Time to go Steve Clarke

The performances are dire a lot of the time, but it's a results driven business.

I don't think we'll qualify, but I also can't rule him out. The odds were always going to be stacked against us. There are going to be some quality teams in the playoffs. But we definitely need better performances to stand a chance.

On 10/10/2021 at 13:41, Scary Bear said:

What do the stats firm reckon now?

~15% (after the Faroes)

https://twitter.com/We_Global/status/1448054055398428678

By getting to the playoffs we would effectively be in a cup semi-final, but we would be underdogs against most of the teams that are likely to be in the draw. That drags what would be a 25% chance if all of the teams were the same standard down to 15%. Getting seeded would help a bit - home advantage in the semi, and would mean avoiding any big hitters that might drop into 2nd (e.g. Spain) in that round.

Edited by JamesM82

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

I am in the camp of not being a Stevie Clarke fan, but he seems to be a lucky manager. Long may it continue. 

Careful mate you seem to have the exact same opinion as me.

1 hour ago, S7C said:

The performances are dire a lot of the time, but it's a results driven business.

I don't think we'll qualify, but I also can't rule him out. The odds were always going to be stacked against us. There are going to be some quality teams in the playoffs. But we definitely need better performances to stand a chance.

The top part is correct, and I dont see any signs of progress. Were still struggling majorly to beat average and poor teams. I dont think we have improved at all against the good teams ie Denmark.

I was all for Steve Clarke when he was first appointed, (despite some folk thinking otherwise). But its the performances, were still a rabble. Still stuck to this one and only formation no matter what.

The other point is, this is the best group of players we have had in a long long time. So he should be judged to a higher standard. Is Steve going to get the best out of them? Not for me.

Has he done well since the euros?

Well results have improved, performances meh. One good half in Austria.

Could someone else have achieved the same or better results and performances?

Of course they could.

We are one game away from finishing second in the WCQ for the first time in near twenty years, not only that with a game to spare too. 

To put that down to luck is utterly laughable. There is nothing to be complaining about here. We have been saying for years, take four points from the sides around us and beat the low seeds - we have done exactly that and still people are unhappy. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

We are one game away from finishing second in the WCQ for the first time in near twenty years, not only that with a game to spare too. 

To put that down to luck is utterly laughable. There is nothing to be complaining about here. We have been saying for years, take four points from the sides around us and beat the low seeds - we have done exactly that and still people are unhappy. 

Were also had a very favourable draw, the groups is about as good as we could have got.

And as I said, with a group of players which is the best we have had in a long time.

We all want the best for Scotland and for Scotland to do well and qualify for tournaments.

I dont think Clarke is doing a bad job, id just like to see better performances from us more consistently. Instead of one poor half and one good half. I think we could be playing better. I dont think that's to controversial to say that.

19 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Were also had a very favourable draw, the groups is about as good as we could have got.

And as I said, with a group of players which is the best we have had in a long time.

We all want the best for Scotland and for Scotland to do well and qualify for tournaments.

I dont think Clarke is doing a bad job, id just like to see better performances from us more consistently. Instead of one poor half and one good half. I think we could be playing better. I dont think that's to controversial to say that.

I don’t disagree with most of that, we can be consistently better and there is plenty of room for growth in this side however we have already seen big improvements. 

I would say it was a middling draw in terms of difficulty!

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I don’t disagree with most of that, we can be consistently better and there is plenty of room for growth in this side however we have already seen big improvements. 

I would say it was a middling draw in terms of difficulty!

The bold bit is where we disagree, ill be honest I'm working away on nights so didn't actually see last nights game. So im only going on what was said on here and in the media. But getting outplayed by the faroes in the first half isn't an improvement for me. And generally I don't watch us and see us improving game by game.

Hopefully im wrong 🤷‍♂️

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

The bold bit is where we disagree, ill be honest I'm working away on nights so didn't actually see last nights game. So im only going on what was said on here and in the media. But getting outplayed by the faroes in the first half isn't an improvement for me. And generally I don't watch us and see us improving game by game.

Hopefully im wrong 🤷‍♂️

Under McCleish we were an utter shambles and all over the place in every single way. At the moment we have very poor periods in games, but always tend to pull it back. As you say, this needs to improve - we have possibly had three 90 minute performances under Clarke. 

It is strangely amusing.

It is not SSC's fault there is a shortage of forwards

BUT the defence is still a problem after all this time.

The Tierney , Robertson " problem " appears solved , the RWB  problem might be solved but there is now a Hendry , McTominay , McGregor problem

Edited by Ewan8472

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Genuinely, some c***s are only happy when Scotland fail, and when we do have a crumb of success they need to downplay it

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Genuinely, some c***s are only happy when Scotland fail, and when we do have a crumb of success they need to downplay it

No , it is absolutely brilliant we are one game away from finishing second in the group but if we do then we will have to improve for the play offs !

17 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

The bold bit is where we disagree, ill be honest I'm working away on nights so didn't actually see last nights game. So im only going on what was said on here and in the media. But getting outplayed by the faroes in the first half isn't an improvement for me. 

We lost 3-0 away to the fifth seeds in our last qualification group. 

3 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

It's actually 24 years since we finished in the top two of a World Cup group. 

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

🤡 

many of us have the ability to consider the issue with a little more nuance than what you and some others are suggesting. We have a talented squad of players that should be more cohesive than what we are currently seeing - our performances should be far better than what we are regularly getting. Long may the winning run continue but this should go hand in hand with improved performances. It is not. Israel first half, last night, two games in the Euros, Austria at home, the games immediately following qualification - all pretty poor or at best patchy performances following a very good performance. Why is that happening and why can't it be addressed? It would seem a clear and continuing failure on the manager's part. 

That is why questions remain of the manager and that is why there continues to be (from what I can see), a measured debate in line with that. If scraping results every now and again to keep us in contention is what keeps you happy then that is fine. With this squad of players we have, I consider we shouldn't be having to do that and am happy to contribute to any debate in line with that.  

16 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

many of us have the ability to consider the issue with a little more nuance than what you and some others are suggesting. We have a talented squad of players that should be more cohesive than what we are currently seeing - our performances should be far better than what we are regularly getting. Long may the winning run continue but this should go hand in hand with improved performances. It is not. Israel first half, last night, two games in the Euros, Austria at home, the games immediately following qualification - all pretty poor or at best patchy performances following a very good performance. Why is that happening and why can't it be addressed? It would seem a clear and continuing failure on the manager's part. 

That is why questions remain of the manager and that is why there continues to be (from what I can see), a measured debate in line with that. If scraping results every now and again to keep us in contention is what keeps you happy then that is fine. With this squad of players we have, I consider we shouldn't be having to do that and am happy to contribute to any debate in line with that.  

Except we aren’t “scraping results to keep us in contention” We have a game against the bottom seed to win to comfortably qualify for the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

we are certainly currently scraping results to keep us in contention for qualification. 

Stating to keep us in contention implies we are scrambling about trying to keep pace with second - not that we are clear in second place. 

As far as I’m concerned, it’s hard to be overly critical of our manager when we are currently on a 4 match winning streak. Can the performances be a lot better? Sure, but we’re doing enough right now.

2 months ago my take was completely different, but it’s a results driven business we are in, and recently we have been getting results.

We’ve been much improved in the second halves of our last 2 matches, which shows while he may not be getting things right from kick off, Clarke is able to adapt and turn the game in our favour.