Time to go Steve Clarke

Just now, 2426255 said:

I'm not sure Clarke got it right, but I'm sure the players got it wrong. Whatever it was.

Yes, well I took what Andy Robertson said in combination with what Steve Clarke said and what I saw. The players performed poorly and we don't know what role the manager played in it. So we can only attribute on the basis that he is the manager and it's part of his job to take the blame.

Motivation of players , correctly setting them up based on who you are playing (rather than persisting with the same system regardless) and the ability to make subs or tactical changes to positively affect the game for your team are all in large parts down to a manager.

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Well for one thing, marking Shane Duffy with a player that can actually head the ball might have been better

Well it might not be Steve Clarke that takes control of set piece arrangements - there is a set piece coach. The players themselves can perhaps re-organise if things aren't suitable. 

Just now, afc_blockhead said:

Jesus

You have to be a member of his family or work for the SFA PR department 

Playing your game, why are you so sure Clarke got it right? Also well avoided again regarding the point ALL players "take responsibility" after a shit result. Means nothing 

Tactically - for a start leaving Hendry on Duffy all game despite him being dominated from the first cross in / playing 3 at the back who kept getting stretched and caught out with balls behind and not changing it.

That sort of thing.

But i know your response, you are one of those who believes 11 players working hard is all its about (he couldn't even get that out of them?

Mate of course your right, the critics of Clarke are now in the overwhelming majority. Let's it go hes just a fanny.

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm not sure Clarke got it right, but I'm sure the players got it wrong. Whatever it was.

Yes, well I took what Andy Robertson said in combination with what Steve Clarke said and what I saw. The players performed poorly and we don't know what role the manager played in it. So we can only attribute on the basis that he is the manager and it's part of his job to take the blame.

“A couple of changes today that obviously didn't work but I don't think it was about changes and personnel today,” he added. “It was more about, I don't know, more about something else".

Are you Steve Clarke?  The quote ive posted above is him yesterday.

Not particularly reassuring that hes clueless to what this "something else" was is it? Not personnel and not changes.. what does that leave? 

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Mate of course your right, the critics of Clarke are now in the overwhelming majority. Let's it go hes just a fanny.

You are right.

Done with him now.

Even if we drew/lost in Armenia this clown would be telling us people are only annoyed because we lost to Armenia and how Clarke couldnt have done anymore 😄

2 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

“A couple of changes today that obviously didn't work but I don't think it was about changes and personnel today,” he added. “It was more about, I don't know, more about something else".

Are you Steve Clarke?  The quote ive posted above is him yesterday.

Not particularly reassuring that hes clueless to what this "something else" was is it? Not personnel and not changes.. what does that leave? 

I don't know - that's what I'm saying, no-one knows. We know the performance was poor, we don't know why and we know Steve Clarke is ultimately the responsible person. That's all we know, unless someone else has anything they've been holding back, speak now.

Edited by 2426255

Just now, justinjest said:

who are the forward players that Scotland have, who will make a difference?

I can't think of any Scottish players who have troubled Celtic this season.

The 3 highest placed Scottish players in last season's SPL were Bruce Anderson, Livingston (I had to look him up, as never heard of him before), Lewis Ferguson (how many penalties?)& Tony Watt.

Does anyone think any of them would improve the team?

I have never liked Clarke as a manager - I think he destroys football, but I can't see anybody else improving things due to the lack of playing quality that we have.

The idea that this is the best squad for 30 years is absurd. Look back at the players from the past 30 years, who would walk into this team.

I dont think anyones saying that every player in the squad is the best in 30 years. More the overall group. Which I think is quite a well accepted view point. Fair enough if you disagree tho.

Just now, Donathan said:

It’s entirely possible that the tactics were wrong AND the execution by the players was also poor. It’s not just one or the other. 

That's possible, but you don't know that. 

Just now, afc_blockhead said:

You are right.

Done with him now.

Even if we drew/lost in Armenia this clown would be telling us people are only annoyed because we lost to Armenia and how Clarke couldnt have done anymore 😄

Exactly and by his logic Clarke would get no credit for the good results.

