Time to go Steve Clarke

I honestly think we just lost our form for the Ukraine play off, all the uncertainty over the game, the big occasion and the circumstances around it fucked with the players heads and we shat the bed. Not to mention it being moved to the end of the domestic season. These things happen unfortunately. The Ireland game was just a calamity brought on from the playoff.

The way the team has responded has been superb tho, when you compare it to a similar situation _ the late loss to Italy in 2007 where we had earned ourselves pot 2 for the 2010 world cup qualifiers. We then went on to have an utterly horrific campaign under burley, just when we thought we were in the up.  The way this team have came back, the comparison to then and now, there simply is no comparison

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

It’s extremely debatable, because it didn’t happen. We have won plenty of games with the back 3, and played very well with it.

It’s not like we were losing consistently until he changed it, we have been doing well until those handful of games in June. 

Tactically we are flexible and will play the 3 or the 4 at the back when he wants to. He might even change them in the game. It’s not one or the other and I don’t agree that either of them are clearly better, for all we were sound defensively last night it still wasn’t our best performance. 

Is it not recommended that a back four is better against opponents playing two wingers ?

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Tom English is not perfect but if you'd rather have Bonner, Biscuits, Neil McCann, Peter Grant & the rest of the thick as mince ex pros rather than literate journalists then just carry on knocking him. Gushing praise over this week's achievements is merited but I fail to see how a 3-0 pumping from a shit poor Ireland was anything other than doomsday. Those trying to claim they knew all along that things would be fine have overdone the hindsight on their chips.

I thought Sean Maloney ( who has managed Porteous ) and , to a lesser  extent , McCann were good last night

When we f**k up against sides we'll likely finish ahead of, there are always folk who'll say, "aye, but we could still take points off the top seeds", which has felt like extravagant optimism for the past twenty years (even if it has happened on occasion).
This is the first time in a good twenty years where I'd be liable to think, "aye, I could actually see that happening". Easily the best time to be a Scotland fan so far this millennium.

It's getting harder and harder for us to take points off teams seeded above us now on account of there hardly being any teams seeded above us. That's your real progress.

54 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I honestly think we just lost our form for the Ukraine play off, all the uncertainty over the game, the big occasion and the circumstances around it fucked with the players heads and we shat the bed. Not to mention it being moved to the end of the domestic season. These things happen unfortunately. The Ireland game was just a calamity brought on from the playoff.

The way the team has responded has been superb tho, when you compare it to a similar situation _ the late loss to Italy in 2007 where we had earned ourselves pot 2 for the 2010 world cup qualifiers. We then went on to have an utterly horrific campaign under burley, just when we thought we were in the up.  The way this team have came back, the comparison to then and now, there simply is no comparison

Well no, the difference was tactically. The way we set up now vs then was the difference in the team not form or effort.

We were able to engage higher due to more forward players on the pitch. We had more options especially wide when we won the ball. And the back 4 had been drilled excellently to use the offside trap eliminating their balls over the top.

Had we played like that in the first game we would have won.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

Was sure we were going to get caught trying to play offside last night. How their striker couldn't time his run I'm not sure. We weren't pressing Ukraine's defenders to stop them firing balls over the top of our high line and it was more our defenders that stood up rather than the system.

We were caught out with that in the playoff game for the first goal. I think if we had lost a goal from that last night it would have been criticized. 

image.thumb.png.98fca86793fd4a32a1e391bda1d8dfb0.png

image.thumb.png.5b5554bf5951797ac5d4ce470ef62cba.png

It isn't an accurate portrayal to say we got the result because we played 4atb last night. To attribute the result all to tactical changes is unfair and saying we'd have won if we'd have played 4atb in June is also simplistic. 

Edited by 2426255

Just now, General dissaray said:

Ukraine had three or four good chances to score but we got the result and thought we controlled possession very well in the midfield for large spells in the game

Yeah it was a big improvement from us over the 3 games in general. If you consider the players missing and also them getting used to a new system and way of playing things can hopefully only get better.

