Lowland League 2021-22 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

Utterly predictable - but when half the league don't pay anything other than expenses, can they be blamed for trying to stay relevant at Tier 5 a wee while longer? That said, hope the next big Scottish draw for one of them is away to Golspie on a Monday night.

Edited by cmontheloknow

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Utterly predictable - but when half the league don't pay anything other than expenses, can they be blamed for trying to stay relevant at Tier 5 a wee while longer? That said, hope the next big Scottish draw for one of them is away to Golspie on a Monday night.

What has what clubs pay got to do with anything?

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They are small time social clubs artificially two or three tiers above where they would be based on ability, and their budget reflects that.

I am all for a sensible and reasoned debate, but the use of some sort of superiority complex over these clubs based on what they pay and their budgets is not relevant here imo.

20 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I am all for a sensible and reasoned debate, but the use of some sort of superiority complex over these clubs based on what they pay and their budgets is not relevant here imo.

I think it's valid to point out that perhaps half of the Lowland League are currently a level or two above where they really should be.  Not their fault of course as they helped create the league when the Juniors stood by and watched,  but now is the time to increase promotion/relegation opportunities to help achieve a reasonably balanced Pyramid a bit quicker than one promotion spot allows.  Anything else is self-interest.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I think it's valid to point out that perhaps half of the Lowland League are currently a level or two above where they really should be.  Not their fault of course as they helped create the league when the Juniors stood by and watched,  but now is the time to increase promotion/relegation opportunities to help achieve a reasonably balanced Pyramid a bit quicker than one promotion spot allows.  Anything else is self-interest.

I agree with you, but I’m not one for trying to belittle clubs based on their finances, everyone works hard to keep their respective clubs going.

I am not sure what the solution is with this, something needs to give somewhere.

Edited by Pyramid Watcher

7 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I agree with you, but I’m not one for trying to belittle clubs based on their finances, everyone works hard to keep their respective clubs going.

I am not sure what the solution is with this, something needs to give somewhere.

I agree, finance is immaterial, if you're good enough, you're good enough.

The solution is for 9 LL clubs to vote for increased promotion/relegation places and the LL board should be driving that, but then again all the board will have skin in the game as well.

The day has finally arrived. A few big topics on the agenda and some of the clubs make sure to communicate with their fans before making big decisions. Which should mean there's some sight over what the various proposals are.
Any chat about a national non league cup which seemed to be on the agenda you quoted?

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

No, see the new sponsor announcement photo (the chairman is Thomas). But looking at an old Twitter account he may well be Tom snr and it seems he's involved with CSS and an ex-LL board member. So they might've voted against a change (were they one of the bad guys as well?)

Pretty sure Tom Brown is now involved with Gala. CSS voted against the Colts.

1 hour ago, glasgow-sheep said:
On 21/03/2022 at 15:39, FairWeatherFan said:
The day has finally arrived. A few big topics on the agenda and some of the clubs make sure to communicate with their fans before making big decisions. Which should mean there's some sight over what the various proposals are.

Any chat about a national non league cup which seemed to be on the agenda you quoted?

Seems to have had a vote. No clue on the outcome. 

Pretty much rehashes much of what could be found on the thread. Touches on the B teams though.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lowland-league-relegation-rules-vote-and-old-firm-b-team-plans-explained-3622634

Where do the Old Firm B teams fit in?

Vale are propping up an 18-team league this season, with Rangers and Celtic having paid £25,000 each to play as guests in a one-season arrangement.

That came about after a Covid-curtailed 2020/21 meant there were no candidates for promotion into the Lowland League from below.

Both Old Firm colts teams are in the top four this season. Results against them do count but they can’t be promoted or relegated.

Are the Old Firm colts staying in the league?

Both halves of the Old Firm indicated at the meeting that they would like to stay in the Lowland League next season.

However, more detailed discussions about the substance of a longer-term arrangement and the tightening up of rules would be required before any vote takes place.

With no firm proposals in place yet, any potential vote is not expected any time soon.

What is their case for remaining?

The Old Firm initially claimed they would attracted bigger crowds. While that is true, the general increase in attendances is probably not quite as big as anticipated.

It was hoped they would raise the profile and attract league sponsorship, but the jury is out on that one too. A new league sponsor has only recently been announced from elsewhere.

Lowland League coaches and players players have certainly relished the challenge of taking on some of the best up-and-coming young talents in the country.

The Old Firm have helped raise the standard right across the league.

Is it all about money?

Despite suggestions that the Old Firm ‘bought’ their way in, the combined £50,000 entry fee isn’t thought to be the major factor for members.

True, it all helps. But the money goes to the league rather than the member clubs themselves and £50,000 between 16 clubs is not a game-changer.

What would need to change?

If they are to stay, member clubs will want to tighten up rules on fixture rescheduling and player eligibility.

Both Rangers and Celtic have had games moved to fit in with other commitments – often disrupting member clubs.

Their team line-ups have also changed substantially from week to week leading to accusations that it undermines sporting integrity.

What is the problem?

It was agreed when the arrangement was put in place that players who made five or more first-team appearances shouldn’t play in the Lowland League again.

There was also supposed to be a squad limit in place for each colts team of 22 players for the season, with a maximum age of U-20 plus one U-21 outfield and one U-21 goalkeeper.

But the updated Lowland League rules took so long to be signed off by the Scottish FA – well after the season had started – that the guidelines could never be properly tested or enforced.

What about Hearts?

Hearts did expressed an interest to enter a B team next season, but they are understood not to have followed up on the idea.

That probably makes it easier for member clubs if it comes to another vote. Admitting two guest teams would be far easier than three. Two is complicated enough.

14 hours ago, archieb said:

I can't understand why so many are assuming VoL voted for no increased relegation and promotion.

They're all but certain to go down THIS season, so it hardly creates a problem for them - if anything, it'd have been to their advantage!

Reasonable point but worth noting they are still only 6 points back of Gretna with a series of easier looking games against the clubs in the 20 to 30 points range who have nothing much to play for at this point to round off the season. Would be suprising if they stay up (assuming the Elgin - Bonnyrigg scenario doesn't happen) but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Poor from the LL teams unfortunately I have no doubt the HL teams would also do the same thing if they have a vote on the same issue, saving grace for HL at the moment is that there is not many teams currently licensed in tiers below but this will change in next couple of years.

As alluded to before the HL & LL are in no position now to be arguing for automatic promotion to L2 if they are now acting like the SPFL operating a closed shop.

56 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

Poor from the LL teams unfortunately I have no doubt the HL teams would also do the same thing if they have a vote on the same issue, saving grace for HL at the moment is that there is not many teams currently licensed in tiers below but this will change in next couple of years.

As alluded to before the HL & LL are in no position now to be arguing for automatic promotion to L2 if they are now acting like the SPFL operating a closed shop.

This point is becoming increasingly shite. If the LL acts like the change that everyone wants to see, then it puts pressure above to open up themselves.

The 'what about them shtick' doesn't really work anymore because all they've done over the last 18 months is alienate anyone that had sympathy for their cause. It's one extra place and you've probably got the league's below back on their side. It shouldn't be that difficult.