Time to go Steve Clarke

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:
  • Our current goal is to reach a World Cup Play off place which we are in a good position to do. 

I'm not sure many would agree with you on that part.

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

We haven’t been pot 4 since the 2016 qualifiers.

Pot 4 in the seeding for Euro 2020.

image.png.70767912e92ae8e153f26eb41017eba8.png

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm not sure many would agree with you on that part.

Really? why not?

image.thumb.png.0ee5276ae7ee4a070c52e87329bd6ae5.png 

Just now, 2426255 said:

Really? why not?

It was well discussed on here at the time, but we've already dropped points to the fourth seeds (again) and could only draw at home again the second seeds, who we'll need to finish ahead of. Quite a few folk thought we were virtually out already, as we need to either overperform by a fair bit, or hope that Denmark or (likely) Austria f**k up.

I'm not quite as defeatist as that, but they do have a point, and showing us as second in the current table is almost as meaningless as if we were top after picking up nine points from the Faeroes and Moldova.

The games versus Israel and Austria are very important, there's no denying that. It's likely a straight shootout between three teams for 2nd place. The point I'm trying to make here is that we all want to get 2nd place, but that's not the same as saying it's a failure if we don't get second place because we are expected to be in third place.

This is where I believe the difference of opinion comes in, some people seem to think we have the squad of a Pot 2 team and so whenever we finish 3rd in a group or 4th at the Euros and the reality of the situation clashes with their world view we get calls for the manager to go. We're still in there will a shout for second place and it wouldn't take a miracle for that to happen, but equally it might not happen.

It's all about expectations really and to say the qualifying is over before even the halfway point of the group and that the manager has to go sums up some of the knee jerk negative and fickle views on here. Yes Bing, I'm still looking in your direction. 😂

Edited by 2426255

On 27/08/2021 at 13:22, BFTD said:

It was well discussed on here at the time, but we've already dropped points to the fourth seeds (again) and could only draw at home again the second seeds, who we'll need to finish ahead of. Quite a few folk thought we were virtually out already, as we need to either overperform by a fair bit, or hope that Denmark or (likely) Austria f**k up.

I'm not quite as defeatist as that, but they do have a point, and showing us as second in the current table is almost as meaningless as if we were top after picking up nine points from the Faeroes and Moldova.

What I find confusing is people who think its unrealistic for us to beat the Czechs at home.

But realistic to beat Austria away.

12 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

What I find confusing is people who think its unrealistic for us to beat the Czechs at home.

But realistic to beat Austria away.

It's realistic to win, lose or draw against the Czech Republic at home in a similar way that it is realistic to win, lose or draw away against Austria. It's not black and white - everything has a context. It's silly to expect to beat the Czech Republic at home just like it's silly to expect to lose in Austria. They are typically tight games with fine margins. Certainly not games to betting your house on.

The Czech Republic game at the Euros could very easily have swung Scotland's way and then the narrative is completely different - balance, that's the point.

Edited by 2426255

It’s likely we won’t even be 3rd by the end of the night...

Yep. Bottom half of a group of six teams. Still, surely we will finish above Israel. Won’t we?

Real question marks over Clarke now. His tactics in first half were amateur beyond belief. Oooh I have a wee surprise, well fuk off Clarke, Robertson can't play right wing back. Also, not changing personnel earlier.. He won two penalty shootouts and was hailed as the messiah, thats all he's done..and clearly doesn't learn from mistakes.
Shoogly Peg

I never saw the game unfortunately, but this was always a likely outcome. Some people need a reality check as to what they're expecting, our national football team isn't in the same position it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Moreover, it changes nothing as Israel and Austria are our direct competitors for the 2nd place playoff and always have been. Look at the upcoming fixtures, we could potentially be back in 2nd place at the halfway point on Saturday heading to Austria:

• 04/09/21: Scotland v Moldova, Israel v Austria.
  • 07/09/21: Austria v Scotland, Denmark v Israel.

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

I never saw the game unfortunately, but this was always a likely outcome. Some people need a reality check as to what they're expecting, our national football team isn't in the same position it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Moreover, it changes nothing as Israel and Austria are our direct competitors for the 2nd place playoff and always have been. Look at the upcoming fixtures, we could potentially be back in 2nd place at the halfway point on Saturday heading to Austria:

• 04/09/21: Scotland v Moldova, Israel v Austria.
  • 07/09/21: Austria v Scotland, Denmark v Israel.

Since the penalty shoot out win vs Serbia, we have played 9 competitive matches:

Lost away vs Slovakia

Lost away vs Israel

Drew at home vs Austria

Drew away vs Israel

Won at home vs Faroes

Lost at home vs Czech Rep

Drew away vs England

Lost at home vs Croatia

Lost away vs Denmark

You keep mentioning people's expectations, suggesting that they are unrealistic, but is it seriously unrealistic to expect better than the results above? A single win at home against the Faroes?

I don't think it's time to get rid of Clarke after an away defeat to Denmark as they are one of the toughest opponents in the world right now, but some of our play, particularly in the first half, was absolutely dreadful and we need to improve.

The feel good factor has well and truly disappeared following our Euro qualification and we need to think objectively about how the team are doing.

Who in that run of fixtures should we be expecting to beat outside of the Faroe Islands? Denmark obliterated better teams than Scotland, look at their results and performances against Wales, Russia and Austria as examples also why do people still think Israel are some tin pot side? 

Edited by 2426255

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Who in that run of fixtures should we be expecting to beat outside of the Faroe Islands? Denmark obliterated better teams than Scotland, look at their results and performances against Wales, Russia and Austria as examples.

I already commented that Denmark are one of the toughest opponents we could face right now. So if we discount the matches against them, England and Croatia - in 6 fixtures vs Slovakia, Israel x 2, Austria, Faroes and Czech Rep I don't think it is unrealistic to expect better than a solitary win.

Edited by AJF

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

Since the penalty shoot out win vs Serbia, we have played 9 competitive matches:

Lost away vs Slovakia

Lost away vs Israel

Drew at home vs Austria

Drew away vs Israel

Won at home vs Faroes

Lost at home vs Czech Rep

Drew away vs England

Lost at home vs Croatia

Lost away vs Denmark

You keep mentioning people's expectations, suggesting that they are unrealistic, but is it seriously unrealistic to expect better than the results above? A single win at home against the Faroes?

I don't think it's time to get rid of Clarke after an away defeat to Denmark as they are one of the toughest opponents in the world right now, but some of our play, particularly in the first half, was absolutely dreadful and we need to improve.

The feel good factor has well and truly disappeared following our Euro qualification and we need to think objectively about how the team are doing.

the draw against england was the only surprise for me, i think you may rate our squad too highly.

the draw against england was the only surprise for me, i think you may rate our squad too highly.

You really think that not beating Israel in two attempts is ok?