Was sure we were going to get caught trying to play offside last night. How their striker couldn't time his run I'm not sure. We weren't pressing Ukraine's defenders to stop them firing balls over the top of our high line and it was more our defenders that stood up rather than the system.
We were caught out with that in the playoff game for the first goal. I think if we had lost a goal from that last night it would have been criticized. 
image.thumb.png.98fca86793fd4a32a1e391bda1d8dfb0.png

image.thumb.png.5b5554bf5951797ac5d4ce470ef62cba.png

It isn't an accurate portrayal to say we got the result because we played 4atb last night. To attribute the result all to tactical changes is unfair and saying we'd have won if we'd have played 4atb in June is also simplistic. 
Looking at the picture from the play-off, it looks really fucking difficult to play a high line with a back five imo. They punished us with that goal, which I don't think was a regular pattern in the game, but England, Denmark and Austria all looked to deploy a similar thing with diagonal runs across our backline.

I believe it's easier to play offside with a four simply because there's one fewer player who might be too deep, but then having that extra body can reduce the space to exploit between full/wing-back and centre-back so neither is perfect. I thought our offside trap was shockingly good however I'll need to watch the game back.

Just now, accies1874 said:

Looking at the picture from the play-off, it looks really fucking difficult to play a high line with a back five imo. They punished us with that goal, which I don't think was a regular pattern in the game, but England, Denmark and Austria all looked to deploy a similar thing with diagonal runs across our backline.

I believe it's easier to play offside with a four simply because there's one fewer player who might be too deep, but then having that extra body can reduce the space to exploit between full/wing-back and centre-back so neither is perfect. I thought our offside trap was shockingly good however I'll need to watch the game back.

Yeah thats it in a nutshell. Also at times there's less space for them to exploit by simply drifting off the centre back when the wing back has moved forward. With the 4 the full backs are more likely to be in position.

A snap shot taken from a game is pretty insignificant when you can/have watched the game for yourself.

Porteous rightly gets alot of credit for his performance, but it looked like hendry was the experienced one keeping that line so organised to do it so effectively.

14 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

You're trying to spin this like Clarke has had some road to Damascus moment. We haven't completely changed tactics, our positive style has been quite consistent and the players are well drilled.

Here's Steve Clarkes opinion on it

------‐-------------------

"If you go back to June, some people wanted me out the door. Things can change quickly in football.

This has been a good week. Instead of taking a step forward, we've taken a giant leap.

We've found another way to play, we've found other players in the squad who can do very, very well for us"

---------‐‐‐-------------

So Steve himself says the team have taken a giant leap forward and found a new way to play. So let's put to bed the pretending that it didn't happen.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

I'd side more towards outcome bias. The defending was good because we kept a clean sheet. The offside trap worked because Dovbyk didn't score. The tactics worked because we got the result we needed. It wasn't tactics that got us the nil-nil in my opinion - more determination, fight and desire combined with a sprinkling of good fortune.

38 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Remember when the Scotland manager was Gordon Strachan? 🤣

Poor Chesney. Hard to do well when your players are genetically programmed to be shite at football. Good news for Clarke is that those genetic challenges have been overcome 😂

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Strachan was a noisy see dick throughout his unsuccessful spell.

It doesn't require the benefit of hindsight to say he should have been removed earlier.

You're right, there was plenty on here, including myself, calling for him to go when we finished 4th in our Euro 2016 qualifying group.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Couldn't mark Bings neck with a blowtorch.

It's utterly bizarre. Even if you somehow agree that Clarke's changing of formation and personel is tantamount to a 'complete' tactical turnabout, it still stands that he wouldn't have had that opportunity had Bing had his way back in June or after the Euros.

The dignified position would be to put your hand up and acknowledge your short sightedness. 

Strachan was a noisy see dick throughout his unsuccessful spell.
It doesn't require the benefit of hindsight to say he should have been removed earlier.
I agree but I wonder if a Scotland manager had ever been sacked in the midst of a seven-match unbeaten run.

The timing of it was weird in that sense, but less so when you think that we had a new generation emerging which I don't think Strachan could've been trusted to integrate.