Time to go Steve Clarke

I've been saying for years that we need to work on getting some regens like Ronaldo (either variant) when they retire.

Edit: sorry, thought I was in the Championship Manager thread.

Edited by BFTD

Can't even blame the players there. They did everything they could to the best of their abilities. The subs were baffling. Taking Gilmour off was terrible. He was the heartbeat of that side. I've not seen a player in my lifetime of the national side sweep passes around like the way he does. Class act.

I'm embarrassed by that 2nd half tonight. That's down to Clarke 

I don’t really know what to make of Clarke tbh.

On one hand, his tactics are sometimes effective, and he does have the ability to change a game with them.

Problem is, this normally happens because he’s gone with the completely wrong setup at the start.

The other thing is I really don’t enjoy watching his teams. They aren’t fun. They aren’t teams that you can really get behind and believe in. They don’t play good football. When they aren’t getting results, there’s absolutely nothing to like about his Scotland sides.

I definitely wouldn’t have extended him, but I’m not sure if I’d sack him either. I do think his approach has a shelf life though, and we might be closer to the end of his tenure than the start.

Can't even blame the players there. They did everything they could to the best of their abilities. The subs were baffling. Taking Gilmour off was terrible. He was the heartbeat of that side. I've not seen a player in my lifetime of the national side sweep passes around like the way he does. Class act.
I'm embarrassed by that 2nd half tonight. That's down to Clarke 
Dunno. Gilmour was very good in the first half but the second half lacked any sort of rhythm. We had lost a bit of control at that point and that was a big part of Gilmour's role in the team. It was the right time to sub him off IMO.

Rant time.

Ivr been to most home games since the late 90s and that was one of the most infuriating games Ive been at since the Levein days, and it was all down to the manager.

f**k sake, 5 at the back against fucking Moldova? Going to a 5-4-1 for the last 10 mins with Turnbull at right mid to protect a 1 goal lead at gome to fucking Moldova?!!

Our entire system is set up not to lose. It doesnt work in games we need to go win or in any sort of attacking sense. The right hand side of our team is such a non entity because we are asking a full back to be both full back and winger without the support Tierney offers on the left.

Going into the Euros he shook up the midfield with one deeper and two more advanced either side. It doesnt work and it has made McGinn go MIA for 90% of the games since the change. We had success with McGinn attacking from deep with Chrstie or Fraser buzzing about Dykes. Now we have two static attackers upfront that offer very little. Thats all down to how Clarke is setting the team up.

The most worrying thing for me is that Clarke and the coaches had a good month with the players during the Euros and England game aside weve been pish. The last two games weve went years backwards in my opinion.

This is a talented group of players and Clarke just isnt getting anything from them right now. And his stubberness and lack of plan B or different tactics for more winnable games is going to cost us. Yes, we won, but that was a shite performance and they could easily have sucker punched us for a draw.

As much as I really, really like the guy and want him to do well. Hes a loss in Austria away from me being firmly in the Clarke out camp.

Thank f**k Im sober because Id be having a full meltdown tonight if I was pished.

Edited by Jacky1990

Depressingly, I'm at the point of thinking that this is as good as it's going to get with Clarke. Didn't think we were doing as badly as a lot of folk seem to, and I thought there was slow improvement until we qualified for the Euros, but the performances either side of the tournament have been poor and seem to be getting worse, if anything. Maybe we'll somehow pull something out of the locker in a few days, but it would be a big change of form.

And nothing's going to change until 2024.

On 03/09/2021 at 17:06, Monkey Tennis said:

It's not a question of highlighting 'no marks' in suggesting we should have a better recent record against Israel.

It's a reflection of the fact that they're ranked below us and have no history of qualifying for tournaments.  During the spell when they've caused us problems, they've not had many other good results.

Still hold that view no doubt? Or maybe now your view is that they're both shite and that Scotland are missing a trick with a group including a poor Austria side that got skelped off Israel and the no marks that are Israel themselves.

9 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Still hold that view no doubt? Or maybe now your view is that they're both shite and that Scotland are missing a trick with a group including a poor Austria side that got skelped off Israel and the no marks that are Israel themselves.

Why are you doing this across two threads?

A very impressive result for Israel that does indeed cast our point there, in a better light.  I don't think the evening as  whole, however, makes your enthusiastic defence of Clarke look more rational.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

By this logic, we shouldn't really bother with coaches or managers at all.

Well how can you blame Steve Clarke for Billy Gilmours miss as an example? I'm not sure you'll ever be happy mate and it's probably becuase your expectations are way off the mark.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

What was your issue with Steve Clarke in this game?

5 at the back at home to Moldova.

Going 5-4-1 against Moldova to protect a 1-0 lead at home.

Not realising 2 up top hasnt worked in the 5 or 6 games hes tried it. A main striker with a Fraser or Christie around them with McGinn coming from deep worked. No idea why hes changed it. 

The midfield set up which has resulted in McGinn being anonymous for the past 5 or 6 games.

Ryan Christie playing the past 180 minutes and offering less than f**k all while Turnbull gets a few minutes at right mid.

His substitutions in general make us worse 99% of the time since he took charge. Tonight was no different.

The complete non entity that is our right hand side.

His lack of Plan B.

5 at the back at home to fucking Moldova.

Telling the media afterwards we played on the front foot. Did we bollocks.

The only good things tonight were the win (which should be a given), Billy Gilmour looking several steps ahead of his teammates, Hanley continuing to look decent and Pattersnm showing some good promise. Pish in every other aspecr.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Steve Clarke can't put the ball in the back of the net, we could have won 3 - 0 fairly easily. What was your issue with Steve Clarke in this game?

You’re happy with making defensive subs in the second half to see out a 1-0 win against Moldova? When our position could quite easily come down to goal difference?

55 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You’re happy with making defensive subs in the second half to see out a 1-0 win against Moldova? When our position could quite easily come down to goal difference?

I don’t think the subs were as defensive as you are making out and weren’t just to see the game out, he brought off players to rest them a bit for Tuesday.

Adams for Nisbet was a straight swap, Cooper for Robbo let Tierney move to the left and try to get forward more. McGinn was always coming off after having been out with Covid. I didn’t think the subs were that bad.

Our problem, and it will remain so on Tuesday, is that we simply don’t have a striker that can regularly score goals. I think that’s why McPhee/Naismith have come in, to work on it, but as mentioned on another thread, there’s only so much you can do with the limited time they have to train with them and they should be working on this with their clubs. 

51 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It's always disappointing to see our team adopt more defensive tactics, but I understood it in terms of resting key players for Austria. We had sufficient time and chances in the first 65 minutes to have buried the game and the players didn't quite manage it and so I think the focus shifted to resting key players and getting the three points which is okay. 

I didn't think Moldova were too bad.