Time to go Steve Clarke

11 minutes ago, Binos said:

Would like Steve to take lead from Morocco who showed exactly how to play the Spanish 

A 4141 with a high line compressing whole game into 30 yards or so and say can you play through us

Then try hit on break 

Agreed. Hendry and McKenna should have the necessary pace for this. 

46 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm obviously not the only one to have watched the world Cup. Are you high?

That may well be the case. Scottish players are traditionally more likely to play in England than in other European leagues. Croatian tend to move to a variety of leagues. That comparison would mean next to nothing.

Why would it mean next to nothing?When every player in the world wants to play in the EPL?Its the biggest richest league on earth

If teams there wanted a Croatian especially still playing in there domestic league they'll get them

And no I'm not high

5 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Why would it mean next to nothing?When every player in the world wants to play in the EPL?Its the biggest richest league on earth

If teams there wanted a Croatian especially still playing in there domestic league they'll get them

And no I'm not high

Because we have more players in the PL than Croatia do right now, and they're significantly better than us. Because their squad is full of players playing in other top leagues around Europe.

23 minutes ago, Binos said:

Would like Steve to take lead from Morocco who showed exactly how to play the Spanish 

A 4141 with a high line compressing whole game into 30 yards or so and say can you play through us

Then try hit on break 

Spain have changed manager since the World Cup so what we've seen of Spain recently at the World Cup might not be a great template to work from. Perhaps the new manager will allow Spain to hit shots from outside the box for example or allow his team to play over or around a high press.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Spain have changed manager since the World Cup so what we've seen of Spain recently at the World Cup might not be a great template to work from. Perhaps the new manager will allow Spain to hit shots from outside the box for example or allow his team to play over or around a high press.

Spain haven't changed their style of play in about 15 years 

Spain certainly aren't unbeatable. If a disciplined side can keep them away from goal, they're happy to just stroke the ball around between them like they think ties are decided on possession or something.

Was it Japan they lost to at the last World Cup without taking a shot on goal in the last fifteen minutes or so?

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Because we have more players in the PL than Croatia do right now, and they're significantly better than us. Because their squad is full of players playing in other top leagues around Europe.

But there all playing at a lesser level when quite clearly without question the English Premier is the best and has been for a long long time

And we also have players in top five leagues some we don't even cap

Aren't saying we are better than Croatia where have I even said that?

I was talking about players going to the best league on the planet and we actually have more

Scotland are just under achiving when you take it into consideration 

I hope that changes and we go on a run again cos we got a good team and can't see us finding a better manager that is based in England were our best players play 

5 hours ago, General dissaray said:

But there all playing at a lesser level when quite clearly without question the English Premier is the best and has been for a long long time

And we also have players in top five leagues some we don't even cap

Aren't saying we are better than Croatia where have I even said that?

I was talking about players going to the best league on the planet and we actually have more

Scotland are just under achiving when you take it into consideration 

I hope that changes and we go on a run again cos we got a good team and can't see us finding a better manager that is based in England were our best players play 

The PL might be the best league but that doesn't mean all the players in it are better than all the players in other leagues. For example, the most common nationality in the PL is English. That doesn't mean that England produces the best players in the world. Just as Scotland having more PL players than Croatia doesn't mean we produce better players than them. It's an absolutely insane way to compare the standard of player between two countries.

25 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The PL might be the best league but that doesn't mean all the players in it are better than all the players in other leagues. For example, the most common nationality in the PL is English. That doesn't mean that England produces the best players in the world. Just as Scotland having more PL players than Croatia doesn't mean we produce better players than them. It's an absolutely insane way to compare the standard of player between two countries.

England still produces better pkayers than Croatia though naw it isn't its just basic facts most EPL clubs would destroy teams out other leagues as the European records show

2 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

England still produces better pkayers than Croatia though naw it isn't its just basic facts most EPL clubs would destroy teams out other leagues as the European records show

Right. So what kind of point are you even trying to make now?

Edited by Gordon EF

10 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Right. So what kind of point are you even trying to make now?

