Why cant we produce top class forwards?

Glennie

The fashion of 1 striker and wide forwards has ruined strikers. 

I always prefer to see teams playing with 2 strikers. 

Sutton and Larsson, McCoist and Hately, Dalglish and Rush, Hughes and Cantona, you just don’t see it a lot now.

Was Luxembourg the first game Dykes and Adams were paired?

I ask because we were ridiculously profligate in that game, but it was nervously laughed off as "oh, we're just saving the sharp shooting for the tournament". Yet in all 3 tournament games that pairing basically misfired just as badly.

My point is it might just be the pairing that isn't right, possibly not reading each other's game well enough to take up the right positions and be ready for layoffs, knock downs the break of the ball etc.

Before that Luxembourg game we had just drawn 2 each with Holland (with Dykes and Christie up front), and it didn't feel like goals were going to be such a rarity.

Rather than trying to pull a Lewandowski from nowhere, it might just need a tweak of personnel and possibly system.

They were already havering shite about Scotland "needing to follow the Iceland model" to produce better players.
We have enough more than adequate players to do better than we did at this tournament, IMO. It's not like we were fielding 11 carthorses and hoping for the best. Wales have two top drawer players and a shower of very average randoms and they've made it through (the b*****ds!)

Think we just need to fine tune the system around one of the strikers and go with that. Our inspiration should be Northern Ireland turning David Healy into a ruthless goal machine when in a green shirt whilst he remained a bang average championship striker out of it.

Dykes still has a place as long as there are goals in the midfield but his finishing is a worry.

Adams probably has to play as whilst he's not a natural 1 in 2 scorer, he's a step above Dykes or anyone else so Dykes is only playing if we go with a two.

Would nae balk at Nisbet and Adams getting a go. As soon as we have Dykes in we seem to revert to just knocking it up to him and he's not a dominant enough target man at this level to play like that. I do like the look of Nisbet.

Frankly though post Euros we need to start from scratch in midfield, Gilmour is a stick on now but is McTominay playing in midfield or at the back? Does Jack come in and play beside Gilmour? What's McGinn's job in there?

3 at the back and the resurgence of Grant Hanley seem to have made us reasonably solid (by our standards) so Clarke needs to get the system working up top now.

Just now, Scumjob said:

We'd fucking love a striker called 'the jukebox' now.

Exactly, he was frustrating particularly in that game against Germany at Ibrox where he claimed he was seeing double after a head knock, but look at his record that's a top player. We would love a player like that now, Chelsea, Spurs, Rangers got a game and scored goals. We don't have strikers like that now.

17 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Durie was class, how many strikers nowadays do we have that would get a game for Spurs and Chelsea?  Durie did.

Chelsea were relegation candidates at time ffs

15 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Chelsea in particular were utter pish back then. Their front line was the likes of Paul Furlong and Mark Stein. 

They finished 5th when he was there, then he got a move to Spurs when they had Sheringham and Lineker etc, where he got a game and scored goals.

As mentioned tactical changes have restricted opportunities for strikers to come through but plenty of teams still play 2 up front and my own team, Motherwell, just brought in another two forwards from low level English football.

If you ask me managers are just risk averse and don't want to play inexperienced young players in important positions.

Look at the Scottish Premiership.  Very few Scottish goalkeepers and strikers.  It's because we bring in experienced players at the expense of bringing through our own.

32 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

Think we just need to fine tune the system around one of the strikers and go with that. Our inspiration should be Northern Ireland turning David Healy into a ruthless goal machine when in a green shirt whilst he remained a bang average championship striker out of it.

Dykes still has a place as long as there are goals in the midfield but his finishing is a worry.

Adams probably has to play as whilst he's not a natural 1 in 2 scorer, he's a step above Dykes or anyone else so Dykes is only playing if we go with a two.

Would nae balk at Nisbet and Adams getting a go. As soon as we have Dykes in we seem to revert to just knocking it up to him and he's not a dominant enough target man at this level to play like that. I do like the look of Nisbet.

Frankly though post Euros we need to start from scratch in midfield, Gilmour is a stick on now but is McTominay playing in midfield or at the back? Does Jack come in and play beside Gilmour? What's McGinn's job in there?

3 at the back and the resurgence of Grant Hanley seem to have made us reasonably solid (by our standards) so Clarke needs to get the system working up top now.

Three at the back has not been convincing in our two losses this competition ( I agree with Willie Miller on Sportsound ! )

I am not convinced with McTominay in the back three but a.t.m. Ryan Jack needs to be a necessity in midfield , Gilmour obviously  and maybe John McGinn ( so no room for McTominay in midfield ! )

38 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Durie was class, how many strikers nowadays do we have that would get a game for Spurs and Chelsea?  Durie did.

He was in the national team for his pace and power. Not that well known for skilful play !

4 hours ago, Glennie said:

Point is we havent produced anyone comparable even to Durie since, its been a downwards plummet since the 80s, thirty fucking years without a new forward of much note

Kenny Miller