Lowland League 2021-22 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

I guess its possible. It's Broomhill and EK in the Chair and Vice-Chair roles. Pretty sure the rest are from the more traditional EoS/SoS background if I remember right. There might well be contrasting opinions on things.
If it's true i'm sure we'll hear about it soon enough.
http://slfl.co.uk/lowland-league-agm-update/

From 2018 so probably changes since then. The previous chairman was Edinburgh University's Andrew Waddell but he was voted out in favour of George Fraser.

"The election returned George Fraser as Chairman, Dave McKenna of East Kilbride will serve as Vice Chairman while Tom Brown (Civil Service Strollers), Findlay Murray (The Spartans), and Andrew Waddell (Edinburgh University) will also sit on the board alongside its existing members"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9906849/Rangers-Celtics-colts-teams-involved-huge-row-concerning-future.html

Scotland's Lowland League has been plunged into turmoil over a new Celtic and Rangers colts row.

Clubs from the fifth tier of Scottish football voted to admit Old Firm B teams for one season at the end of May.

Despite Rangers B sitting second after seven games, with a game in hand that could take them top, however, the SFA have still to sign off the change of rules which gave the move the go-ahead.

And the Lowland League board now fear the plug could be pulled on the colts unless clubs vote to scrap the boundary rule covering sides relegated from the SPFL on Monday night.

Teams dropping out of League Two either go to the Highland or Lowland League depending on whether they play north or south of the River Tay.

Last season, however, a row broke out when Brechin City asked to play in the Lowland rather than Highland League.

Despite warnings from Hampden chiefs that rejection of Brechin's plea could see invitations to the Premier Sports and Challenge Cups withdrawn, SLFL clubs voted 'no' by a margin of 17-0.

Asked to vote on the boundary rule again on Monday night, the league board are split on whether to warn clubs of any threat to the colts or the promise to let them nominate their own team to participate in the pyramid play-off final if they say no once again.

Thomas Brown of Civil Service Strollers has stepped down from the board over the issue, with others expected to follow.

Brown told Sportsmail: 'I feel strongly that the Lowland League clubs should have been given all the information available to them ahead of the Special General Meeting next week.

'As the Board voted against this I feel this leaves a question mark over the integrity of the Board's decision.

'As a result I had no other option than to stand down with immediate effect.'

SFA sources have dismissed any suggestion of Celtic and Rangers colts teams being stopped from participating in the Lowland League unless the vote goes their way on Monday night, insisting the fears are without foundation.

With Rangers and Celtic B teams barred from promotion, however, the SPFL still have the option of blocking the highest placed non guest club from participating in the pyramid play-off.

So for some reason despite having the Highland Pyramid set up, the HL/LL boundary is apparently still an issue.

58 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9906849/Rangers-Celtics-colts-teams-involved-huge-row-concerning-future.html

So for some reason despite having the Highland Pyramid set up, the HL/LL boundary is apparently still an issue.

Seems an odd paper to get this story to publish. Is the writer a credible journalist and does he know much about Scottish football including the Lowland League.

I hope all the clubs who’ve voted to admit the Colts are hanging their heads in shame and Fraser banished out of the game.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

3 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

Seems an odd paper to get this story to publish. Is the writer a credible journalist and does he know much about Scottish football including the Lowland League.

I hope all the clubs who’ve voted to admit the Colts are hanging their heads in shame and Fraser banished out of the game.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Stephen McGowan is a name i've seen on different things. I don't read the Daily Mail or anything, it's just doing the rounds online. I'd say since it has quotes attributed to Tom Brown (CSS, the LL Board member that has resigned) it's legit.

Not sure if the takes on the Colts and HL/LL Boundary etc is some what muddled.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Stephen McGowan is a name i've seen on different things. I don't read the Daily Mail or anything, it's just doing the rounds online. I'd say since it has quotes attributed to Tom Brown (CSS, the LL Board member that has resigned) it's legit.

Not sure if the takes on the Colts and HL/LL Boundary etc is some what muddled.

Stephen McGowan is one of the best Scottish football journos out there. He tends to be pretty much spot on (and knowledgeable) about most things. He's not one of these guys who has just picked up an interest in the LL because it features the names Rangers and Celtic.

