Time to go Steve Clarke

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I forgot about our SFA's initial arrogance towards the World Cup.

Think you need to read my second sentence again  :P

Apologies I misread can't. 

What a can't, sorry.

2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Were currently clearly a better side? We just got cuffed by them?

We currently clearly should be the better side, which is why this thread is here.

Also we've never been out the groups, they have got the the quarters, they win.

It doesn't matter how many times you turn up to the dancing, its about getting a ride.

Yeah, sometimes that happens in football, the better side loses. Or is the last team to win always the best? Good news for Dundee United to be better than Barcelona.

We have been to the last 8 of the euros and the last 16 of the world cup multiple times, not getting out of the group is a format thing only.

As for the last analogy 😅

Would you swap one QF for 9 qualifications?

Just now, Satoshi said:

Apologies I misread can't. 

What a can't, sorry.

Yeah, sometimes that happens in football, the better side loses. Or is the last team to win always the best? Good news for Dundee United to be better than Barcelona.

We have been to the last 8 of the euros and the last 16 of the world cup multiple times, not getting out of the group is a format thing only.

As for the last analogy 😅

Would you swap one QF for 9 qualifications?

The last analogy is true man, thats what its all about. You can boast about going to the disco 9 times, but all you did was drink by the bar 🤷‍♂️

Yes I'd swap for a quarter final, no question.

8 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

The last analogy is true man, thats what its all about. You can boast about going to the disco 9 times, but all you did was drink by the bar 🤷‍♂️

Yes I'd swap for a quarter final, no question.

Wow, absolutely wild. 9 qualifications Vs winning one extra game? That's certifiably insane.

But at least you're owning it I guess.

Just now, Satoshi said:

Wow, absolutely wild. 9 qualifications Vs winning one extra game? That's certifiably insane.

But at least you're owning it I guess.

I think im probably in the majority, time for a new poll😂

I doubt the Irish would swap with us either.

Your overly confident everyone is jealous of your walk home past the kebab shop then a teary tug.

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

I think im probably in the majority, time for a new poll😂

I doubt the Irish would swap with us either.

Your overly confident everyone is jealous of your walk home past the kebab shop then a teary tug.

Maybe going to far more tournaments, and having a much superior head to head would convince them.

Set up the poll if you want, qualify for 9 world cups in the next 50 years and last 8 of a group stage euros or last 8 of a non group stage euros.

Your analogy is complete crap too, why would getting to the last 16 mean you have pulled but not the last 8? It's purely based on formatting.

Just now, Satoshi said:

Maybe going to far more tournaments, and having a much superior head to head would convince them.

Set up the poll if you want, qualify for 9 world cups in the next 50 years and last 8 of a group stage euros or last 8 of a non group stage euros.

Your analogy is complete crap too, why would getting to the last 16 mean you have pulled but not the last 8? It's purely based on formatting.

I doubt it, but I also can't be bothered setting up a poll.

The analogy works, your annoyed maybe its too accurate.

Just now, BFTD said:

This does explain Morton's one-and-done philosophy with major trophies TBF.

Dude thats like 3 goes at trying to get a bite about morton being crap😂 Absolutely never going to happen, I've lived the constant disappointment.

What do you think im going to say, were a super successful well run club?

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Dude thats like 3 goes at trying to get a bite about morton being crap😂 Absolutely never going to happen, I've lived the constant disappointment.

What do you think im going to say, were a super successful well run club?

I was just trying to cheer you up with a flippant comment.

The previous mentions were just pointing out that you probably got so steamed up about Steve Clarke so quickly because he came from one of the diddy clubs who've been more successful than Morton. That does seem to be a very Morton thing. I wasn't expecting a reply.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I doubt it, but I also can't be bothered setting up a poll.

The analogy works, your annoyed maybe its too accurate.

So getting to the last 8 of a group stage euros is worse than getting to the last 16 of a 24 team Euros?

7 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

For the 500th time, yes.

Save me the "oh thats absolutely crazy and wild" reply tho.

If anything, it's weirdly admirable, most people hold views that are a bit daft but stay away from stating the obvious contradiction of such beliefs.

It doesn't seem to bother you at all, it's like saying confidently you would rather have £500 in £10 notes than £1000 in £20 notes. Wild and crazy of course, but at least you're admitting it.

How many major tournaments have you actually seen Scotland play in @Satoshi? I go as far back as ‘74. 

You can’t compare the old tournaments with the amount of qualifying that takes place today - especially with the break up of Russia. 

Scotland experienced a great deal of “luck” getting to tournaments in years gone by that would today been over ruled by VAR.

For the players Scotland produced in the 60s, 70s and 80s we seriously underperformed on the big stage when it matters. 

We had some of the greatest players in the history of the game, but through a multitude of reasons our bottle always crashed when it came to the big stage.

Just look at what Northern Ireland achieved in Spain 1982 and the Republic achieved in 1990 and 1994.

