC interview the other day, whereas John McGinn can actually string a coherent sentence together.  Grealish is also a ball hog, whereas I sometimes wish McGinn would hold on to the ball more.  Apples and oranges, basically.

Whether or not someone can string a sentence together is irrelevant with regards to how good they are at football. He’s clearly thick as mince. Apples and oranges yes, but Villa fans would be far more upset at losing Grealish than they would McGinn, hence why he commands a higher fee.

I feel like I’m slagging McGinn when I do think he’s a good player, I just think Scotland fans overrate him quite a bit. I see him as a good Premier League player, for a team like Villa, Everton etc. Grealish has the talent to play for Pep at Man City IMO. He’s just so much more comfortable on the ball, great technique. I watched a bit of England - Czechia and some of his touches were class. 

18 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Whether or not someone can string a sentence together is irrelevant with regards to how good they are at football. He’s clearly thick as mince. Apples and oranges yes, but Villa fans would be far more upset at losing Grealish than they would McGinn, hence why he commands a higher fee.

I feel like I’m slagging McGinn when I do think he’s a good player, I just think Scotland fans overrate him quite a bit. I see him as a good Premier League player, for a team like Villa, Everton etc. Grealish has the talent to play for Pep at Man City IMO. He’s just so much more comfortable on the ball, great technique. I watched a bit of England - Czechia and some of his touches were class. 

I think we underrate McGinn a bit. When people discuss him going to Liverpool they compare him to Wijnaldum but I would imagine he is more to replace Milner. And he isn't a worse player than Milner or Henderson. He also isn't a worse player than Fred who plays loads for Man Utd.

I think he'd be fine at that level and would be used in a less attacking role than he is with Scotland as that isn't actually what hehe's good at despite Scotland fans thinking a few sclaffed goals against diddies makes him Rui Costa.

With better players around him playing as a central midfielder I think he'd flourish there, and the actual Liverpool manager thinks he's a great player so I think he would be fine but the pricetag might deter teams. That's a while he's been getting these links and to more than one big club so I expect there's a good chance it may go through and always like to see our players at top clubs.

On that note disappointed today to hear Tierney has signed a new deal with Arsenal, he is better than them and could play for Bayern or Juventus or someone like that. 

Edited by HalfCutNinja

11 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I think we underrate McGinn a bit. When people discuss him going to Liverpool they compare him to Wijnaldum but I would imagine he is more to replace Milner. And he isn't a worse player than Milner or Henderson. He also isn't a worse player than Fred who plays loads for Man Utd.

I think he'd be fine at that level and would be used in a less attacking role than he is with Scotland as that isn't actually what hehe's good at despite Scotland fans thinking a few sclaffed goals against diddies makes him Rui Costa.

With better players around him playing as a central midfielder I think he'd flourish there, and the actual Liverpool manager thinks he's a great player so I think he would be fine but the pricetag might deter teams. That's a while he's been getting these links and to more than one big club so I expect there's a good chance it may go through and always like to see our players at top clubs.

On that note disappointed today to hear Tierney has signed a new deal with Arsenal, he is better than them and could play for Bayern or Juventus or someone like that. 

Aye it might happen. I think United will sign Rice though. McGinn isn’t good enough on the ball for City. Chelsea don’t need him. Liverpool has probably the highest likelihood. I think a player like Locatelli would’ve really helped them get back to the next level but it looks like he’s going to Juve. Sabitzer is another who would be a good signing for them. I also really like Tielemans.

1 minute ago, Mr Tourette said:

People saying McGinn isn’t good enough for Liverpool need to remember that Liverpool signed Charlie Adam not so long ago

Bit of a stupid comment really given that Adam proved that he wasn’t good enough for a Liverpool team that finished 8th. If that’s what Liverpool are aiming to do then sure. I was under the impression they’d be aiming to win the league though.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Aye it might happen. I think United will sign Rice though. McGinn isn’t good enough on the ball for City. Chelsea don’t need him. Liverpool has probably the highest likelihood. I think a player like Locatelli would’ve really helped them get back to the next level but it looks like he’s going to Juve. Sabitzer is another who would be a good signing for them. I also really like Tielemans.

Bit of a stupid comment really given that Adam proved that he wasn’t good enough for a Liverpool team that finished 8th. If that’s what Liverpool are aiming to do then sure. I was under the impression they’d be aiming to win the league though.

They're all excellent options but would cost at least as much as McGinn. He'd be a pretty solid signing for them and they need to gradually evolve their midfield a bit. 

I don't think Thiago has really worked out, another year and maybe he'll move on. Wrong team and wrong league for him. Also Keita might leave, Wijnaldum gone, Milner almost finished. They do need a midfield so one or two this year maybe another one next year do it gradually while others are being eased out bring new ones in. 

Within that framework I could absolutely see McGinn being a decent signing for them. £50 million is top of the mark, but 35-40 and a player and they might get it done. He's 26, got six or seven good years in him, and would settle quickly.

Naturally Grealish, being a free role attacking midfielder, contributes more goals and assists than DM McGinn. However, on the flip side, Grealish is a non-entity defensively, whereas McGinn offers a solid attacking threat. And yes, naturally too attacking players tend to command a much greater value than defensive ones.

Apples and oranges, as SH said, but take either out of Villa's starting line up and they become a significantly weaker team.

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Naturally Grealish, being a free role attacking midfielder, contributes more goals and assists than DM McGinn. However, on the flip side, Grealish is a non-entity defensively, whereas McGinn offers a solid attacking threat. And yes, naturally too attacking players tend to command a much greater value than defensive ones.

Apples and oranges, as SH said, but take either out of Villa's starting line up and they become a significantly weaker team.

Grealish is a better player than John McGinn, I genuinely don’t think that’s up for debate.