We can't change the players (who play well at high levels for their clubs)

Clarkes basically admitting in that quote you put up that he's clueless. He's got to go.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I dont think anyones saying that every player in the squad is the best in 30 years. More the overall group. Which I think is quite a well accepted view point. Fair enough if you disagree tho.

I'm not sure it's true either. Definitely not 30 years. There's a lot of substandard dross in this side.

The squad we went to France with in 1998 and England with in 1996 were far superior imo. 

I think the 2007 ish squad was better too. Probably fair to say this lot is the best in the last 15 years though, low though that bar is.

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Clarkes basically admitting in that quote you put up that he's clueless. He's got to go.

I don't have an issue with him wanting to investigate what went wrong before jumping to conclusions in public press conferences. 

7 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

What's you basis for thinking that we weren't prepared? Is it just because we didn't win?

No,We didn't learn from previous mistakes like I said before the Croatia game was very similar to the Ukraine game yet the tactics were the same from Scotland.We got over run in the middle of the park and played 2 up top,it was even worse in the Croatia game because we all know about Modric but we still gave him the freedom of Hampden.To go into the Ukraine game with the same tactics was unforgivable M8,the Armenian game we should be able to do anything we want because it's very simple we've got better players,the Irish game was always going to be a British style high energy game we never got out of second gear.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

No,We didn't learn from previous mistakes like I said before the Croatia game was very similar to the Ukraine game yet the tactics were the same from Scotland.We got over run in the middle of the park and played 2 up top,it was even worse in the Croatia game because we all know about Modric but we still gave him the freedom of Hampden.To go into the Ukraine game with the same tactics was unforgivable M8,the Armenian game we should be able to do anything we want because it's very simple we've got better players,the Irish game was always going to be a British style high energy game we never got out of second gear.

Well the Armenian fans said they got their tactics all wrong after they lost to Scotland and the Irish fans said Stephen Kenny got his tactics all wrong when they lost to Armenia and Ukraine. 🤷‍♂️ The tactics, substitutions, formation are always raised  as reasons for where it went wrong after a defeat. I just would rather trust the judgement of a football manager instead of people on a football forum.

5 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Well the Armenian fans said they got their tactics all wrong after they lost to Scotland and the Irish fans said Stephen Kenny got his tactics all wrong when they lost to Armenia and Ukraine. 🤷‍♂️ The tactics, substitutions, formation are always raised  as reasons for where it went wrong after a defeat. I just would rather trust the judgement of a football manager instead of people on a football forum.

I'm not in the Clarke out camp M8,he said he is convinced we would get to another major tournament I still believe that.But he must learn from his mistakes and prepare his players better for each challenge ahead.It's too easy to throw the toys out the pram for every defeat but it's also too easy to say we were beaten by the better team.

The idea that this is the best squad for 30 years is absurd. Look back at the players from the past 30 years, who would walk into this team.

Has anyone said this is the best squad in 30 years? It clearly isn’t, 1996/1998 was far stronger.
It’s certainly the best squad in 20 years though.
And we are still getting pumped by a rubbish Ireland team.

1 hour ago, justinjest said:

who are the forward players that Scotland have, who will make a difference?

I can't think of any Scottish players who have troubled Celtic this season.

The 3 highest placed Scottish players in last season's SPL were Bruce Anderson, Livingston (I had to look him up, as never heard of him before), Lewis Ferguson (how many penalties?)& Tony Watt.

Does anyone think any of them would improve the team?

I have never liked Clarke as a manager - I think he destroys football, but I can't see anybody else improving things due to the lack of playing quality that we have.

The SPL doesn't exist and hasn't existed for over a decade now.

The national team are allowed to pick players who don't play in Scotland though.

Also, who has claimed this is the best squad in 30 years?

14 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

You are right in what you say, but why descend to cheap, sweary ad hominem? Makes you look pretty weak when your argument is quite strong.

It's what happens on the TA threads.

I've been called worse stuff on here than anywhere else on the whole site.  It's a bit weird, given that we're all kinda on the same team, but it's definitely the case.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's what happens on the TA threads.

I've been called worse stuff on here than anywhere else on the whole site.  It's a bit weird, given that we're all kinda on the same team, but it's definitely the case.

TA section has upped its game since the juniors all but died.

Edited by Crawford Bridge