Time to go Steve Clarke

Bit harsh to say we've no chance of winning the group. Surely it's not completely outside of all possibility that we could scrape a goalless draw in Denmark, then shitfest a 1-0 at Hampden.

...but then we'd need to win in Moldova...alright, point taken.

Bit harsh to say we've no chance of winning the group. Surely it's not completely outside of all possibility that we could scrape a goalless draw in Denmark, then shitfest a 1-0 at Hampden.
...but then we'd need to win in Moldova...alright, point taken.

If we did draw in Denmark we’d still be four points behind them. Even if we did beat them at Hampden and won the rest of our games we’d still need them to drop points elsewhere for us to win the group. Given they’ve already won 4-0 in Vienna I’d say them dropping more points is fairly unlikely.
Nine points needed if we are going to win the group. Five, six or seven to give us a decent shot at second.

4 points is the minimum from the next round of matches to keep us in contention or even just 3 points if they come in Vienna. If we finish above Austria I think we will get 2nd place and we just can't lose the head to head against our direct rival for second spot Austria. It's realistic and achievable. If we want to win the group it would require a win in Denmark and good consistency elsewhere and we aren't at that level yet.

Our run of games across October and November are more winnable (in theory) with a home game against Israel and away games against Moldova and the Faroe Islands. I think setting points targets of 6, 7 or 9 points for the September games is unrealistic.

Edited by 2426255

Hopefully we see this guy begin to play consistently for both Newcastle and Scotland. He was good and direct when he came on against Croatia and the Czech Republic and has started Newcastle's pre season well!

4 points is the minimum from the next round of matches to keep us in contention or even just 3 points if they come in Vienna. 

You think we could finish second if we lose at home to Moldova?

Let’s be honest here, there is a majority of “Scotland supporters” who won’t be happy unless we have a squad full of players from the ugly sisters and a rotation of “good Celtic/sevco men” as managers!

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Let’s be honest here, there is a majority of “Scotland supporters” who won’t be happy unless we have a squad full of players from the ugly sisters and a rotation of “good Celtic/sevco men” as managers!

Is there?🤔Season 9 Idk GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm 

13 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Has no one else noticed that Denmark are actually a bloody good team? 

Realistically, taking anything from our games against them would be excellent, as evidenced by them demolishing Austria 4-0 in their own back yard. But if the ancient kingdom of Macedonia can turn over Ze Germans at their own gaff, anything's possible.

Let's be optimistic. If the team plays well and keeps concentration, who knows.

(two heavy defeats and a draw with Moldova it is)

On 25/07/2021 at 22:19, Merkland Red said:

Provan is an absolute arse, capable of producing bombastic bile on any subject.  He's suited to the Sun's mindless in-house style, which is clearly pitched at those with the reading age of young children.

He's not entirely wrong in everything he's saying here though.  The manager has had a relatively easy time of it thus far, given how the team has been doing.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Provan is an absolute arse, capable of producing bombastic bile on any subject.  He's suited to the Sun's mindless in-house style, which is clearly pitched at those with the reading age of young children.

He's not entirely wrong in everything he's saying here though.  The manager has had a relatively easy time of it thus far, given how the team has been doing.

I agree that the subject matter is fair but it didn't need anything like the amount of words or as you describe it, bile, in that article.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Apart from saying if we had beaten Croatia 1-0 we would have qualified having scored only 2 goals , I can't really see anything wrong with his assessment.

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The manager has had a relatively easy time of it thus far, given how the team has been doing.

Probably because a majority of fans thought his appointment was the correct one and he took us to our first tournament in 20 years. Strachan was given 4 years in the job, Clarke's had 2 and achieved more. He'll be given another qualifying campaign at least before proper calls for his head come I think.

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Probably because a majority of fans thought his appointment was the correct one and he took us to our first tournament in 20 years. Strachan was given 4 years in the job, Clarke's had 2 and achieved more. He'll be given another qualifying campaign at least before proper calls for his head come I think.

But at the same time, Clarke didn't take us to the tournament all by himself in its entirety.  He had a two game shootout (literally in the end) and got us there, which he obviously deserves credit for.  But putting taking us to a tournament on his achievements doesn't really tell the whole story for me.  

You're right about the next campaign though at the very least. I fully expect him to get another two to be honest, unless things go really tits up.  I don't think the World Cup is necessarily a reasonable target for us (at least not to sack someone over) but Euro 2024 in its current format is absolutely a sacking offence if we don't make it.  Maybe we should start moving managers to 4 year cycle contracts from Euro to Euro.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Real problem I have with Clarke is that he couldn't secure a win in Slovakia or Israel that would have near enough guaranteed us a world cup play off spot.

That failure is more relevant than his ability to win a couple of penalty shoot outs.

Serious question, have you actually enjoyed watching our performances since Clarke took over?

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Real problem I have with Clarke is that he couldn't secure a win in Slovakia or Israel that would have near enough guaranteed us a world cup play off spot.

That failure is more relevant than his ability to win a couple of penalty shoot outs.

Serious question, have you actually enjoyed watching our performances since Clarke took over?

I think there's been progress under Clarke and I have enjoyed a couple of matches. On the whole it's not great to watch and I feel Clarke could take a few risks more than he has but I'm happy with where we're at right now. We really need to kick on now though, the new system he's implemented is now familiar, we need to start seeing results.