Time to go Steve Clarke

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I doubt Scotland would have lost a group stage match to Croatia.

So does this result make us better than Canada? So on that basis should Clarke be kept for being better than Canada or sacked because we couldn’t be Croatia that were apparently full of OAPS? Tricky.

9 hours ago, Jambomo said:

So does this result make us better than Canada? So on that basis should Clarke be kept for being better than Canada or sacked because we couldn’t be Croatia that were apparently full of OAPS? Tricky.

The original point some people have their knickers in a twist about was made by someone on twitter the screenshot was then posted on here.

What I take from it is. Its apparently unreasonable to compare Clarkes Scotland team to other teams in a negative sense, but perfectly reasonable to do so in a positive sense. Doesnt make much sense to me, but that seems to be then consensus.

And the repeated phrase that clarke should be sacked due to results of other teams has not been said by anyone, other than people claiming it was said.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

On 24/11/2022 at 10:48, No_Problemo said:

Which anti Clarke poster runs the Scots Abroad account then… 👀

F6A1D9B4-6997-4401-8654-055361E0E117.png

I think it just shows how fickle people are and how much crap is on twitter for me.

One good result from Saudi Arabia and Japan combined with a good performance from Canada and people are getting a little carried away. Canada are now out of the tournament and we will see if Japan and/or Saudi Arabia make it to the last 16. 

16 minutes ago, Loominous said:

I think it just shows how fickle people are and how much crap is on twitter for me.

One good result from Saudi Arabia and Japan combined with a good performance from Canada and people are getting a little carried away. Canada are now out of the tournament and we will see if Japan and/or Saudi Arabia make it to the last 16. 

I dont think the results of Canada or saudi Arabia will prove anything one way or the other. Although Saudi Arabia have already picked up 3 points, so its a good campaign for both of them.

Thats twitter post hasn't even asked if Clarke should be sacked, so im not sure why it bothers you so much. Clarke like every manager in the entire world will be subject to criticism and analysis. If you disagree with that criticism fine, but people have every right to do so. And the Scotland threads would be the ideal place for such discussions.

Best solution might be to stop reading twitter and these pages.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I dont think the results of Canada or saudi Arabia will prove anything one way or the other. Although Saudi Arabia have already picked up 3 points, so its a good campaign for both of them.

Thats twitter post hasn't even asked if Clarke should be sacked, so im not sure why it bothers you so much. Clarke like every manager in the entire world will be subject to criticism and analysis. If you disagree with that criticism fine, but people have every right to do so. And the Scotland threads would be the ideal place for such discussions.

Best solution might be to stop reading twitter and these pages.

The picture and narrative always changes after each result and so it therefore doesn't make much sense to me to form a view regarding team performance prior to the conclusion of the group. That's the point I'm making regarding the twitter post - I never said anything about Steve Clarke to be fair so have no idea why you're involving me in that conversation. 🤔

A good example is the England fans going mental after beating Iran before their meltdown after the draw with the USA - It's the same thing. It's just fickle in my view - You can't really draw many conclusions based on a single game. 

Edited by Loominous

22 minutes ago, Loominous said:

The picture and narrative always changes after each result and so it therefore doesn't make much sense to me to form a view regarding team performance prior to the conclusion of the group. That's the point I'm making regarding the twitter post - I never said anything about Steve Clarke to be fair so have no idea why you're involving me in that conversation. 🤔

A good example is the England fans going mental after beating Iran before their meltdown after the draw with the USA - It's the same thing. It's just fickle in my view - You can't really draw many conclusions based on a single game. 

Football fans being happy after a win and good performance, and disappointed after a draw and a bad performance. Your right its absolutely shocking!

14 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

The original point some people have their knickers in a twist about was made by someone on twitter the screenshot was then posted on here.

What I take from it is. Its apparently unreasonable to compare Clarkes Scotland team to other teams in a negative sense, but perfectly reasonable to do so in a positive sense. Doesnt make much sense to me, but that seems to be then consensus.

And the repeated phrase that clarke should be sacked due to results of other teams has not been said by anyone, other than people claiming it was said.

I know, I only posted as a joke, as I suspect the others we s were.

To me it doesn't make any sense to compare our performances either positively or negatively with other teams. We aren’t the same as them, there are too many variables that make all the games different, to me they just aren’t comparable.

What matters is whether we can look at our performances and results over time and be happy that we are in a positive position. I think that we can currently say we are. 

Article in the Daily Telegraph from last week which discusses a few interesting subjects, behind a paywall so I thought I'd post it for those who don't have access.

On the Qatar World Cup…

No, I wish it was me. I’ll watch it but there will obviously be detached disappointment that we’re not there. We were all desperate to be at the World Cup. The players and the whole country wanted to be involved in a major tournament because it had been a long time before we got to Euro 2020. 

