Time to go Steve Clarke

On 12/01/2023 at 14:44, lubo_blaha said:

Has Tierney ever played in midfield?

I think he did at youth level. I’d play him on the inside left midfield and have Robertson overlap him. Tierney could also get forward as required. I’m sure he’d be better in midfield than at RB or centre back.

7 hours ago, woof! said:

I think he did at youth level. I’d play him on the inside left midfield and have Robertson overlap him. Tierney could also get forward as required. I’m sure he’d be better in midfield than at RB or centre back.

I’d be very surprised if he was better in midfield than at left centre back in a three. Maybe worth a shot, although we’ve got a few good natural midfielders and I’m not sure I’d play Tierney there ahead of any of them.

We’ve been at our best under Clarke with Tierney at LCB and Robertson LWB.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/02/2023 at 22:35, lubo_blaha said:

I’d be very surprised if he was better in midfield than at left centre back in a three. Maybe worth a shot, although we’ve got a few good natural midfielders and I’m not sure I’d play Tierney there ahead of any of them.

We’ve been at our best under Clarke with Tierney at LCB and Robertson LWB.

We’ve been okay when both are on the pitch with a 3-5-2 but poor when Tierney unavailable. We’ve generally been good with 4 at the back without Tierney. 

20 hours ago, woof! said:

We’ve been okay when both are on the pitch with a 3-5-2 but poor when Tierney unavailable. We’ve generally been good with 4 at the back without Tierney. 

Steve Clarke has had 18 games where Kieran Tierney didn't play. 9 of them we played 3atb and 9 of them we played 4atb. Results have been marginally better with 3atb but there isn't much in it. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Staggie_93 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65065415

Signed a new contract until 2026. Timing seems a bit bizarre.

I think it’s motivational for Clarke and the squad.  A sort of “we’ve got your backs for this whole campaign” vote of confidence.  It removes the threat of getting chucked in the sea.

22 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65065415

Signed a new contract until 2026. Timing seems a bit bizarre.

Seems to be the SFA's thing.

It's less odd than last time his contract was extended TBH, when we really weren't on a very good run. Some folk still think we should be doing better, but surely nobody still thinks were doing badly under him.

On 09/06/2022 at 14:48, Jacky1990 said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure he has ever positively impacted the game with his use of substitutions. 

Of late, Clarke's use of substitutions have had a clear positive effect. Lyndon Dykes and Ryan Fraser came on to great effect in our victory over Ukraine last September and again today Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Christie and Scott McTominay all had a positive impact on the outcome of the game when they came on.

On 23/06/2021 at 09:08, BingMcCrosby said:

Overall performances and results have been poor.

We managed to get to this tournament by an excellent draw with serbia. A game we should have won in the 90mins. That along with the England game is our only good performances under Clarke.

Hes produced some good performances when our backs to the wall. But thats it. He's unable to win games at home, we always look like the away team.

He got us to a tournament for the first time in 23 years, but we were not good. 2 home games and 0 points, its unforgivable.

Hes already made a terrible start to the next qualifying. Its time we parted ways, hes never going to be a good manager for us.

Last night as Souness says was dark ages stuff. Also the wrong team and tactics. 

But the worst thing of all was the reluctance to change things. We were on top in spells for the first half. Croatia started to control the game and we left the players out there to rot. Rather than freshen things up and get back at them. 

The changes were to litte to late and now were out. Arguably the worst team in the tournament.

Yes turkey and North Macedonia lost all 3 games, but neither played a home game. And we played 2. 

Nothing against the guy, I want every scotland manager to succeed. But its been poor overall. It really has.

Strachan when we went deserved to go, but he had the team playing better than this. Were going nowhere.

f**k off @BingMcCrosby

I mean, working with some great coaches in the Barclays for about 20 year probably helps Clarke.  It's clearly stood him in good stead ahead of the likes of serial managerial jobbers like Levein, Burley and Strachan.

It also helps that the Clarke era doesn't have squads rammed full with English Championship jobbers.  There's proper #Barclaysmen in it for once.

Yeah we played great last night, hopefully we can keep it going. Its early days in the group but it really couldn't have started any better.

Cmon Scotland

And

Good luck with your vengeance, after a great Scotland win.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

15 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Good luck with your vengeance

Tom Cruise GIF

Here's another good one

On 02/06/2022 at 07:57, BingMcCrosby said:

Well changed my mind again (lucky the thread still here). That was a shambles last night. Dinosaur long ball football again on the biggest stage. We were never even remotely competitive. Ukraine are not a great team, and most of their players haven't played in months.

Trying to shoehorn players into a system built around including Tierney, without Tierney available.

Yes results have improved, but we've also got the best group of players we have had in a long time.

I dont believe we can't be organised better than this.

His contact isn't up for a while so he's not going to be removed. He should do the honorable thing and resign for the good of the team.

Even the Clarke fan boys can't be saying that was good??

Steve Harvey Cringe GIF by ABC Network

Edited by 2426255

• 2 weeks later...

Just before the next games, and this all starts again 🤣

Ill just say a few things so I can bookmark and quote it rather then typing out a reply.

Scotland are playing well, its great for all us Scotland fans. I hope and think we will qualify this time under Clarke. And you can ask for more than that.

The continued narrative by one poster alone, that I hate Steve Clarke. Its been addressed a few times, nobody could quote me criticising Clarke on anything other than football related matters.

Regarding hate. I don't know Steve Clarke personally, but he seems a good guy. And most importantly he's a professional guy doing his best, and with Scotlands best interests at heart. Were he to lose every game from now until the end of the campaign, I still wouldn't hate him.

Were he to qualify and get past the group stage at the finals, id probably say I loved him 😍