Time to go Steve Clarke

3 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I literally said I didn’t want him to be sacked you simpleton.

i never said you did , im replying to your post of complete doom and gloom. maybe we should just chuck it and not play as we cant win?. what  happened against israel in the last games mean f**k all, now we have players like gilmour,turnbull and patterson coming through its a chance for us to be more positive in our approach and not play so reserved against teams like israel. if clarke doesnt become more positive after this then he'll see himself out the door but those results before the Euros don't mean much in how we approach games going forward.

friday night is now the bench mark not what happened against israel.

Edited by DanMc99

5 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

also we have already played austria and quite clearly they are nothing to fear, they have the benefit of an easy group which makes them look better.

We scraped a draw with them late on at home, you’re expecting us to go away to Vienna and beat them? I don’t think they’re a great side, but they’re a better team than us currently. People said the same ‘nothing to fear’ regarding Czech Republic and Croatia and they both saw us away at home. 

Just now, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

We scraped a draw with them late on at home, you’re expecting us to go away to Vienna and beat them? I don’t think they’re a great side, but they’re a better team than us currently. People said the same ‘nothing to fear’ regarding Czech Republic and Croatia and they both saw us away at home. 

I never said expecting.

The manager, players , staff and even fans were learning tournament football again.

We are quick to put ourselves down when we didn't qualify and when we finally do we folk are losing the plot.

We had some amazing chances in every single game. Goals change games. Its not as if we rolled over and got our bellies tickled in the 3 games.

Clarke deserves a shot to get us to the World Cup. The players to a man love playing for him. It's obvious to see.

Also, sack him and bring in who? There are certainly no obvious Scottish candidates.

Just now, craigkillie said:

On the whole I thought it was a disappointing and frustrating tournament for us, but for the most part we looked like a team who were certainly not out of our depth at this level, just suffered from some bad decision making, a wee bit of bad luck and a general lack of cutting edge. The absence of Ryan Jack was a massive blow - it left us having to try to totally reshape our midfield, and it didn't work in the first game, then we found something that seemed to work against England only to then lose Gilmour for the last game.

I couldn't disagree more with the post above about other teams being more confident on the ball - the one thing I'd say we've improved massively on under Clarke is our bravery in possession, playing out of tight areas and so on. We were outclassed in that department by Croatia last night, but they have a midfielder who was literally named the best player in the world a couple of years ago. One thing that was noticeable was that the Czechs and Croatia both successfully limited us from getting the ball into the midfield, which forced the defenders to go long at times - that's something we'll need to work on.

I refuse to believe anyone who has sat and watched this team for the last four years has not seen the very obvious progress under Clarke. There are still issues, such as those above, the lack of a good finisher and a bit of a lack of creativity against teams who are roughly at the same level as us, but he has successfully lowered the age profile of the squad substantially, integrated some excellent younger players, and has instilled belief back in the squad and the support. It's almost a completely different squad from Strachan's time in charge - Tierney and Robertson are the only players who started last night from Strachan's last game in charge just under four years ago.

The World Cup qualifiers are the big test for him now. I think we've made a decent but not brilliant start to those, and we still have everything up for grabs in that respect. Denmark are better than us but not so much better than us that we can't beat them, and we've seen nothing from Austria to suggest they can't be beaten. We need to be competitive in that right up until the end - if it fizzles out, which I really don't expect, then that would be the time to ask about his future. However, I have complete confidence we're going to at least get close to qualifying for the World Cup, and then I see absolutely no reason why we won't be at the next Euros.

It's not surprising that folk are lashing out with reactionary nonsense after a raw and difficult defeat last night, but I do think quite a few people have completely lost the run of themselves over the last few months, if they ever had it in the first place.

So anyone who disagrees with your opinion has "lost the run of themselves, if they ever had it in the first place"

Calling into question peoples mental health because they disagree about football is pretty dire.

We should be able to disagree without shit like that. Being thrown.

Weve played some good games under Clarke, but fail to win many games. Were harder to beat, but we don't dominate unless we're playing absolute minnows.

We had 2 home games in a major championship group. It will never get no easier than that. Ever.

He sat and watched the game disappear and did nothing until the game was dead and buried. Mcleish would have been slaughtered if it was still his team.

I dont think progress has been made at all since the end of Strachan reign. Strachan never got two attempts at qualifying for a tournament like Clarke did.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

So anyone who disagrees with your opinion has "lost the run of themselves, if they ever had it in the first place"

Calling into question peoples mental health because they disagree about football is pretty dire.

Weve played some good games under Clarke, but fail to win many games. Were harder to beat, but we don't dominate unless we're playing absolute minnows.

We had 2 home games in a major championship group. It will never get no easier than that. Ever.

He sat and watched the game disappear and did nothing until the game was dead and buried. Mcleish would have been slaughtered if it was still his team.

I dont think progress has been made at all since the end of Strachan reign. Strachan never got to attempts and qualifying for a tournament like Clarke did.

it actually could get easier than that.

you have world cups groups with panama and tunisia in it.

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

Its never been easier

we were at home against decent teams though.

But as i said , soem World cups group are extremely poor and low standard. a lot worse than we see in euros.

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Absolutely nothing to do with mental health as you well know.

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I dont think progress has been made at all since the end of Strachan reign. Strachan never got two attempts at qualifying for a tournament like Clarke did.

No, he got three.

10 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Right so we both agree we are highly unlikely to qualify for the next World Cup then. Sound.

13 teams qualify for the WC from UEFA.  On what planet would we be *likely* to qualify for the WC with those odds?  That's quite literally your EC last 16, with three removed.

For as brilliant as Wales have been in the last few years, they haven't been able to qualify for the WC.

A WC qualification for Scotland, at this stage, would probably be the biggest achievement in our history.  

There's no harm in being ambitious, but let's not be expectant? 

Personally would give him the rest of the World Cup Qualifying campaign and if by the end of that we've not qualified and we're still playing dire football then bye bye Sir Steve for me.

1 minute ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Probably just frustrated because I have no idea what fucking point you’re trying to make 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

my point was quite simple, i was replying to your initial post about how we cannot beat anyone but if we go forward with gilmour in midfield which gives the blend of composure and balance to the midfield we wont be struggling against israel etc.

your post made it out because we drew with them recently we may as well chuck it.

I think it's pretty clear that there's absolutely zero chance he'll get punted given that they already extended his contract before a ball was kicked.  Had we got pumped 8-0 in all three games, maybe the tide would turn, but the performance was nowhere near bad enough for that.  

Personally I think the extension was a stupid move.  I wouldn't have him out now, but if we completely shit the bed on World Cup Qualifying, then I think a discussion needs to be had.  But with the extension, that won't happen.  Basically I'm keen not to get into the weird situation we had with Strachan, where there was at least one point (possibly two) where he perhaps should have been punted, then he ended up going on what was probably a higher point.  God forbid we're proactive.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Absolutely nothing to do with mental health as you well know.

No, he got three.

Can you explain what you mean then, than people who disagree with you "have lost the run of themselves, if they ever had it in the first place"? If its not a slight on mental heath then what is it? 

Your saying people have lost control of their mind, if they ever had control of their mind. 

Its piss poor patter.

Strachan never had 2 attempts for the same tournament, One of them set up by a previous manager.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

He'll be given WC 2022 and Euro 2024 qualifying if he's still here. Former looks a tall order though with 4pts dropped home v Austria and in Israel.

His challenge is turning "hard to beat" into "win v quality".