Time to go Steve Clarke

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

There were two worrying aspects to Clarke.....his inability to learn from the Czech game, meaning that we were hopelessly unbalanced against Croatia. And a baffling unwillingness to change the side and/or tactics when it was obvious to all that things weren't right. 

It signifies a coach who lacks flexibility and the confidence to make vital changes at the right time. 

As pointed out elsewhere, his competitive game record with Scotland is pretty awful. He's effectively been saved by 2 penalty shoot out wins. 

Given that we blew our Nations League chance of getting to the world cup because the team couldn't concentrate after Serbia, Clarke's future depends on us finishing second in our qualifying group.....almost certainly that means taking something from the games against Denmark, and avoiding defeat in Austria. 

Thats what sealed it for me, sitting watching Croatia take over the game. Get stronger and stronger and literally do nothing about it.

I dont actually think we were doing anything wrong in terms of tactic or game plan.

The team were doing well if the first half for decent spells, but its 3 games in a short period of time. We needed to freshen up to press effectively again.

Why he waited so long, god only knows. He just didn't know what to do, so he did nothing. 

Weve already got one foot out the world Cup. Yet some want to give him the next euro qualifying after that as well. 

This thread is pointless because, unless Steve resigns (which also won't happen), he's our manager for the foreseeable. 

Yes, he has probably learned harsh lessons from this tournament but I see no reason to believe that we won't qualify for Qatar 2021,all it needs is a couple of big performances against Denmark and one against Austria. Hopefully he has learnt though that attacking formations lead to reward, we just need to start to defend and keep clean sheets on a regular basis! 

I really don't get some fans, their always moaning! 

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

This thread is pointless because, unless Steve resigns (which also won't happen), he's our manager for the foreseeable. 

Yes, he has probably learned harsh lessons from this tournament but I see no reason to believe that we won't qualify for Qatar 2021,all it needs is a couple of big performances against Denmark and one against Austria. Hopefully he has learnt though that attacking formations lead to reward, we just need to start to defend and keep clean sheets on a regular basis! 

I really don't get some fans, their always moaning! 

I like how you just slipped that part in.... 🙂 

21 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

we were at home against decent teams though.

But as i said , soem World cups group are extremely poor and low standard. a lot worse than we see in euros.

Pity it is a shite sight harder to qualify for the world cup!!!

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There were two worrying aspects to Clarke.....his inability to learn from the Czech game, meaning that we were hopelessly unbalanced against Croatia. And a baffling unwillingness to change the side and/or tactics when it was obvious to all that things weren't right. 

It signifies a coach who lacks flexibility and the confidence to make vital changes at the right time

As pointed out elsewhere, his competitive game record with Scotland is pretty awful. He's effectively been saved by 2 penalty shoot out wins. 

Given that we blew our Nations League chance of getting to the world cup because the team couldn't concentrate after Serbia, Clarke's future depends on us finishing second in our qualifying group.....almost certainly that means taking something from the games against Denmark, and avoiding defeat in Austria. 

I actually think there’s a lot of arrogance there as well. Some of his interviews are embarrassing and he comes across as a bit of a c**t.

People need to appreciate what Clarke inherited: an imbalanced and inexperienced squad shot of confidence, players calling off left right and centre, apathy from the fans, 10 failed campaigns, 3-0 defeats to Kazakhstan etc.

He’s created an environment that the players buy into, re-engaged the support, has at least been competitive against a range of nations our level and above, solved the Tierney/Robertson issue. You can question the play off route but he got us to our first tournament since 98. The progress can’t be questioned. Worth mentioning that it takes time to build a team in international football, especially with 10 months with no access to the players and triple headers limiting the time you have on the training pitch.

The Euro results were poor. We faced moments of brilliance/bad luck and we didn’t have an answer which is concerning. We lack quality at both ends of the pitch and we lacked the nous and tournament experience that our opponents had. I’m hoping (and expecting) that with a talented squad with time on their side that we can build on this and make it back for 2022, 24 and/or 26 and it would be ludicrous to go back to square one and have someone else try to lead us to that, at least at this stage.

17 hours ago, Empty It said:

Is it just me or are the majority of people wanting Clarke out OF fans who had a huge problem with him getting the job in the first place, most likely due to the fact he called them out for what they are bigots.

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yep, this is a big part in it too, which also permeates some of the media - see for example the screenshot posted above, which based on the font I think will be an article from The Athletic, written by one of their two blinkered OF-fanboys. Some classic "if you exclude the games where a thing happened, a thing didn't happen" arguments going on there.

If this thread is how you've based these opinions, would you care explaining how you've done so?

Having a quick look through and I can see more Non-OF fans wanting SC gone. I've seen more OF fans saying they wouldn't sack him and I've seen plenty of Non-OF fans say they'd sack him if we don't qualify for the QC.

So the only logical solution is you're basing this on stuff from elsewhere, or, you're making it up.

Edited by AJF

There are hardly any Old Firm fans on this forum, so it's definitely not based on this thread. However, if you look at any Scotland National Team, Sky Sports or BBC thread on Twitter, it's packed with mostly Rangers but also some Celtic fans expressing those kind of views.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There are hardly any Old Firm fans on this forum, so it's definitely not based on this thread. However, if you look at any Scotland National Team, Sky Sports or BBC thread on Twitter, it's packed with mostly Rangers but also some Celtic fans expressing those kind of views.

I see. And to clarify, non-OF fans wanting Clarke sacked are fine, but OF fans wanting him sacked are just seething at Steve Clarke? There's no other explanation?

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I see. And to clarify, non-OF fans wanting Clarke sacked are fine, but OF fans wanting him sacked are just seething at Steve Clarke? There's no other explanation?

All I said was that is the motivation for some people, which it definitely is.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

All I said was that is the motivation for some people, which it definitely is.

That statement is a far cry from the earlier one made which suggested the majority of Scotland fans wanting Clarke sacked were OF fans unhappy that Steve Clarke called them bigots.

Plenty of people seem to want Clarke sacked but none have come up with any names to replace him?

SFA will never sack him anyway, getting Scotland to the euros will be seen as major progress.

He will be our manager for the World Cup campaign and our Euro 2024 campaign unless he chooses to leave for a club job.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

That statement is a far cry from the earlier one made which suggested the majority of Scotland fans wanting Clarke sacked were OF fans unhappy that Steve Clarke called them bigots.

A statement which I didn't make.

3 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

We've landed an exceptionally easy qualifying group for the World Cup. This could be our best chance in decades. And we've made an awful start to it under Clarke.

Favourable ≠ exceptionally easy.

20 minutes ago, ftk said:

Plenty of people seem to want Clarke sacked but none have come up with any names to replace him?

SFA will never sack him anyway, getting Scotland to the euros will be seen as major progress.

He will be our manager for the World Cup campaign and our Euro 2024 campaign unless he chooses to leave for a club job.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaxPAqWujumRtEnvSvlFT

Best currently available.