When you look at the record books in any cup competition no one is interested in who gets to the last 8, 16 or 24 so really it’s a pointless exercise.

I don’t honestly see us every producing groups of players of the likes of McNeil, Johnstone, Bremner, Law, Baxter, Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, McGrain, Gemmill, Jordan, McQueen, Robertson, Strachan, Leighton, Goram, Miller, McLeish, Cooper, Weir, McAvennie, McCoist, Johnson, Collins, Lambert, McAllister, Hendry.

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

How many major tournaments have you actually seen Scotland play in @Satoshi? I go as far back as ‘74. 

You can’t compare the old tournaments with the amount of qualifying that takes place today - especially with the break up of Russia. 

Scotland experienced a great deal of “luck” getting to tournaments in years gone by that would today been over ruled by VAR.

For the players Scotland produced in the 60s, 70s and 80s we seriously underperformed on the big stage when it matters. 

We had some of the greatest players in the history of the game, but through a multitude of reasons our bottle always crashed when it came to the big stage.

Just look at what Northern Ireland achieved in Spain 1982 and the Republic achieved in 1990 and 1994.

When you look at the record books in any cup competition no one is interested in who gets to the last 8, 16 or 24 so really it’s a pointless exercise.

I don’t honestly see us every producing groups of players of the likes of McNeil, Johnstone, Bremner, Law, Baxter, Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, McGrain, Gemmill, Jordan, McQueen, Robertson, Strachan, Leighton, Goram, Miller, McLeish, Cooper, Weir, McAvennie, McCoist, Johnson, Collins, Lambert, McAllister, Hendry.

You think Scotland is luckier than other nations? How exactly?

But overall this is quite an extreme example of doing anything to talk us down, thinking we are worse than Northern Ireland, saying we produce great players but underachieve, say we won't produce great players again, saying we used to qualify because there was less nations about, saying nobody cares about getting to the last 8 or last 16 (unless northern Ireland do it).

Has there every been anything you have been happy about it? Is your whole world a despairing pit of abject disappointment?

And finally lucky nations probably don't get repeatedly knocked out on goal difference.

Edited by Satoshi

1 minute ago, Satoshi said:

You think Scotland is luckier than other nations? How exactly?

But overall this is quite an extreme example of doing anything to talk us down, thinking we are worse than Northern Ireland, saying we produce great players but underachieve, say we won't produce great players again, saying we used to qualify because there was less nations about, saying nobody cares about getting to the last 8 or last 16 (unless northern Ireland do it).

Has there every been anything you have been happy about it? Is your whole world a despairing pit of abject disappointment?

And finally lucky nations probably don't get repeatedly knocked out on goal difference.

You still fail once again to answer the question I posed. No surprise there. That’s your usual ploy.

See I at least try to answer your questions.

Scotland experienced a great deal of “luck” getting to tournaments in years gone by that would today been over ruled by VAR.
Wales at Anfield 1977 and Wales in Cardiff 1985. Two very dubious penalties were awarded that would likely have been chalked off. 

So over to you. Answer the question honestly. 

How many major tournaments have you actually seen Scotland play in? 

6 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

You still fail once again to answer the question I posed. No surprise there. That’s your usual ploy.

See I at least try to answer your questions.

Scotland experienced a great deal of “luck” getting to tournaments in years gone by that would today been over ruled by VAR.
Wales at Anfield 1977 and Wales in Cardiff 1985. Two very dubious penalties were awarded that would likely have been chalked off. 

So over to you. Answer the question honestly. 

How many major tournaments have you actually seen Scotland play in? 

The question isn't really that relevant though, what difference would it make if I was alive for 5 or 2 or 1 tournament? Just because you ask a question doesn't mean it's relevant, you never answered my question if you have ever been happy about anything (Scottish football related or otherwise)? Or if your whole life was a despairing pit of abject disappointment, for example. So given that a bit weird you're upset I ignored your asl question.

Ah right, so your evidence is two dodgy penalties, can't imagine any have ever been given against Scotland or in favour of any other time, like Bale or a Lithuanian player diving, for example. Not surprised though, I knew you had nothing, and trying to fabricate being a lucky side with such flimsy evidence is a depth of self hatred I have not yet encountered before.

Do you think st mirren are a lucky team as well who will never produce great players again? Do you think Gretna or Arbroath are better? Do you only remember fortuitous decisions that go for st mirren not against them? Guess I'm just wondering if you're ludicrous hatred of the national team extends to your club side.

Edited by Satoshi

The question is relevant to "would you rather have Wales' record or ours"?

The first tournament I saw was 1990. I've seen us in 4 tournaments and that was nice, but it was mainly the disappointment of turning up and finding different ways to go home early. I can take little comfort from history I didn't witness. 

Wales went to a semi final. I watched the QF in a pub in Cardiff and Ithat game will rightly live on in the hearts and minds of Welsh people. This year they'll have made their 3rd tournament in my lifetime. Would I swap recent qualifying for getting to see Scotland at tournaments as a youngster? I'm honestly not sure.