You have to remember he can't read his previous posts, to remember what he was actually on about, due to a RARE EYE CONDITION, so his meandering thoughts will likely continue for as long as you do.

On 07/01/2023 at 20:39, General dissaray said:

Like you were the only guy in here that watched the world cup then aye?I still aren't convinced that long term Croatia will have as many as us playing in the best league in the world which is still the English Premiership 

How is this relevant?

Croatia’s players individually play at a higher level than ours. 

Of the players we have in England, how many are playing regularly for a top 6 team?

3 hours ago, TwoHeadedBoy said:

How is this relevant?

Croatia’s players individually play at a higher level than ours. 

Of the players we have in England, how many are playing regularly for a top 6 team?

EPL is a much better standard than where most off the Croatia team play that is the reliance 

And Scotland has more players than they do in the EPL

On 08/01/2023 at 11:00, Binos said:

Then try hit on break 

100% we should play a back four with a high line and co-ordinated press. It’s in our genes to press. We’ve got lightening quick defenders to cope with the high line and technical midfielders to operate in restricted space. 

I hate the back 3 that invariably becomes a 5. It leads to indecision at the back and bring over run in midfield. We’d have been at the world cup if we’d gone with a four v Ukraine. 

Tierney could play in midfield no problem, when Robertson and him are both available. 

On 08/01/2023 at 11:00, Binos said:

Then try hit on break 

On 08/01/2023 at 11:36, 2426255 said:

On 08/01/2023 at 11:41, Binos said:

Spain haven't changed their style of play in about 15 years 

I'm aware I'm running the risk of turning this discussion into a tedious topic but I saw this today and to think Spain aren't going to adapt their previous  approach under Luis Enrique doesn't seem likely.

Luis de la Fuente has option A, option B and option C. He is a person who likes to take care of the ball, but if he has to play a more direct football, then he can do that. The team can play a 3-5-2, a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 with no problems. (Luis Enrique) lacked this option. At certain moments of the World Cup, we missed playing slightly more direct football or a quick kick from Unai Simón to surprise the opposing team. All the teams knew how we were going to play 100% of the minutes.

Albert Luque, Spanish Sporting Director

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/01/11/luis-enrique-had-no-plan-b-former-spain-coach-criticised-by-new-rfef-sporting-director

This is why using a game plan based on the approach used by Morocco and/or Japan in their games against Spain at the Qatar World Cup as a template might only have limited value. 

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I'm aware I'm running the risk of turning this discussion into a tedious topic but I saw this today and to think Spain aren't going to adapt their previous  approach under Luis Enrique doesn't seem likely.

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/01/11/luis-enrique-had-no-plan-b-former-spain-coach-criticised-by-new-rfef-sporting-director

This is why using a game plan based on the approach used by Morocco and/or Japan in their games against Spain at the Qatar World Cup as a template might only have limited value. 

Oh well 

532 it is and swamped in midfield and annihilated 

Thank god we have that play off

On 09/01/2023 at 12:42, woof! said:

100% we should play a back four with a high line and co-ordinated press. It’s in our genes to press. We’ve got lightening quick defenders to cope with the high line and technical midfielders to operate in restricted space. 

I hate the back 3 that invariably becomes a 5. It leads to indecision at the back and bring over run in midfield. We’d have been at the world cup if we’d gone with a four v Ukraine. 

Tierney could play in midfield no problem, when Robertson and him are both available. 

Has Tierney ever played in midfield?

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Has Tierney ever played in midfield?

Don't know 🤷‍♂️ But certain players can adapt to other positions. I would expect him to be able to do it well.

I think if Clarke was going to play them both down the left Robertson would be the further forward. As he did against Turkey. Which I would like to see again.

33 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Don't know 🤷‍♂️ But certain players can adapt to other positions. I would expect him to be able to do it well.

I think if Clarke was going to play them both down the left Robertson would be the further forward. As he did against Turkey. Which I would like to see again.

He could do with learning to 

Zinchenko being a former midfielder is getting him the nod with this inverted full backs fad