Scots on the move

A general thread to discuss transfers and rumours involving present and future Scotland players.

Bad one to start the thread off with considering it won't happen, but still:

A summer shall not go by without a "John McGinn for £50m" rumour at the start of the transfer window. Still nice to hear that Klopp thinks he's great.

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Honestly I don’t think McGinn is good enough to start in midfield for a team like Man United, Liverpool etc. Villa is about his level IMO.

Whilst you may be right, people said the same thing about his chances of starting for Celtic when they were after him when he was at Hibs. 

2 minutes ago, EH75 said:

Whilst you may be right, people said the same thing about his chances of starting for Celtic when they were after him when he was at Hibs. 

Those people were obviously wallopers tbf. McGinn could play for a team like that in the right role, he's really matured into a quality player. 

6 minutes ago, EH75 said:

I rate McGinn, I just don’t think he’s good enough to start in midfield for a team looking to win titles and Champions Leagues etc. He’s now almost 27 so I can’t see much further improvement. Bear in mind he’s the same age as Robertson who has been at Liverpool 4 years already. At £50m Liverpool could get much better value elsewhere and a better player. He’s a massive downgrade on Wijnaldum certainly.

12 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Those people were obviously wallopers tbf. McGinn could play for a team like that in the right role, he's really matured into a quality player. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1954409/brendan-rodgers-john-mcginn-no-contest-scott-brown-hibs-celtic/amp/

Brendan rodgers thought so.. I think it would have been toughfor him to begin with.. villa was a good move for him at the time as they were in the championship 

11 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I rate McGinn, I just don’t think he’s good enough to start in midfield for a team looking to win titles and Champions Leagues etc. He’s now almost 27 so I can’t see much further improvement. Bear in mind he’s the same age as Robertson who has been at Liverpool 4 years already. At £50m Liverpool could get much better value elsewhere and a better player. He’s a massive downgrade on Wijnaldum certainly.

This is reasonable comment but I think he'd cope fine, he has quality, maturity, physique and intelligence now. In a slightly deeper role than he plays for Scotland he could play at that level, and would benefit from having better players round him.

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I don't love the Norwich loan, but he'd be near guaranteed to start.  He'd star in midfield for a team that aims to play good football but under huge pressure and up against betters teams (not dissimilar to Scotland's position).

I presume he also wants to stay in the BPL, given his on-the-record comments about how playing there has always been his dream.

Harry Kane was at Leicester at the age of 19-20, and Gilmour has already played more games for Chelsea than Kane had by the age of 21. Just a comparison to give perspective of development and timing.

7 hours ago, accies1874 said:

A general thread to discuss transfers and rumours involving present and future Scotland players.

Bad one to start the thread off with considering it won't happen, but still:

A summer shall not go by without a "John McGinn for £50m" rumour at the start of the transfer window. Still nice to hear that Klopp thinks he's great.

John McGinn is a Klopp type of player - a hyperactive bam. Klopp doesn't use his central midfield for much in the way of creativity, they're all about pressing and supporting, so McGinn would be perfect. But £45m is serious money and maybe enough to have them looking elsewhere.

The lad I'm watching to see if he's away is young Jamie Hamilton. Would like to see him get a move to a Premier league team down South.
I was certain he would be away by now but according to an ITK poster on here, there's been no movement at all.

12 hours ago, DrewDon said:

If Chelsea are going to let Gilmour go out on loan I’d much rather see him go to the Bundesliga for a season, to the likes of a Dortmund, Leipzig or someone of that ilk where he’s likely to get loads of game time in a league where his development is more likely to be enhanced. 

That’s not to say he wouldn’t be first choice or come on leaps and bounds at the likes of Norwich but I always feel domestic loans are a bit hit or miss and far more likely to be subject to limitations and influences from the parent club.

Edited by 8MileBU

12 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

If Chelsea are going to let Gilmour go out on loan I’d much rather see him go to the Bundesliga for a season, to the likes of a Dortmund, Leipzig or someone of that ilk where he’s likely to get loads of game time in a league where his development is more likely to be enhanced. 

That’s not to say he wouldn’t be first choice or come on leaps and bounds at the likes of Norwich but I always feel domestic loans are a bit hit or miss and far more likely to be subject to limitations and influences from the parent club.

They seem to have concerns over him being able to handle the physical side of the PL, so I think they probably want him to play in the BPL so they can see if he can cut it. I think Norwich are the main draw because Danial Farke is there and because they try and play decent football. 

I agree with you though, I’d rather see him go overseas, somewhere where he can play a lot of games and he can improve.

Edited by Jambomo

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

They seem to have concerns over him being able to handle the physical side of the PL, so I think they probably want him to play in the BPL so they can see if he can cut it. I think Norwich are the main draw because Danial Farke is there and because they try and play decent football. 

I agree with you though, I’d rather see him go overseas, somewhere where he can play a lot of games and he can improve.

What’s the BPL?

The fucking physical side…🤦🏻‍♂️  I hate when that backwards pish gets peddled out with regards to top talent. He’s also stood out like a sore thumb anytime he’s played so far.

The sheer ability top players have see them get around “the physical side” without much trouble which I feel Gilmour certainly can do. Otherwise if the club are that concerned then they set up with a spoiler or a horrible b*****d alongside him.

10 hours ago, Scumjob said:

The lad I'm watching to see if he's away is young Jamie Hamilton. Would like to see him get a move to a Premier league team down South.

I’ve only seen him on Sportscene. How many times has he been sent off? It seemed like every time I noticed him he was getting sent off. Is he Accies version of Porteous at Hibs?

9 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

This is reasonable comment but I think he'd cope fine, he has quality, maturity, physique and intelligence now. In a slightly deeper role than he plays for Scotland he could play at that level, and would benefit from having better players round him.

I think it’s too much money when  you  could buy a comparable player from Europe. Liverpool were playing with a midfield three of Thiago, Fabinho & Winaljdum at the end of last season. I don’t see John McGinn as an upgrade on that and you’d imagine that’s what Liverpool would be looking to do. I don’t see them spending £50m on an option off the bench. Hope he goes and thrives and proves me wrong.