The best thing the LL could do is empty the colts and all those who support them. In four or five years time with a few clubs coming in (and a few dropping out), it could genuinely be one of the most competitive leagues in the country - with plenty of unique (and big) clubs all fighting for a place in the SPFL. It doesn't need gimmicky 'guest clubs'.

26 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

So in order to save his precious Colts, Fraser wants clubs to vote to remove the boundary line?

This could be great news if clubs vote against it.

The whole thing is so bloody random. Before this was made official George Fraser was meant to have sought assurances over introducing the colts from the SFA. This hasn't been confirmed. Which wouldn't surprise anyone that followed the Development League extension for 21s debacle this year.

It's just now the SFA are holding this over their heads...in order to change the HL/LL boundary 🧐

Brechin have been relegated. The Midlands, North Region, and NCL are part of the Highland Pyramid. In which case there shouldn't really be an issue over the boundary. Unless you're also ripping that all up again.

44 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

Amazing how quickly Fraser has tanked the reputation of the league and his club so he can sit next to someone in an Old Firm tie and hear "nice wee club you run here George"

Well if a vote of no confidence is proposed against Fraser on Monday he’ll be watching his football in the public parks at the weekends.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

22 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I guess its possible. It's Broomhill and EK in the Chair and Vice-Chair roles. Pretty sure the rest are from the more traditional EoS/SoS background if I remember right. There might well be contrasting opinions on things.

If it's true i'm sure we'll hear about it soon enough.

Might be helpful to have a chair and vice chair of clubs that have existed longer than five years, haven’t changed identities, and own their own grounds maybe.

4 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

Amazing how quickly Fraser has tanked the reputation of the league and his club so he can sit next to someone in an Old Firm tie and hear "nice wee club you run here George"

That’s one of the things I don’t understand. I thought GF was one of the good guys but he’s turned into something very different.

24 minutes ago, BS7 said:

That’s one of the things I don’t understand. I thought GF was one of the good guys but he’s turned into something very different.

Yeah, I'm the same - I think he was broadly pretty well thought of, but he has spectacularly misjudged this whole thing, and I think it happening alongside the BSC/Broomhill split (idk the ins and outs but it can't be massively off-base to say his running of the club without regard of the reason BSC was founded in the first place led to that) has really soured people on him. 

I've said before that my gut feeling is that Fraser, through his role on whatever development board he sits on with the SPFL (I'm blanking on the exact one), knows that colts are coming to the professional leagues, and he either wanted a bite of the pie for LL clubs beforehand, or he knows that the guys who introduce this idea will say it's a great thing regardless of how it turns out and he'll get plaudits for trialing it at tier 5 first. 

3 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

I've said before that my gut feeling is that Fraser, through his role on whatever development board he sits on with the SPFL (I'm blanking on the exact one), knows that colts are coming to the professional leagues, and he either wanted a bite of the pie for LL clubs beforehand, or he knows that the guys who introduce this idea will say it's a great thing regardless of how it turns out and he'll get plaudits for trialing it at tier 5 first. 

It's not a board, but a working group he ended up on. Tom Brown, aka the Board member that just left, is actually the LL rep on the Professional Game Board.

The Working Group came about at the start of this year. With George Fraser, Iain McMenemy (Stenhousemuir), Steve Brown (St Johnstone), Gerry Britton (Partick Thistle) and Stewart Roberston (Rangers). GF was also part of the SPFL discussions around reconstruction. So has had Rangers taking up a lot of the space in all the discussions.

The working group proposal was the 12-12-12-12 idea that got shot down by the SPFL.

He can't know that it's coming, given that it's not a decision that's within the power of that group to make, and every time it is proposed to the SPFL clubs they roundly batter the idea down before it even gets anywhere near a vote.

On 18/08/2021 at 18:42, AlansHotBath said:

Can see this issue becoming increasingly contentious as the season goes on. Clearly governing bodies are dead set on getting games played, even in situations like Falkirk had for their game against Cove. Personally I feel if both teams are happy to postpone there can't be that much of an issue with it. 

Different teams, different decision. 🤔

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Different teams, different decision. 🤔

Different teams means different circumstances which can equal different decisions. I know in the WoSFL if you pass a certain number of players out with proof of positive tests a postponement is allowed.