Time to go Steve Clarke

42 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's more directed in general to other other viewers of the thread. Ultimately, you will want him gone soon enough as I'm not sure he will live up to your lofty ideas of where we should be.

For lofty ideas read putting out a team set up correctly with a modicum of in game management

6 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

For lofty ideas read putting out a team set up correctly with a modicum of in game management

What did you think was wrong with the team set up and in game management? I thought it was reasonable. It's nothing to do with the team set up and in-game management - you just think we have a right to pump Moldova 4 or 5 nil, but we don't really do we?

Edited by 2426255

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

What did you think was wrong with the team set up and in game management? I thought it was reasonable.

Oh am not just referring to last night's abject display. Since Serbia we've been dire and I still don't forgive him for the Euros calamity. Gubbed twice? At Hampden? With that squad? Pathetic. Just pathetic and the same attitude was well in evidence last night.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Don't have much issue with the rest of your post but I don't think we should be moving away from 5 at the back regardless of opposition.

International coaches don't get much time to work on their system with players. IMO he should be using his preferred system where possible to make sure all the players have a proper understanding of it.

We should move away from 5 at the back against all opposition, because we've been consistently shite playing it and need to find a system that will get the best out of players, which this clearly doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Oh am not just referring to last night's abject display. Since Serbia we've been dire and I still don't forgive him for the Euros calamity. Gubbed twice? At Hampden? With that squad? Pathetic. Just pathetic and the same attitude was well in evidence last night.

You sound pretty bitter and frustrated with the whole thing, maybe if you didn't set such lofty expectations that would solve it? or maybe you need a break from following the national team?

8 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

You sound pretty bitter and frustrated with the whole thing, maybe if you didn't set such lofty expectations that would solve it? or maybe you need a break from following the national team?

Am neither. I am very disappointed because there's potential in this squad and its being wasted. Oh am aware we're  stuck with the situation till 2024 but am keeping shtum till Tuesday night. Its the hope that gets you

Edited by Ken Deans
Didnt finish.

21 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Am neither. I am very disappointed because there's potential in this squad and its being wasted. Oh am aware we're  stuck with the situation till 2024 but am keeping shtum till Tuesday night. Its the hope that gets you

We're doing fine, take it easy and relax Ken.

47 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

We should move away from 5 at the back against all opposition, because we've been consistently shite playing it and need to find a system that will get the best out of players, which this clearly doesn't.

I kind of agree but it's also hard looking at the players available to us both in this squad and on the fringes to see what other shape might suit better. If you move to a 4-4-2 / 4-2-3-1  /4 -3-3 who are your wingers or wide forwards? Fraser and Forrest? or one of the full backs being pushed forward? Or one of the 8 million centre mids we have stuck out wide? 

I kind of agree but it's also hard looking at the players available to us both in this squad and on the fringes to see what other shape might suit better. If you move to a 4-4-2 / 4-2-3-1  /4 -3-3 who are your wingers or wide forwards? Fraser and Forrest? or one of the full backs being pushed forward? Or one of the 8 million centre mids we have stuck out wide? 
Circa 2018 and on our way to winning the NL, 4231 seemed a perfect fit for us with Forrest and Fraser on the wings. Of course, that bubble was well and truly burst in Kazakhstan, but that's not to say we couldn't bring that formation back.

4 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I think its about making sure we arent welded to a system that has worked fleetingly at best.

I'm not suggesting we should change systems every game, but 50% of our qualifying games tend to be against teams we should be beating if we want to qualify for things. That objective shouldnt be beyond this group of players. 

Having a plan that makes us more of a threat and more controlling in those games is crucial. We dont have one, thats the gripe I have.

Last night we played against Moldova the same we did against Denmark and will again against Austria. I get we need to get players comfortable in that system, but we need at the very least a different option in terms of shape for certain games.

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Five at the back is too negative against diddy teams and means you surrender control of the midfield against good teams. It is absolute w**k. I'd rather give Robertson a try on the wing than stick with the awful five at the back.

Dont disagree. But if we are putting anyone in that LW role, Id have Tierney over Robertson. Tierney is bit better facing players up and with his back to goal, Robertson almost needs the momentum of an overlap to get past players. Tierney is probably the more rounded player as well.

Just for the love of god not Robertson at RWB again!

Maybe, was just thinking back to the Euros and that Robertson was often our most dangerous attacking  threat, at left back. He could be much more influential in the game if we played him further forward and we don't lose anything at the back by trying it as Tierney is an excellent left back. You'd think Moldova at home would be an ideal opportunity to test a more attacking formation but sadly the manager doesn't agree.

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Five at the back is too negative against diddy teams and means you surrender control of the midfield against good teams. It is absolute w**k. I'd rather give Robertson a try on the wing than stick with the awful five at the back.

I think this is the issue. It does work for some teams, Chelsea have done well with it for example, but they have exceptional midfielders. We don’t have a proper shithouse who won’t give the opposition a minutes peace and is willing to stick the boot in. McGinn comes closest to that but for whatever reason we can’t get a tune out of him when he plays deeper like he does for Villa. We have a lot of tidy, ball-playing midfielders, plus McTominay as a box-to-box option, but it isn’t enough out of possession.

I still think 5 at the back can have its uses but as we’ve seen since the Serbia game it isn’t working for us right now. We sit too deep and ask the midfield to do too much. Going for a back 4 with Tierney at right back has got to be worth another try than persisting with this pish.