Time to go Steve Clarke

To be fair there isn't a case for him being right. I'd say embarrassingly wrong but each to their own.
Well done to the team - fantastic effort, really has built something excellent for all of us to get behind. Fully behind Steve Clarke and you just have to say well done to him, he knows what he's doing.
I totally agree SC has got it absolutely spot on. Bumps along the road, but ultimately this is the best spell I can remember as a Scotland fan. I want to kiss his lovely bald napper.

My point was the idiocy of suggesting that we delete a thread because it doesn't agree with the current upwards trend and triumphal attitude. That's moronic and anti-intellectual, no matter how off the mark the content of a thread might seem right now.

I'm pretty sure Clarke himself would agree, and predict that it's far more likely that he'll eventually be sacked than stand down in triumph. History tells us that this thread will most likely become relevant one day.

...but not today. Not today [emoji6]

Regardless of how his tenure ends though, he's going to be remembered as a great.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I totally agree SC has got it absolutely spot on. Bumps along the road, but ultimately this is the best spell I can remember as a Scotland fan. I want to kiss his lovely bald napper.

My point was the idiocy of suggesting that we delete a thread because it doesn't agree with the current upwards trend and triumphal attitude. That's moronic and anti-intellectual, no matter how off the mark the content of a thread might seem right now.

I'm pretty sure Clarke himself would agree, and predict that it's far more likely that he'll eventually be sacked than stand down in triumph. Regardless of how his tenure ends though, he's going to be remembered as a great.

I think this thread is more of a testament to being too quick to make judgements and so I suppose in that sense it maybe is worth keeping around as a monument to that more than anything else. It's funny to re-read some of the viewpoints normally after set-backs so it has value in that too. 👍

I think this thread is more of a testament to being too quick to make judgements and so I suppose in that sense it maybe is worth keeping around as a monument to that more than anything else. It's funny to re-read some of the viewpoints normally after set-backs so it has value in that too. [emoji106]
That's it, precisely.
Someone else has tonight started a "Future Scotland Team" thread.
Imagine if we started deleting posts from that thread because they didn't match the actual team of the future. It'd render the whole thing pointless.

It's totally valid, and interesting, to be able to entertain an alternative point of view, even if you ultimately choose not to agree with it. Someone far more clever than anyone on here once said that, about 2,400 years ago, by the way.

Anyway, I'm getting pretentious, thanks to the booze. Time for bed.

[emoji869]Well done, Scotland!

The reason Clarke has worked miracles for us ( although he shouldn't have had too) is that even though we probably have the strongest group of players in a generation - at least so far this century anyway, we no longer play like a team who believes themselves to be inferior to the opposition, although a quick read of the threads shows that far too many fans are still clinging on to old habits " it'l be a big ask away from home with the players we have out "  " i'll take a draw tbh"  - against Ireland at home??  

Clarke has successfully rid Scotland of the absolutely stinking losers mentality that has held us back for years, if not forever   

" i'll take a draw tbh"  - against Ireland at home??  
Clarke has successfully rid Scotland of the absolutely stinking losers mentality that has held us back for years, if not forever   

We only needed a draw against Ireland at home which is why people would have accepted it.

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We only needed a draw against Ireland at home which is why people would have accepted it.

I know that, but we should also have recognized that we are more than good enough to beat Ireland. we must get away from this mentality that a point here and there will do, for donkeys years we used to approach every away game that way and it got us naewhere, we should absolutely be approaching games with the mindset that of we are good enough to win then we should be winning. 

4 hours ago, Loominous said:

To be fair there isn't a case for him being right. I'd say embarrassingly wrong but each to their own.

Well done to the team - fantastic effort, really has built something excellent for all of us to get behind. Fully behind Steve Clarke and you just have to say well done to him, he knows what he's doing.

There isn't a case for being right, at this exact moment yes.

When we were papped out the euros failing to win 2 home games there was certainly a case.

When Ukraine came here and embarrassed us there was certainly a case.

The people who were adamant that the 5 at the back negative tactics was how we should play going forward were also incorrect.

Tbh I think Clarke is evolving and getting better as a manager. As many have pointed out, and its conveniently ignored every time. This is our best group of players in a long time. Comparisons with previous managers are lazy justifications.

He should be judged on the expectations of what this squad can achieve.

Its also worth pointing out that alot of the criticisms of Clarke made by me have been addressed. In fact hes now playing exactly as I suggested.

Previously mentioned 5 at the back changed.

Hickey at right back (at one point a laughing stock for saying this)

McTominay in midfield rather than defence.

O'Donnell out to pasture.

Is Steve Clarke reading this and listening to my advice? It seems almost certain he is.

Hi Steve we've got this just keep reading mate.

Stop leaving it so late for the subs.

McLean at left mid, that was your idea. Never again mate. 👍

Edited by BingMcCrosby

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Its also worth pointing out that alot of the criticisms of Clarke made by me have been addressed. In fact hes now playing exactly as I suggested.

Previously mentioned 5 at the back changed.

Hickey at right back (at one point a laughing stock for saying this)

McTominay in midfield rather than defence.

O'Donnell out to pasture.

Is Steve Clarke reading this and listening to my advice? It seems almost certain he is.

Hi Steve we've got this just keep reading mate.

Stop leaving it so late for the subs.

McLean at left mid, that was your idea. Never again mate. 👍

You're fooling absolutely nobody. That's twice you've kicked SSC when he's been down and you'd have been straight on here calling for his head had we lost a late goal last night.

We play a higher press, short sharp passing in possession because that's what the better sides do if they can and it's the best way to win the most points. Sometimes that means you'll lose important games when teams get through your lines, so be it.