I'd bite your hand off for Ireland's though.

8 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

The question isn't really that relevant though, what difference would it make if I was alive for 5 or 2 or 1 tournament? Just because you ask a question doesn't mean it's relevant, you never answered my question if you have ever been happy about anything (Scottish football related or otherwise)? Or if your whole life was a despairing pit of abject disappointment, for example. So given that a bit weird you're upset I ignored your asl question.

Ah right, so your evidence is two dodgy penalties, can't imagine any have ever been given against Scotland or in favour of any other time, like Bale or a Lithuanian player diving, for example. Not surprised though, I knew you had nothing, and trying to fabricate being a lucky side with such flimsy evidence is a depth of self hatred I have not yet encountered before.

Do you think st mirren are a lucky team as well who will never produce great players again? Do you think Gretna or Arbroath are better? Do you only remember fortuitous decisions that go for st mirren not against them? Guess I'm just wondering if you're ludicrous hatred of the national team extends to your club side.

I’m very optimistic. I have followed St Mirren for 50 years. Our golden generation was from 76-87. Never again will I see a part time striker win a Golden boot and fail to win a Scotland cap while at Saints. I could list you loads of Saints players from that period who would walk into the current Scotland team.

I think St Mirren have produced a number of talents in my lifetime who have gone on to achieve great things. There are not many who have gone on to achieve European glory like Gemmill and Lambert who both captained Scotland and played at major finals. 

Recent years players like John McGinn has also gone on to have great career and has captained his country as well s playing in a major tournament. Add Kenny McLean. Both won a major domestic honour while at a diddy club at a very young age. 

I’ve followed Scotland to three major tournaments taking weeks off work and spending a fortune on travel, accommodation, tickets and bevvy. Seen us play Brazil twice and lose by a solitary goal on each occasion. I’d hardly call that the actions of someone who lives a life of “abject disappointment”. I have memories and experiences lasting a lifetime.

When I go to a football match I never go expecting my team to win. Never. I hope we can win, I believe we can win. There is a difference.

However that does not mean that Scotland management and players are not immune to criticism after a game. As some examples Fergie should have taken Hansen to Mexico and played Souness against Uruguay. McAvennie was on fire in England but Fergie chose Sturrock over him. Stein should have sorted his central defence and forward line in Spain. Roxburgh should have played McCoist and Johnson and gone for Goram instead of Leighton in Italy as big Jim was devoid of confidence following his FA cup final fallout with Fergie. Ally should not have taken Derek Johnstone or Joe Harper and taken an on fire Andy Gray who was young player and player of the year with Villa.

The SFA massively fcuked up with hotels and training facilities at some tournaments.

Finally Billy Bremner should have buried his chance against Brazil in 1974.

I have no hatred towards St Mirren or Scotland even after all they have put me through. I’m still a season ticket holder and a fully paid up member of the travel club. Nice try chum.

I reckon and it’s just a guess that you’ve only ever witnessed one major tournament and you only watched it in TV.

I feel privileged to have seen in person Scotland playing 9 times at major tournaments. The best one was certainly the opening ceremony and match against the reigning world champions. I though we were unlucky that day. Just like in a soaking Turin in 1990. Gutted both times to leave having lost. But certainly not bitter, so I have no idea where you are getting that idea from. 

But you get some kicks out of trolling….

37D5466F-EF56-4824-B16C-DA54DCB11F28.gif.7f421d6772dd2614d421814018ca1554.gif

1 hour ago, velo army said:

The question is relevant to "would you rather have Wales' record or ours"?

The first tournament I saw was 1990. I've seen us in 4 tournaments and that was nice, but it was mainly the disappointment of turning up and finding different ways to go home early. I can take little comfort from history I didn't witness. 

Wales went to a semi final. I watched the QF in a pub in Cardiff and Ithat game will rightly live on in the hearts and minds of Welsh people. This year they'll have made their 3rd tournament in my lifetime. Would I swap recent qualifying for getting to see Scotland at tournaments as a youngster? I'm honestly not sure.

I'd bite your hand off for Ireland's though.

What's so good about Ireland's exactly?

As for the above post, not going to quote as too long, but if this is your genuine attitude how could you possibly think Scotland are luckier than other nations and cite two decisions from the 70s?

Here's a question for you to answer, do you think lucky teams repeatedly get knocked out on goal difference?

Fwiw, Scotland are no luckier or less lucky than any other nation, some things go for us and some don't.  Nobody is saying we should be immune from any criticism, far from it, there was plenty of legitimate (and illegitimate) criticism after the last international break.

However, wanting to swap out international record with the likes of northern Ireland or Iceland confirms you as a self hater with extreme recency bias. 

Thinking getting to the last 16 of a 24 team Euros is a better achievement than reaching an 8 team Euros makes you an idiot.

And your guess on the amount of tournaments I've seen was wrong, no luck.

Edited by Satoshi