Time to go Steve Clarke

On 02/06/2022 at 23:45, BingMcCrosby said:

Squad harmony has been brought up a few times, we don't know if there's squad harmony.

On 03/06/2022 at 06:20, KingRocketman II said:

yeah squad harmony is such a throw away cliche. there is squad harmony until the dressing room is "lost" - there is never anything in between. Under Mcleish Mark II there were still players coming out saying the whole squad was behind him and want to play for him. I think you take anything about squad unity with a pinch of salt. 

One of the main things I took away from the game was that there is a strong harmony or togetherness within the team and backing for the manager from the players. Steve Clarke essentially pointed to the players performance levels on Wednesday night when he said Ukraine were better on the night. The players accepted that and responded in a positive fashion.

I think at times it can get over-egged but I think the team has a good squad togetherness and you can tell that from their actions.

Mental that people are genuinely questioning if Clarke should be punted or not.

I think he is far from perfect and has lots of things he needs to sort, e.g.

• McGinn's positioning and the midfield balance in general
  • his obsession with the Adams-Dykes partnership that doesnt work
  • shoehorning McTominay into the back three when we have better options there
  • his general pish and late use of substitutions.

But surely to f**k everyone can see we are a better team now than when he took over.

If we punted him, I'd be terrified of who the SFA would get to replace him considering one of the last managerial appointments they made was an ill-looking Alex McLeish who has been quickly punted from every job he held for the previous decade.

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

But surely to f**k everyone can see we are a better team now than when he took over.

If we punted him, I'd be terrified of who the SFA would get to replace him considering one of the last managerial appointments they made was an ill-looking Alex McLeish who has been quickly punted from every job he held for the previous decade.

I actually find the late use of subs criticism to be a bit strange as well tbh. Clarke certainly better than his predecessors at making early subs, he brought Christie on at half-time v Ukraine for example. 

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I actually find the late use of subs criticism to be a bit strange as well tbh. Clarke certainly better than his predecessors at making early subs, he brought Christie on at half-time v Ukraine for example. 

I just think there have been lots of games we get to the 65-70 min mark and need a bit of freshness, particularly in midfield, but he waits until 75min+ before changing it up.

We were also 1-2 against Ukraine with one striker on the park and two strikers on the bench, yet he didnt bring either on.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure he has ever positively impacted the game with his use of substitutions. 

9 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I just think there have been lots of games we get to the 65-70 min mark and need a bit of freshness, particularly in midfield, but he waits until 75min+ before changing it up.

We were also 1-2 against Ukraine with one striker on the park and two strikers on the bench, yet he didnt bring either on.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure he has ever positively impacted the game with his use of substitutions. 

Nathan Patterson vs the Faroes comes to mind.

40 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I actually find the late use of subs criticism to be a bit strange as well tbh. 

Fans don't have access to the decision making process so they just assume the manager 'husnae a clue'. It's past 60 minutes, get the subs on. 👀 I was reading through the Armenian perspective on last nights game and surprise surprise their fans were moaning about 1. Tactics and 2. Use of subs lol

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

I think the point that has been made repeatedly by many posters is that the players we have now is better than any recent scotland teams.

So yes results have improved generally which is obvious, but no some people don't think were performing good enough in certain crunch games.

Also the fact you disagree i don't find it "mental"

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I think the point that has been made repeatedly by many posters is that the players we have now is better than any recent scotland teams.

So yes results have improved generally which is obvious, but no some people don't think were performing good enough in certain crunch games.

Also the fact you disagree i don't find it "mental"

Should we be performing better at certain times? Absolutely. 

But there is a huge difference between thinking there is significant room for improvement and wanting the guy sacked.

Anyone wanting him sacked is either mental or at it, in my opinion.

Just now, Jacky1990 said:

But there is a huge difference between thinking there is significant room for improvement and wanting the guy sacked.

Not really, that difference is just a difference of opinion. I think the balance is quite split on wanting Clarke to stay or go. So in your opinion there must be lots of "mental" people around, hopefully the facilities are big enough for all of us.

Regarding calling people mentaI. In 2022 its not acceptable. Theres a greater understanding and acceptance of real mental health issues and the casual use of "mental" as a thow away insult isn't nice. It shows a lack of understanding, compassion and of sophistication.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

I find it odd that you haven't even commented on the Scotland team performance and result in our last game. Do you only speak when we lose? The players accepted responsibility for the result against Ukraine and responded with an appropriate performance yesterday. @BingMcCrosby

Edited by 2426255

4 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

but that's the issue - there is not a huge difference. After the huge disappointment of the Ukraine game, it was not so much the result but the abject performance. We shouldn't be turning in performances like that a) at this time of the manager's tenure b) with the players at his disposal and depth of squad and c) for a hugely anticipated crunch game at home. We can't just dismiss it as a one-off or a bad day at the office every time it happens. 

Therefore given there is significant room for improvement considered against factors a) to c) then its perfectly logical connection to question the manager and his position. It is also healthy or it's a return to the perception of Scotland supporters as simply happy clappers. 

For what it is worth, Clarke has done enough for me to stay on but questions remain. 

12 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

We shouldn't be turning in performances like that a) at this time of the manager's tenure b) with the players at his disposal and depth of squad and c) for a hugely anticipated crunch game at home. We can't just dismiss it as a one-off or a bad day at the office every time it happens. 

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The players accepted responsibility for the result against Ukraine and responded with an appropriate performance yesterday. @KingRocketman II

As far as I'm concerned we just have to move on now. What value is there in holding onto it? 

Edited by 2426255

14 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I think the balance is quite split on wanting Clarke to stay or go.

Stop yer whining you wee shit stirrer. I was downvoting a specific part of your post. 👊