It's difficult for international coaches to keep consistency given the short time they have with players. Clarke has always been able to rally his players after the blips. We don't have a plethora of great defenders but we're a solid enough defending unit thanks to the manager. We've had 20 years of defensive garbage. 

it won't always be plain sailing but thankfully there's enough level headed supporters to drown out the fringe dissenters waiting for the slip ups.

He got almost evrything spot on over the three games despite suffering his largest amount of call offs, so many players unavailable for selection. A big well done to Steve and his coaching team.

Not sure there was an obvious alternative to McLean playing out on the left, if Christie and Armstrong were deemed to be ill. ALthough he was a complete fish out of water, so would probably have changed it at half time.

Just now, BFTD said:

The ungrateful shite hasn't even thanked Bing in public yet  :lol:

Ill get my rewards in heaven

Just now, Falcor Roar said:

you'd have been straight on here calling for his head had we lost a late goal last night.

Really? Despite before the home Ukraine game saying I'd be ok with us getting beat, id just like to see an improved performance

Rather than suggest what I would do, take the time to understand what I said.

Weve completely changed formation and tactics, if you can't see that I dont think you understand much about football.

At the times I wanted Clarke sacked it was the correct call at that time. I explained my reasons and they have been proven.

Steve Clarke has been sacked!!!

He sacked himself, this is Steve Clarke 2.0, and Im on board. He was my idea 💡

On 23/06/2021 at 09:08, BingMcCrosby said:

Overall performances and results have been poor. Hes already made a terrible start to the next qualifying. Its time we parted ways, hes never going to be a good manager for us. Were going nowhere.

On 12/11/2021 at 21:48, BingMcCrosby said:

Im more than happy to admit I got it wrong. Its a brilliant run of results for us and there's obviously no chance of clarke going anywhere. 

On 02/06/2022 at 07:57, BingMcCrosby said:

Well changed my mind again (lucky the thread still here). He should do the honorable thing and resign for the good of the team.

11 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I would be very much against that 🤣 I think whats Clarke done in the last 3 games has been remarkable. I love you big stevey baby 😍

It's pretty obvious Steve Clarke has been building something here mate since he got the job - you obviously haven't been to recognize that which is fine. I don't think you have an agenda against him but I do think you've been quite fickle over this issue.

We didn't play our football well tonight - we were quite fortunate and produced a performance showing other kinds of qualities. If we had lost that game would you have been saying that we had missed an opportunity again? 

Just now, Loominous said:

It's pretty obvious Steve Clarke has been building something here mate since he got the job - you obviously haven't been to recognize that which is fine. I don't think you have an agenda against him but I do think you've been quite fickle over this issue.

We didn't play our football well tonight - we were quite fortunate and produced a performance showing other kinds of qualities. If we had lost that game would you have been saying that we had missed an opportunity again? 

So you don't think the change of formation and tactics helped us in the 3 games?

23 minutes ago, Loominous said:

June is clearly a dangerous month for Steve Clarke.

7 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The reason Clarke has worked miracles for us ( although he shouldn't have had too) is that even though we probably have the strongest group of players in a generation - at least so far this century anyway, we no longer play like a team who believes themselves to be inferior to the opposition, although a quick read of the threads shows that far too many fans are still clinging on to old habits " it'l be a big ask away from home with the players we have out "  " i'll take a draw tbh"  - against Ireland at home??  

I agree with alot of this.

What people are looking for is vengeance rather than enjoying the success.

What people are looking for is me and others to admit they got it wrong.

BTW I was wrong, I didn't think Clarke would change his tactics and make us a more progressive team. But he has and its great. So in that aspect yeah I was wrong.

I've not been personal once about Clarke, and have praised what I see as his good qualities many times. As well as suggesting where he was going wrong.

Am I going thru the threads demanding an apology from the posters who were insistent that 5 at the back was working and we were doing well? No, because that is pointless

Steve Clarke has recognised it himself and improved the team, and improved himself as a manager. Which is great for all of us.

33 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Weve completely changed formation and tactics, if you can't see that I dont think you understand much about football.

You're trying to spin this like Clarke has had some road to Damascus moment. We haven't completely changed tactics, our positive style has been quite consistent and the players are well drilled. We've had games where the players haven't followed through with the game plan either/or because the opposition have played too well or because we've lost confidence leading to poor shape and a reliance on hitting it long (Czech Rep and Croatia at Euro 2020, Ireland away, Ukraine playoff). It happens, international teams are particularly vulnerable to inconsistency.

We played a back 4 for years before Clarke and it didn't work. We used a back 3 to steady the ship. We're moving back to a 4 because things have evolved and the manager is competent enough to bring in changes as and when needed. 

Can we also claw out Tom English while I'm at it? He's another that's gushing again this morning but has been doomsday when we've stalled. 

Just now, Falcor Roar said:

You're trying to spin this like Clarke has had some road to Damascus moment. We haven't completely changed tactics, our positive style has been quite consistent and the players are well drilled. We've had games where the players haven't followed through with the game plan either/or because the opposition have played too well or because we've lost confidence leading to poor shape and a reliance on hitting it long (Czech Rep and Croatia at Euro 2020, Ireland away, Ukraine playoff). It happens, international teams are particularly vulnerable to inconsistency.

We played a back 4 for years before Clarke and it didn't work. We used a back 3 to steady the ship. We're moving back to a 4 because things have evolved and the manager is competent enough to bring in changes as and when needed. 

Can we also claw out Tom English while I'm at it? He's another that's gushing again this morning but has been doomsday when we've stalled. 

You would have to ask Clarke personally his reasons for changing formation and tactics. But its not even debateable that that is what happened.