We enjoyed the experience, though it was too short. We wanted to do it again so I can understand if players don’t watch it. Maybe I’m speaking out of turn but I’d be very surprised if John doesn’t watch a couple of the games.

Steve Clarke

On England…

If you look at the work that Gareth, his staff and his players have done - semi-finalists in Russia and the final of Euro 2020 - it’s a very good standard if you consider what happened before. You have to be careful in football now, a lot of people have got a very short-term opinion. They have done a really good job. They didn’t have a good Nations League campaign but I can sympathise with him on that one because I know the issues and problems we had preparing for the games in June. When you look at their recent tournament experience I would expect England to do well.    

Steve Clarke

On the Scotland National Team...

We’ve re-engaged with the Scottish public. They believe in their team and enjoy watching them. Other countries may have moved ahead of us, but they want to see us consistently compete and we’ve managed to do that. We’ve got a lot of talented footballers but also decent people who want to be successful. They want to come and represent their country, and that is absolutely crucial. It shouldn’t be a chore, they want to be together. When I came in, I don’t think they always enjoyed coming away.

I know Billy is young enough and good enough to come through it. He probably feels the same, and given a fair chance at Brighton I’m pretty sure he will get more than enough minutes to keep him involved in the national team.

It took me 12 months to get my head round what I was doing and the best way to work with the players we had. I’ve adapted well because the gaps between the camps was hard. Between naming your squad and playing the games is 14 days of super- intense scrutiny and pressure. There’s real stress, five times a year for two weeks, but I’m really enjoying it.

Steve Clarke

On his future as Scotland Manager...

I think I’m more than ready to do another job. I’m probably as well prepared as I’ve ever been to take on club management. I don’t want to close the door on my international career at the moment because I do want to qualify for another major tournament. I’m desperate to help this group of players do it again, and hopefully that will be Germany 2024.

After that, my contract situation can change at Scotland. If anybody is saying to me ‘would I fancy taking another club job’ then yes, why not. I’m not using this as an advert that I’m up for sale, you just never know what is going to happen so I can’t close the door on anything. My only thoughts at the moment are qualifying for Euro 2024.

Steve Clarke

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2022/11/22/steve-clarke-exclusive-how-scotland-feel-watching-world-cup/

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Article in the Daily Telegraph from last week which discusses a few interesting subjects, behind a paywall so I thought I'd post it for those who don't have access.

On the Qatar World Cup…

On England…

On the Scotland National Team...

On his future as Scotland Manager...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2022/11/22/steve-clarke-exclusive-how-scotland-feel-watching-world-cup/

Thanks for that, really interesting. Though the last bit has me worried, I wouldn't want him to leave but he has been with us a while now, that and I hate change. 

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Thanks for that, really interesting. Though the last bit has me worried, I wouldn't want him to leave but he has been with us a while now, that and I hate change. 

If he left now, the SFA could make an approach for Mick Beale, and I think that might break Glasgow.

On 27/11/2022 at 17:33, BingMcCrosby said:

Great result for Costa rica today, their manager has them playing greater than the sum of their parts.

You definitely didn't see that game  :lol:

Is this thread a herding pen for moonhowlers?

Why is Clarke getting stick because Canada, Saudi Arabia and Japan have chucked in a couple of decent but ultimately fruitless performances? 

• Canada playing out of their skins only to lose in heartbreaking fashion to (in theory) one of the best teams there is the most Scottish thing ever
  • Japan beating the Germans only to shite it against Costa Rica is .... see above
  • Saudi Arabia producing a stunning win against a good side only to then falter against 10 Polish jobbers plus Lewandowski .... and so on

Replacing Clarke with the Saudi manager 😂

Michael Beale 😂

He’s choking for a club job in middle England. No wonder, it pays more.
We are safe though. None of those teams fancy him.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

He’s choking for a club job in middle England. No wonder, it pays more.
We are safe though. None of those teams fancy him.

Birmingham City were desperate enough to appoint Alex McLeish after ten games.

Never underestimate a board of directors' propensity to clutch at straws.

7 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Is this thread a herding pen for moonhowlers?

Why is Clarke getting stick because Canada, Saudi Arabia and Japan have chucked in a couple of decent but ultimately fruitless performances? 

• Canada playing out of their skins only to lose in heartbreaking fashion to (in theory) one of the best teams there is the most Scottish thing ever
  • Japan beating the Germans only to shite it against Costa Rica is .... see above
  • Saudi Arabia producing a stunning win against a good side only to then falter against 10 Polish jobbers plus Lewandowski .... and so on

Replacing Clarke with the Saudi manager 😂

Michael Beale 😂

Hes not in any way shape or form from any poster getting any stick regarding this. People are so desperate to stick up for Clarke they seem to be imagining things.

Edited by BingMcCrosby