Time to go Steve Clarke

10 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Kenny Miller was utter shite.

I have a couple of question for those banging on about the performances.

Could you remind me when international football wasn't a turgid shitfest?

Isn't international football just about getting results and qualifying for tournaments?

You could say that about the game at any level, surely?

Occasionally amongst all of the scrabbling about for points and desperately trying not to get beaten, a game of football sometimes breaks out. Happens about as often in international football as any other IME.

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Miller did not score nearly as many Scotland goals as he should have.

Had he been a better finisher, we wouldn't have gone so long without qualifying for tournaments.

If we could have combined the best parts of Kenny Miller's game with Kris Boyd's we'd probably have had our all time top goalscorer. 

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Miller missed four chances for every goal he scored.

That's actually pretty good. I'm sure I remember a quote from a top striker about how they missed ten chances for every one that went in. Lineker, maybe?

There's no getting away from the fact that Miller's still one of Scotland's best strikers in the past, say, forty years or so. Our dearth of goalscoring options has been pretty remarkable for a long time, and nobody seems to have any idea why.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That's actually pretty good. I'm sure I remember a quote from a top striker about how they missed ten chances for every one that went in. Lineker, maybe?

Sure that was one of the English ones who died recently, Greaves maybe?

Sure it was something about the most important part being getting the chances, 50% of the time he'd miss the target, 25% of the time the keeper would save it, 25% of the time he'd score, so all he had to focus on was getting 4 chances a match and he'd more than likely get a goal, 10 chances and they'd have a hat trick.

The only worse thing than a striker missing more than they score is a striker who doesn't score at all.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sure that was one of the English ones who died recently, Greaves maybe?

Sure it was something about the most important part being getting the chances, 50% of the time he'd miss the target, 25% of the time the keeper would save it, 25% of the time he'd score, so all he had to focus on was getting 4 chances a match and he'd more than likely get a goal.

The only worse thing than a striker missing more than they score is a striker who doesn't score at all.

Aye, that was it, something about how if you kept turning up in the right places, eventually one would go in and everyone would forget the ones you missed.

If it was Greaves, he must have had a chance every few minutes considering how many he scored!  :lol:

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, that was it, something about how if you kept turning up in the right places, eventually one would go in and everyone would forget the ones you missed.

If it was Greaves, he must have had a chance every few minutes considering how many he scored!  :lol:

You can get in as much of the right places as you want but you've got to put the ball in the net. 

Miller was good if he had no time to think. Not much composure at all when slipped through though. 

Looked like he was going to be brilliant too. Especially after the goal against Germany (I think?) From a quick Colin Cameron free kick 

Just now, ancientnoise said:

Also calling Miller "shite" is just nonsense.

At times he lacked the composure and technique required, that's true, but he also burst a gut in a Scotland shirt every game. And there were some great moments:

"That's the value of quality"

He wasn't great, he played alot because we had very poor forwards. Prime Kenny Miller would probably still be a first choice player for us certainly squad player at least.

But technically he wasn't great, he missed alot and had very little composure. In the top level in England he couldn't hack it at all. Miles out his depth.

He certainly tried very hard and turned up to every squad. A good guy, but not a great player.

FFS this thread.  Now Kenny Miller was shite.  You can be a solid pro, better than average, the best in your country but not the top level and still be a good player.  Shite?  My bollocks he was shite.  

Kenny Miller wasn't the reason why we didn't qualify for tournaments.  If we had 3 or 4 more that was his level across the park, we would have come a lot closer.

On 15/10/2021 at 15:47, lubo_blaha said:

I’d say Adams is a better English premier league striker than Miller ever was. Would be looking for more goals from him internationally but his performances have been pretty good.

Not having that.

I'd take a prime Kenny Miller over Che Adams every day of the week.  

Kenny Miller wasn't shite. That's a pile of pish. His goal scoring record was also only a part of his game. His hold up play and general nuisance value were excellent. I recall the game against Italy in 2005 where he was MOTM with Cannavaro and Nesta  finding him unplayable. Now aye, he had his flaws, he wasn't that prolific (but he had a handy knack of scoring against top teams) and you wouldn't back him in a one on one with the keeper, but this revisionism is just edgelord pish.

Towards the end of his career he was pretty poor. I recall the home game against Serbia where he looked utterly finished at this level, but I was delighted for him to get his goal against England as he deserved to finish his international career on a bit of a high.

Kenny Miller - the type of player that defenders' hate but goalkeepers' love.

Not sure who described him as that but found it quite apt.

Lots of endeavour, selfless running for 90 mins, pulling defenders all over the place but end product of varying quality. That all said, I liked him, he scored some very important goals for Scotland and in his prime, would be happy to see him in the current team. 

Edited by KingRocketman II

I don't remember there being many complaints about Miller being picked until he went over to MLS, which meant that he was finished in a lot of folk's minds. Seemed like a lot of folk were furious that he was still getting called up, probably because Jordan Rhodes was scoring for fun.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I was meaning in the EPL specifically.

I mean it too. He played in the worst team in that leagues history. They came up too quickly and weren’t backed. If a prime Kenny Miller plays in this league now, he out scores Che Adams for fun. Probably better players than him too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2021 at 09:08, BingMcCrosby said:

Overall performances and results have been poor.

We managed to get to this tournament by an excellent draw with serbia. A game we should have won in the 90mins. That along with the England game is our only good performances under Clarke.

Hes produced some good performances when our backs to the wall. But thats it. He's unable to win games at home, we always look like the away team.

He got us to a tournament for the first time in 23 years, but we were not good. 2 home games and 0 points, its unforgivable.

Hes already made a terrible start to the next qualifying. Its time we parted ways, hes never going to be a good manager for us.

Last night as Souness says was dark ages stuff. Also the wrong team and tactics. 

But the worst thing of all was the reluctance to change things. We were on top in spells for the first half. Croatia started to control the game and we left the players out there to rot. Rather than freshen things up and get back at them. 

The changes were to litte to late and now were out. Arguably the worst team in the tournament.

Yes turkey and North Macedonia lost all 3 games, but neither played a home game. And we played 2. 

Nothing against the guy, I want every scotland manager to succeed. But its been poor overall. It really has.

Strachan when we went deserved to go, but he had the team playing better than this. Were going nowhere.

5 games later and on the brink of the playoffs 😂