Why cant we produce top class forwards?

Glennie

1 minute ago, ewan14 said:

Kenny Miller

Away you go Kenny fucking Miller. He was horse. Durie was bought by Chelsea for big money then Spurs for what was huge money at the time.

Miller spent about two seasons total in the EPL and scored 3 goals. Durie was miles and miles better.

13 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Three at the back has not been convincing in our two losses this competition ( I agree with Willie Miller on Sportsound ! )

I am not convinced with McTominay in the back three but a.t.m. Ryan Jack needs to be a necessity in midfield , Gilmour obviously  and maybe John McGinn ( so no room for McTominay in midfield ! )

Jack ahead of McTominay? aye ok 

Gilmour  thankfully does away with the need for jack

20 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Away you go Kenny fucking Miller. He was horse. Durie was bought by Chelsea for big money then Spurs for what was huge money at the time.

Miller spent about two seasons total in the EPL and scored 3 goals. Durie was miles and miles better.

You're fooling nobody, I know you're really Kenny Miller

6 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think Adams is remotely below our standards, he just isn’t a goal scoring striker. At the same time though, I can’t really think of many chances that he has had. If he is able to improve this then he will be a fantastic all round striker. Easier said than done though. 

I was quoting others - I think he's a great player, and will still improve.

He missed a few against Luxembourg, had a massive missed opportunity against Croatia, and should have done better with at least two, perhaps three against England.

I'd like to see him play in a more supportive formation (let's please bin 5atb?!) with a quality number 10 next to him - on form Christie, fully fit Ryan Fraser, Turnbull when given a chance?

4 hours ago, Thorongil said:

The fashion of 1 striker and wide forwards has ruined strikers. 

I always prefer to see teams playing with 2 strikers. 

Sutton and Larsson, McCoist and Hately, Dalglish and Rush, Hughes and Cantona, you just don’t see it a lot now.

How the f**k can you leave Falconer and Caniggia off that list?😡

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

To anyone suggesting we move to a back 4, how are you fitting Tierney and Robertson in?

Tierney could play central midfield in a 4-5-1 e.g. McTominay, Gilmour, Tierney plus McGinn and Fraser further forward. 

1 hour ago, woof! said:

Tierney could play central midfield in a 4-5-1 e.g. McTominay, Gilmour, Tierney plus McGinn and Fraser further forward. 

Given how our back 3 actually works, is that really any different to what we have now? The LCB (Tierney) and the RCB (McTominay/Hendry) take turns to push forward into midfield and leave the other one back with Hanley or whoever is the middle CB, effectively creating a traditional 4-5-1/4-4-2

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

When did England last produce a world class goalkeeper?

Things like this seem to be cyclical. The cycles just take longer the smaller the nation is, and even longer if you don't have the right development processes in place.

For all you know Aaron Pressley is about to have a breakthrough season at Brentford. Or Kyle Joseph at Swansea.

Scotland’s cycle must be somewhere around 40-100 years. Personally, I think the cyclic thing  is a lazy argument. Why do other small nations have much shorter cycles? Is Scotland’s cycle broken?

If I was taking a punt at why we’re now worse at football than we were in the 70s/80s, i’d say there are less kids playing football for fun. When you play with your pals there is no coaching and you just try stuff out. It’s where you develop a love of football.

47 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Why do other small nations have much shorter cycles? Is Scotland’s cycle broken?

Are they?

Other "small nations" have been lucky their world class players are attackers.

Us and Wales both had top quality players at Man U in the 00's, and not much else. They had Giggs while we had Fletcher.

Just now Wales have 2 World class players, as do Scotland. Wales have Ramsey and Bale, we have two left backs.

I don't ROI/NI/Wales have produced more quality players than us in the last 30 years, its just they've had attacking players at that level and we've not. I'm not convinced that's far away from changing.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are they?

Other "small nations" have been lucky their world class players are attackers.

Us and Wales both had top quality players at Man U in the 00's, and not much else. They had Giggs while we had Fletcher.

Just now Wales have 2 World class players, as do Scotland. Wales have Ramsey and Bale, we have two left backs.

I don't ROI/NI/Wales have produced more quality players than us in the last 30 years, its just they've had attacking players at that level and we've not. I'm not convinced that's far away from changing.

Croatia had top quality in 1998 and got to a WC semi-final, losing to eventual champions France. Then 20 years later they are going at it with France again in the World Cup Final. 

That’s cherry-picking. I suppose I could say Bulgaria who had quality in the ‘90s and who haven’t seen that happen since.

Given our performance at tournaments you could say we’ve not had our first golden generation yet. Hope these PlayStation boys/girls/prefer not to says pull through for us. Even Wales and ROI have occasionally made it to a decent level at a tournament. Kirin Cup aside we’ve done nothing.

Edited by Scary Bear

57 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Too much PlayStation IMO

Aye right, everyone knows that PlayStations don't sell in Wales, Denmark, Norway or Ireland or anywhere else with similar populations but far better recent records. It's poor governance of the game from grass roots to the top boardroom level, and the whole thing needs a ton of investment and a clear purpose to put right.

That said, we have the best crop of players for ages, and there's no reason why we can't set our sights higher. 

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

To anyone suggesting we move to a back 4, how are you fitting Tierney and Robertson in?

It's no doubt sacrilege to suggest it but, if we want to play a system that doesn't have room for that, do we just pick one to play LB and get on with it?

While recognising that both are amongst our best players, are either so good that we have to shoehorn them in no matter what if i) the team is more effective in a formation that means one of them has to be left out, ii) keeping them both in causes some chain reaction of 'square pegs in round holes'?

In general, the manager seems too wedded to playing the same formation all the time even when it means asking players to do things they are just not going to do as well (and when there might be better players at the task sitting on the bench in some cases). Not talking about Tierney and Robertson here, really, but a few players the other night in midfield especially seemed well out their comfort zone and not just because of the level they were playing at.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

If I was taking a punt at why we’re now worse at football than we were in the 70s/80s, i’d say there are less kids playing football for fun. When you play with your pals there is no coaching and you just try stuff out. It’s where you develop a love of football.

I wondered how long it would take to bemoan the loss of tanner bas